Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach bouncing repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
Can someone give me the link of the thread that described which capacitors inside the tach need to be replaced to keep it from jumping all over the place.

-Britain
bd1308
i thought it was the springs that needed to be adjusted in order to stop the bouncing?Caps sound more feasable though
Britain Smith
Is there no one who can help me out with this?
Demick
I'm guessing that it is just a matter of replacing some of the electrolytic caps inside the tach. I offered to do some research on this a few years back to see if I could come up with a fix - the offer was for a few people to send me their bouncing tachs (I would pay shipping), and I would see what I could come up with. If I could successfully come up with a fix and repair any of the tachs which were sent to me, then I offered that they could have them back - they just had to pay the postage both ways and parts costs.

Nobody took me up on the offer.

I don't think anyone has an official fix except to send it to PA Speedo and pay $180 for a new circuit board.

Demick
J P Stein
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Feb 23 2005, 11:45 AM)
Is there no one who can help me out with this?

IIRC, it's a resistor that can be applied externally.
I saw it in "up fixen" I think.
I'll see if I can root it out.....it could take a while.
scruz914
There was some discussion on tach bounce here but nothing to really correct it.

Tach Thread

I think that PA Speedo would be the best way to go.

Mark Henry
Yep I have the fix...toss it for a autometer monster rolleyes.gif

IMHO you need it for that bad boy your building and it's a 100 times better tach. Fits the stock hole perfect.

bd1308
will the sportcomp guage work with our stock wiring?
JmuRiz
If it matters, my tach bounces a LOT less now that I'm running a Crane Optical points system and their box/coil. Might have something do do with it. Anyone have a bouncing tack that's using a Mallory or any other dizzy?
Mark Henry
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 23 2005, 04:15 PM)
will the sportcomp guage work with our stock wiring?

No problem on the tach, I put connectors on it so I didn't have to cut the stock wiring.
Little bit of black RTV and stick it in.

The issue is you lose the turn and high beam lights. I got a couple of 12v mini lights from radio shack and did a stelthy install in the e-brake light lens. You could just drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the panel.

Thing is as solid as a rock and no more boldblue.gif
scotty914
if somebody sends me a tach i can figure a poor man fix, or even a new board. i would sell the fix for 5 bucks or the board for a little over cost. but my tach does not bounce so i cant use mine for a test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.