Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Outer door handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
Putting some more parts on #269. This week, outer door handles.

The door latches have been cleaned with solvent and lightly lubed with lubriplate

By themselves, the latches work great. Both catches work and release fine.

When I put the outer door handles on, the door won't latch.... Manually moving the prawl back and forth with the door open. After a few times of moving back and forward will result in the prawl catching.

I've got the handle with "R" embossed in the passenger door, and L in the driver

In looking at the two handles, I can't see any difference.

Any thoughts?
stevegm
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jun 9 2015, 08:13 PM) *

Putting some more parts on #269. This week, outer door handles.

The door latches have been cleaned with solvent and lightly lubed with lubriplate

By themselves, the latches work great. Both catches work and release fine.

When I put the outer door handles on, the door won't latch.... Manually moving the prawl back and forth with the door open. After a few times of moving back and forward will result in the prawl catching.

I've got the handle with "R" embossed in the passenger door, and L in the driver

In looking at the two handles, I can't see any difference.

Any thoughts?

IIRC, a slight difference in the curvature of the flap. But, you've got it correct - R is passenger, L is drivers side.
era vulgaris
The handles follow the curve of the door. If they're on the wrong side you can tell if you're looking for it. At a passing glance though it's a small enough deviation that it might not be noticed.
mr914
So, left to right swapping is not the problem.

Any suggestion on why the door won't latch when the outer handle is bolted on the right door?
rgalla9146
You've had both of the door latch mechanisms out of the doors, cleaned them and lubed them ? operated them in your hands and they work smoothly on both catches ?
does the lock feature slide up and down easily with a positive stop, up and down ? and in and out ?
If not, start over.
Is it possible that when you mount the handle that it is pushing in on the release arm ?
When it is mounted can you lock and unlock with the key ?
Hank914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 9 2015, 07:37 PM) *

You've had both of the door latch mechanisms out of the doors, cleaned them and lubed them ? operated them in your hands and they work smoothly on both catches ?
does the lock feature slide up and down easily with a positive stop, up and down ? and in and out ?
If not, start over.
Is it possible that when you mount the handle that it is pushing in on the release arm ?

popcorn[1].gif

I'm also interested in this topic.
My outside handle on the drivers door started sticking (stayed in the open position) last week, now this week doesn't open. Opens fine from inside of driver's door.

Sounds like I just need to remove, clean it, lube and replace?
mr914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 9 2015, 09:37 PM) *

If not, start over.

Yes, removed, cleaned, lubed and installed. Works fine without outer handle.

Keys work fine. Even re-keyed the lock sets so one key works for all locks.

OK, how can that happen? The nylon pusher is the same on both sides and the two gaskets are in place.

Will give switching handles from one side to another a shot.
McMark
OK, how can that happen? The nylon pusher is the same on both sides and the two gaskets are in place.
Bent internal release mechanism.
Rob-O
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 10 2015, 07:17 AM) *

Yup, what Mark said. Probably mashed on when the mechanism was all gummed up and now is slightly bent.
URY914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 10 2015, 08:17 AM) *

Yep. Not the handle it's the door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.