Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Composite Carbon Fiber 914 parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jd74914
QUOTE(dovsky @ Aug 12 2015, 02:38 AM) *

If anyone is interested on a grade-B CF hood, I’ll be happy to provide a quote.

Do you have a rough estimate on costs for a B-grade hood?
SirAndy
Getty CF 911-style dash, now discontinued.

I got one of the few they ever made. Had to be trimmed to fit the roll-cage.
cheer.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

dovsky
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 13 2015, 10:03 PM) *

QUOTE(dovsky @ Aug 12 2015, 02:38 AM) *

If anyone is interested on a grade-B CF hood, I’ll be happy to provide a quote.

Do you have a rough estimate on costs for a B-grade hood?

Here is a bit more than a rough estimate. Please note upfront that group buys are highly encouraged in order to split the tooling cost, it makes a huge difference!
Click to view attachment

Lead-time: is 6-8 weeks + 1 week for shipping.

Payment Method: PayPal (an invoice will be issued stating all terms & conditions of the sale).

Payment Terms: 75% due upon ordering, 25% due before ship day.

Tooling cost includes main and inner skin molds & consumables. Molds will remain the property of Composite Dimensions.

*B-surface = bare CF finish without any clear coat or scratch protection. It will still require a proficient body shop to mask, prep, sand, prime, paint and apply several coats of clear coat to achieve best results.

The hood skin and the underside skin will be infused separately and bonded together using an automotive grade 2-part epoxy specially designed for composite materials. The end-result will be an ultra-light and incredibly strong single-piece structure with superior mechanical characteristics compared to equivalent steel & fiberglass alternatives. The estimated weight is < 20 kg. By comparison, a fiberglass equivalent weights ~25 Kg (actual weight will be validated after the 1st hood is made).

Hood includes:
mounting points for direct bolt-on.

Hood excludes: mounting hardware (latch mechanism, bolts, etc.). These items can be transplanted from the original hood by the customer.

Fits: all Porsche 914 models years (1970-76).

This quote is valid for 30 days.
aircooledtechguy
I made these at my buddy's shop in my spare time.

IPB Image

He's set-up to make this type of stuff using the infusion process. Here's a time laps of me infusing one of my panel blanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJl45lVULg

They dance in the light. . .
dovsky
QUOTE(dovsky @ Aug 13 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 13 2015, 01:59 AM) *

What about a class-A naked CF roof? The 914 looks right with the black roof so a CF one would fit in but be a really nice custom piece. And it would be losing weight where you would want to ...not that the FG roof weighs that much.

I think that someone in Germany already attempted to make CF roof tops; I'll look for that thread. In my case, the cost of engineering and producing such product would be much higher to what I think potential customers would be willing to pay. The roof top design is significantly more complex than say a hood. The latching mechanism would need to be adapted to work on a much lighter part and would have to undergo serious tests in order to ensure safety and proper sealing. Keeping noise and vibration within tolerable levels at high speeds would also be a challenge. This would be a great one-off project if cost is not the primary concern.

Here, I found the thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=246444
The memeber making these tops is located in Canada not Germany, my bad...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.