Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Avenue is Bright
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 29 2015, 08:55 AM) *

The two wires in your hand are for the cigarette lighter.

Can't do much with the blurry pics. If you're using a cell phone, get a camera. If you're using a camera, set it to Macro mode. Or take the pictures from farther back. Good light on the subject can reduce blur as well so get out the shoplights.

You're right. I got deeper in and saw the bigger starter wire in there (yellow) and the larger live wire (orange?). The PO deleted the cigarette lighter and the fasten seat belt light. Wires are still there though.

EdwardBlume
I made some progress though .....
EdwardBlume
I adjusted the headlights so they are down at lights off. The relays or motors still click when you connect the battery.

Pulling the light switch on to park, the 4 corners lit up, but pulling the headlights on doesn't lift the lights or light the H4s.

Pulling the hazard switch lit up the dash but no flashing. Turn signal does not work.

Progress.
Mike Bellis
I found lots of little things with Rob's car but nothing major. I guess the biggest issue if you call it that was the fuel cut off relay was connected to constant power and not switched, so it would always cut off fuel. Up/Down on one headlight flipped. Park turn wires on front left turn signal was flipped. Brake light switch arm not hitting brake pedal assembly correctly. Lots of corrosion in lamp sockets. Had to run fuel level signal to center console. connect center console gauges. connect and wire radio and speakers. install LED front lamp boards. The biggest this messing with me (and him) at the beginning was the loose ground at the battery. I would have power and them no power. Once we got it tight, it was easy to track down the issues.

Things to do:
Reconnect starter (yellow) wire at started. It's removed for testing.
Tighten all oil lines and fittings, fill with oil!
Reinstall interior pieces. (some we removed today)
Bleed brakes.
Tie up loose wire and cables.
Charge battery.

The PO did a pretty good job on the wiring even though I fixed some of his work. The car is super clean! Every part is new or restored. This is the first time I spent real time in/on this car and I want it! Just beautiful... wub.gif
kconway
Wow, sorry guys. I knew it needed some sorting but had no idea I goofed up so many of the connections. Glad you made some progress.

Kevin
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(kconway @ Aug 10 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Wow, sorry guys. I knew it needed some sorting but had no idea I goofed up so many of the connections. Glad you made some progress.

Kevin

Kevin, this car is amazing! These sort of issues are pretty normal when reassembling a car. Poor Rob has color blindness which compounds the troubleshooting issue. I will be back in a couple weeks to help finish sorting out the last few items and get this thing running.

I really love this car. It reminds me of my first 914. It's almost like a new car with all the parts being new or restored. Rob really wants to sell it to me... poke.gif
EdwardBlume
Big thanks to Mike Bellis... aktion035.gif

There's a few more things on the list, but definitely close.

Additional items:
1) Fog lights don't power - switch is lit, power OK to S1, fuse OK, yellow wires are connected between lights, but no juice. Either the switch or the relay.

2) No horn

3) No high beam - may need to replace both column levers

4) Replace stub pipes

5) Alignment

6) Front valence...

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kconway @ Aug 10 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Kevin

Your work was / is very good. Thanks for labeling stuff!
Dave_Darling
For the fog lights, turn them on and check for power at the fuse, and after the fuse, and on the wire, and at the socket. Remember that the stock circuit requires the headlights to be on in order to send power to the fog lights.

For the horn, there is a separate relay on top of the fuse panel for the horn. When the brown/white wire going up the steering column is grounded, the relay gets triggered, and sends power to the horn. So check that the correct pin (85 or 86?) on the relay gets grounded when you press the horn button, and that the relay has power on the other of those two pins and 30 as well, when the key is on. And so on.

--DD
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 11 2015, 09:57 PM) *

For the fog lights, turn them on and check for power at the fuse, and after the fuse, and on the wire, and at the socket. Remember that the stock circuit requires the headlights to be on in order to send power to the fog lights.

For the horn, there is a separate relay on top of the fuse panel for the horn. When the brown/white wire going up the steering column is grounded, the relay gets triggered, and sends power to the horn. So check that the correct pin (85 or 86?) on the relay gets grounded when you press the horn button, and that the relay has power on the other of those two pins and 30 as well, when the key is on. And so on.

--DD

I have power at the fuse, but no power to the lights. The high beam isn't working so I think that's it. Might just ground the blue/white wire to check.

Horn is now working! The dino wheel adapter wasn't making contact so I cleaned the grease off the inside ring, bent the inner flaps out, and honk! cheer.gif
Mike Bellis
Actually the high beams are the only lights working. That is why the fogs do not work. They have to be off to trigger the fog relay. You need a new hi/lo relay. I have a Saab relay we can make work by adding a jumper to one of the pins.

For those that care... If you remove the white/blue wire from the high beam fuse and ground it, the fogs will work on high or low lights. If you also take the power lead (from the headlight switch) and give it power, the fogs will work any time.

For Rob... That is the smaller white wire with a dark stripe. I think it's connected to fuse 2.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 14 2015, 06:22 PM) *

Actually the high beams are the only lights working. That is why the fogs do not work. They have to be off to trigger the fog relay. You need a new hi/lo relay. I have a Saab relay we can make work by adding a jumper to one of the pins.

For those that care... If you remove the white/blue wire from the high beam fuse and ground it, the fogs will work on high or low lights. If you also take the power lead (from the headlight switch) and give it power, the fogs will work any time.

For Rob... That is the smaller white wire with a dark stripe. I think it's connected to fuse 2.

Thanks Mike. I replaced the wiper switch but the 74 turn signal switch didn't line up. I think I must have a 75 switch on the late 74.

My hi lo switch doesn't exist and nothing catches when pulling the lever back...

i think it's time to put the interior back in, then check the oil lines.
EdwardBlume
Oh and thanks...
Mike Bellis
When I was there, I could hear the relay click. This means there is nothing wrong with the switch. You only need the relay.

Oh, you're welcome.
EdwardBlume
Does the Saab relay take care of the H4s or are additional wiring needed?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 17 2015, 05:45 PM) *

Does the Saab relay take care of the H4s or are additional wiring needed?

The Saab relay has extra external pins that are joined in the 914 relay. The Saab is also electronic switching and does not rely on the old coil/cam system like the 914. It's also twice as wide but will tuck up nicely under the dash.

Here is my thread on this mod for your reading pleasure...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...lectronic+relay
EdwardBlume
I tested the interior light and got 6 volts. Too low to light the lamp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.