Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at buying a 914-6 - Opinions needed ASAP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
Just a few months ago that car would have sold very quickly. Fewer cars are going back to Europe due to the exchange rate not being as favorable as it once was. Also, I don't have any empirical data, but, it feels like the market is slowing for cars that need work
rgalla9146
I didn't see that it finished at $24,000 on Ebay.
That is a surprise.
This year, a non-number matching, non-running 6 with many needs including floor rust sold for $31,000. Silver too. And it stayed here.
I like the Torque Thrusts, nice, period correct American Racing wheels.
The American twist on Minilites.
If it was within 300 miles I'd be looking it over.
Nine_14
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Jun 19 2015, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 19 2015, 08:02 AM) *

Yes, seems like a pretty decent car. It looks somewhat similar in condition to my green car when I got it. And I think the investment required is similar.

I think the math is something like:

$30k - buy the car
$10k - metal/rust/body work
$10k - paint
$5k - interior
$20k - rebuild engine and transmission
$10k - lots of small parts, bolts, rubber, plating, etc

= $85k total + a bazillion hours of work and you have a REALLY nice 914 that you could probably sell for $80k-$85k. But that's at least a year from now, so prices will either be way up, or you'll have $85k into a $40k 914!

But if you're going to do the project to keep it for a long time and have fun, this seems like a really great start.

-Steve

agree.gif
As in every restoration it is more likely that you will find some more things to do and this sum, Steve has mentioned, may rise.

Costs can be reduced by doing most of the work by your own.
somd914
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jun 28 2015, 08:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Jun 19 2015, 02:21 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 19 2015, 08:02 AM) *

Yes, seems like a pretty decent car. It looks somewhat similar in condition to my green car when I got it. And I think the investment required is similar.

I think the math is something like:

$30k - buy the car
$10k - metal/rust/body work
$10k - paint
$5k - interior
$20k - rebuild engine and transmission
$10k - lots of small parts, bolts, rubber, plating, etc

= $85k total + a bazillion hours of work and you have a REALLY nice 914 that you could probably sell for $80k-$85k. But that's at least a year from now, so prices will either be way up, or you'll have $85k into a $40k 914!

But if you're going to do the project to keep it for a long time and have fun, this seems like a really great start.

-Steve

agree.gif
As in every restoration it is more likely that you will find some more things to do and this sum, Steve has mentioned, may rise.

Costs can be reduced by doing most of the work by your own.

True, but becomes very time consuming, thus the reason so many partially-finished restorations show up on the market. Thus one has to be very dedicated to cause...

As for BillH's comment about the market slowing, time will tell if it really is. The bubble will burst at some point, but the unknown is how much longer before we reach that point.

But if one has the funds and is looking to own for the sake of ownership rather than as an investment, then the market being high or low doesn't really matter.
EdwardBlume
Dead on with the exchange rate. I don't expect anything more than a temporary lull though. I think 20-30 below the average now is the new floor.
EdwardBlume
BTW - I hate when people nickel and dime a potential restoration. Yes, you do have to have a budget, but love the car! That is if you are an enthusiast.

That black car needs some love, and your losses if any will well be worth the journey, and the downside of full loss is minimal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.