Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: phenolic spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
seems that intake gaskets already have the phenolic section included??

pic from ebay.
Dave_Darling
Yes, they do. I think there are also ones available without, though.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2015, 08:01 AM) *

agree.gif

You can also get the paper gaskets separately, but i highly recommend using the thicker phenolic spacers, even for carb conversions ...
smile.gif
BeatNavy
Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question: I replaced my intake runner gaskets a while back with the Reinz product (I don't think the one pictured above). Was I supposed to use something else as well? I'm not familiar with phenolic gaskets. I have stock D-Jet...
dcecc1968
Thanks for posting this... I have a set of phenolic spacers to install on mine and was thinking that I needed to order gaskets for both sides, now I know better
-Don
Boxeer
Phenolic is harder than the gasket material. I recommend that you use 2 gasket on each side ;-)

Greg
jimkelly
i think the above reinz ASSY pictured, is a phenolic spacer with a gasket on both sides.

so an order for 2ea assy should be all that is needed.
DBCooper
Just to clarify, with dual carbs, IDF's or DRLA's, use the phenolics because they'll keep the fuel in those carbs from heating up and even boiling. But with a center mounted carburetor you really DON'T want to use phenolic spacers. Reason is that with that long run from the carburetor to the head the runners tend to ice up in hot weather and fuel mixture will form droplets. Means it's a good thing to get some heat up into the runners, and no worry because the fuel in a center carb is too far away from the heads to ever get hot enough to boil the fuel in the bowl.

I know that may be a bit counter-intuitive, cool dual carbs, heat a single carb, but that's how it works.

jimkelly
thanks DB : )

Elliot Cannon
I have had dual 44idf's on my car for eleven years without the phenolic spacers and have never had an issue. biggrin.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 24 2015, 06:38 PM) *

I have had dual 44idf's on my car for eleven years without the phenolic spacers and have never had an issue. biggrin.gif

Means you have a well-built engine so it ran cool. But get the timing off, mixture a bit lean, restrictive exhaust, cam not well matched to the heads/exhaust, etc, etc in the summer and you'll run it hot and cook your fuel. So good job on that engine. (eleven years... engines?). No big deal, most of us have a set or two in a box somewhere, so use them. Cheap insurance.

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 24 2015, 06:21 PM) *

... cool dual carbs, heat a single carb, but that's how it works.

Close, but not quite there. It's actually: Cool dual carbs, throw away single carbs.

biggrin.gif

--DD
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 24 2015, 08:58 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jun 24 2015, 06:21 PM) *

... cool dual carbs, heat a single carb, but that's how it works.

Close, but not quite there. It's actually: Cool dual carbs, throw away single carbs.

biggrin.gif

--DD

You know Dave, I've repeated your "float test" for single carbs a number of times. Best explanation I've heard, so thanks. In this case it's temporary, so it's OK, but when he's done he can do the float test himself.

toadman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2015, 10:24 AM) *

agree.gif

You can also get the paper gaskets separately, but i highly recommend using the thicker phenolic spacers, even for carb conversions ...
smile.gif

Who sells the paper gaskets separately?
stugray
QUOTE(toadman @ Jul 1 2015, 07:11 AM) *

agree.gif

smile.gif

I only used the paper gaskets when the spacers were new.
Now I just put a thin coat of RTV Blue on each side of the spacers.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(toadman @ Jul 1 2015, 06:11 AM) *

agree.gif

smile.gif

You might try here. http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21
toadman
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 1 2015, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(toadman @ Jul 1 2015, 06:11 AM) *

agree.gif

smile.gif

You might try here. http://www.cbperformance.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=21

They have them. Thanks for the tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.