Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6....opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamtime
Good afternoon all.

Newbie here who has been lurking for a few days getting to know your site (very nice...many knowledgeable people here) and I would like to ask for your input.

I have a client who has a 1970 914-6. Never hit, never "restored", one repaint some 20 years ago. Some details:

- 67,000 documented miles
- all paperwork since new (COA, window sticker, receipts)
- original black on black car
- climate controlled storage since new
- completely sorted...runs, drives, stops as it is expected to be
- glass has no chips/cracks, interior has no rips/tears/cracks/separations, paint is very good condition
- I would rate this car as a solid 2+ condition...it's been loved

The only modification to this car (other than maintenance items) is circa 1980 the original (still operational) numbers matching engine was pulled and prepped for long term storage and put on a stand. A later 3.0L of undetermined origin replaced it and powers it to this day.

My question for all you fine folks, is what should we be looking at for an insured value?

I understand that 914-6s (and Porsches in general) are hotter than hot right now, and I cannot find a car in similar condition as a comparable.

Any questions, thoughts and/or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
mepstein
If it was mine I would do $80k.
rick 918-S
Without photos of the usual rust areas it would be hard to gauge. But for 80k it would take one hell of hit to total it. And for 80k I think you could find a comparable car. But do your homework.
whitetwinturbo
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jun 24 2015, 04:04 PM) *

agree.gif
welcome.png
Johny Blackstain
welcome.png
Original black exterior is a rare color in 1970. Keep that original engine w/ the car @ all costs. More info is needed & lots & lots of pics as well. I would insure @ no less than $70k US & go up from there, if the condition of the car is as nice as you say.
Jamtime
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 24 2015, 05:09 PM) *

agree.gif
welcome.png

...lol...I thoroughly understand...but pics cannot be posted.

Yet anyway....working on that.

Car has zero rust...lived in California for the first 20 years of it's life originally owned by a Porsche collector.

Keep the opinions coming!

Mueller
QUOTE(Jamtime @ Jun 24 2015, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 24 2015, 05:09 PM) *

agree.gif
welcome.png

...lol...I thoroughly understand...but pics cannot be posted.

Yet anyway....working on that.

Car has zero rust...lived in California for the first 20 years of it's life originally owned by a Porsche collector.

Keep the opinions coming!

I don't think it matters what number we come up with...the appraiser will give real world numbers unless they have never seen a 914 before, but one would think they'd do their homework and find similar cars.

toolguy
IIRC, Black was not an available color for 1970, even as an option. . did not become available until 71 as an option for a SIX. . That being said, who knows what Porsche did for custom ordered cars. . I'd love to see the COA stating paint code 10 as black was designated for Six's.
altitude411
rest assured there is some rust, somewhere on the car there is some rust. welcome.png

* enter the vin in the data base if you can http://www.914world.com/specs/chasnrs.php
rick 918-S
Do you have the COA to verify the factory black paint?
Cairo94507
Absolutely $75-85K all day long if all checks out. But you really need to post pictures for us to drool over. And....
welcome.png
Mike Fitton
Call hagerty insurance leave a message for the owner McKeel Hagerty tell them what car you have and he will call you back. You have a six figure car if paint color is correct. I have a '70 914-6 in tangerine with 96,000 miles and have it insured for $75k which I will increase next year. My car is numbers matching and original color also have a 2.7 installed with original 2.0 in storage. I am posting from my phone so I will ad some pictures when I get to my computer.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Around here, pictures are worth a thousand more comments. type.gif
Cairo94507
Mike - Love your car wub.gif .
Jamtime
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 25 2015, 08:54 AM) *

Call hagerty insurance leave a message for the owner McKeel Hagerty tell them what car you have and he will call you back. You have a six figure car if paint color is correct. I have a '70 914-6 in tangerine with 96,000 miles and have it insured for $75k which I will increase next year. My car is numbers matching and original color also have a 2.7 installed with original 2.0 in storage. I am posting from my phone so I will ad some pictures when I get to my computer.

Thank you!

I have my cars with Hagerty, so I'm very familiar with them. The dilemma is that cross-referencing classic insurance companies, there is a large disparity with values.

Same for appraisers (as we all know).

Getting more information now, but the original owner is claimed to be a Karmann exec, who did special order it black.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I got called out about it at a show and had to produce the paperwork to prove it".

So it definitely needs to go through a deep dive.

Thanks again, everyone, for all your input!
Johny Blackstain
Like I said before, black in 1970 is an extremely rare color.
cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.