Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bad starter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Did my starter go bad? I have it all hooked up and still just a single click when cranking? Battery is out of another vehicle and working fine.
Dave_Darling
How's the ground? It should ground through the transmission case to the ground strap from the trans to the body.

What happens if you short +12V directly to the terminal where the yellow wire plugs in?

--DD
last337
Well I pulled everything apart and replaced ground to battery and cable from battery to starter as well as cleaning the transmission ground strap post and sure enough that did it.

Maybe I should start a thread called 'things I learned the hard way'. I would put this along with cleaning out fuel tank immediately as two of those things. I must have chased fuel problems around for months before just diving into tank and fixing all that.

Thanks for advice! Now just to get it back on the road! Its been almost two years since I first took it apart to fix rust issues. Now I have a solid tub and a motor that still seems to run fine!
steuspeed
Could be the switch. These are known to go bad. I just replaced mine.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(last337 @ Jun 28 2015, 06:35 PM) *

Well I pulled everything apart and replaced ground to battery and cable from battery to starter as well as cleaning the transmission ground strap post and sure enough that did it.

Maybe I should start a thread called 'things I learned the hard way'. I would put this along with cleaning out fuel tank immediately as two of those things. I must have chased fuel problems around for months before just diving into tank and fixing all that.

Thanks for advice! Now just to get it back on the road! Its been almost two years since I first took it apart to fix rust issues. Now I have a solid tub and a motor that still seems to run fine!

Good job! Glad you got it sorted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.