Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a change...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
McMark
About 10 days ago my wife was officially offered a transfer to the new Trader Joes opening in Grand Rapids, MI. We have friends who live there and have been almost every year for the last 12 years. It’s a great place and we decided to take the plunge and make the move. It’s all been happening very fast, so it’s a little scary, but very exciting.

I’m moving Original Customs and will be finding a bigger shop (for half the rent) and continuing to do restoration work, engine building, and all the other projects I’ve been working on. The tricky part was that I don’t want to abandon the customers I have in CA and so I realized the easiest solution was to just get a nice trailer and plan on transporting projects myself. This also expands the range I can service. Before I was mainly seeing people from the west coast, and I’ll now be able to help people from all over the country. With constant email and photo updates, a car that’s 2000 miles away would be the same as a car thats 50 miles away. I’m also considering building an ‘apartment’ into the shop and letting people stay there and work on their project. Maybe do a little welding training, let people blast and powdercoat some of their own parts, etc.

Right now I’m still working on the details of the move and communicating with the people who’s cars are already in the shop now. Then I’ll be contacting the people who are on my wait-list to see who still interested in having work done. If anyone would like to talk about their project, drop me a PM.

Plus, now I can give Rick Ollah some competition for all those Furthest Distance Travelled awards. poke.gif

Here's my new four car hauler before we renovate it. happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif Do you know how cold it can get in Michigan?? Sorry to see you leaving the west coast but at least now you might get to work on the limo again. laugh.gif
McMark
but at least now you might get to work on the limo again.
av-943.gif

The average low in Grand Rapids is a terrible 22degrees. Average low in Napa, 34degrees. Oh the horror! poke.gif
EdwardBlume
Congratulations Mark! Out in Michigan, you can buy a lot more of everything.

Let me know if you need some help cleaning up, and when your big garage sale is. drooley.gif
ConeDodger
This is of course huge news! I can't say I'm happy about it, but I do wish you luck!

I wondered when you were going to inform the World... biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Yeah, but it's 22 degrees a lot more often in Michigan. Good luck with the move. beerchug.gif If you need help moving furniture and such, I'll probably be out of the country that day or I'd be there for ya. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
Sounds like right move. Obviously trader joe's values your wife and her skills. Best of luck! If like last year you shouldn't have to worry about snow until October. smile.gif
jimkelly
all the very best !!!
Hank914
Congrats... The cost of living in Cali Norte is outrageous. Michigan will be colder and cheaper, but I hear it's a dry kinda cold. And just ship the wine over when you need you Napa fix.
montoya 73 2.0
thumb3d.gif
DBCooper
And you'll get a LOT of practice dealing with rust. BONUS!!

[and one of the conclusions you'll draw is that you really really don't like rust]

Having moved here from somewhere else I just remembered another major difference. In California when you wake up in the morning and walk outside you're in California.

Mike Bellis
sad.gif Congrats!

You will be missed and there will be a void in NorCal when you are gone.
matthepcat
Big loss for the Bay Area community. Good luck out in the cold white north....and humid in the summer with lots of mosquitoes smile.gif

Worth it to grow your shop an business if you ask me.
Mikey914
Congrats Mark,
This is a big opportunity, looking forward to seeing what you get worked out.
beerchug.gif
balljoint
A little over 300 miles away. Howdy new neighbour!

smile.gif
rick 918-S
Any way I slice it it's under 700 miles or under 12 hours from here. Doable in a day's drive. a long weekend could produce interesting results. BTW: there should be some old industrial digs you can get there for a should space.
JRust
Wow that is huge news! Sounds like a good change of pace for you. Hate to see you go man. Not that is a simple deal from me to drop my car off for work now evilgrin.gif . I sure appreciate all your help with my cars & questions on things. Obviously I can still pester you with questions. Hopefully you & Rick can make some serious Caravan's out for event's. WCR wouldn't be the same without you drunk.gif happy11.gif
GaroldShaffer
Well you will only be about 2 hours from me so no reason not to come to my annual 914 BBQ in August (if you are Grand Rapids by then). biggrin.gif

Once you find where the shop will be let us "locals" know and if need I know some of us would be more than happy to help you get the place setup.

beerchug.gif
Zimms
Cool! Congratulations! 3 hours away! + what Garold said on the help.
mepstein
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 28 2015, 08:34 PM) *

av-943.gif

The average low in Grand Rapids is a terrible 22degrees. Average low in Napa, 34degrees. Oh the horror! poke.gif

I think your missing something there. How often does Napa get 10 feet of snow. But good luck with the move. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2015, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 28 2015, 08:34 PM) *

av-943.gif

I think your missing something there. How often does Napa get 10 feet of snow. But good luck with the move. beerchug.gif

He's not missing a thing. I come from Minnesota and both Mark and Alison have thought this through. It is the right career move for Alison and it puts Original Customs in the middle of the country. I talked to them about my experiences growing up with 10 feet of snow, though that is an exaggeration, and my only concern is Alison's Mini... Though I suppose it can be driven in the snow, it isn't the best option.
Chris Pincetich
huh.gif
sad.gif
Bummer! I mean, congratulations! biggrin.gif
Will I have to update my phone with a new phone number for Original Customs? beerchug.gif

No more excuses NOT to plan a visit soon! I've driven near the OC shop along HWY 121 several times while doing fieldwork this month and last month. Lunches at Fremont Diner. OC going away party?
NorCal will miss you shades.gif
Chris H.
thumb3d.gif Grand Rapids is a really nice town. Was just there a couple of months ago. Low cost of living and close to a lot of other fun places. Get a well-insulated shop and it'll be fine in the winter. Sounds like you're already working on it. Definitely come to Garold's if you'll be there by August!
914_teener
Good move Mark.

The Great Lakes have one third of the worlds fresh water.

Just kidding.

Happy for you and your wife. Good luck on the new location. I don't think you'll need it though.

whitetwinturbo
Time to do some INSULATING to keep down the heating costs! GLWMove!
Chris914n6
Go too big of a shop and that apartment will be the only warm place to be. Concrete tends to get stuck at the overnight temp. Just something to consider.
boxsterfan
Congrats!! But crap I was going to be bringing my car up to you later this fall.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 28 2015, 08:15 PM) *

Congrats!! But crap I was going to be bringing my car up to you later this fall.

Did you see that new trailer? He will be hauling in projects from all over the country now!

You're still covered! My 914 will be going to Michigan this winter for a top-end rebuild.

The OC can cover a lot more ground now...
Cairo94507
It is a shame to lose Mark as a Bay Area 914 resource, but obviously cars can be transported around for work. This seems like a well thought out and planned move. Mark's business will grow and his costs will go down too. first.gif
warrenoliver
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Glad to hear about this. I have been jealous of the California guys for years because they have all the resources. Now we will have a great one in our backyard.

I do have to giggle at the comparison of the average winter temps. You will forget about the average temps and pay more attention to the actual temps - especially when it gets below zero! dry.gif

Welcome to the midwest. aktion035.gif
aircooledtechguy
While change is rarely easy and a bit scary at first from moving out of one's comfort zone, it usually works out for the best in the end. I moved around quite a bit while in the Navy and I can tell you without a doubt, "Change is GOOD!!"

Congrats on your decision to take the plunge and begin a new chapter for both of you. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 28 2015, 09:46 PM) *

smile.gif

Hmmmm... maybe next year an Dr. Evil Canadian tranny clinic with special guest star McMark. idea.gif
MDG
QUOTE(balljoint @ Jun 28 2015, 09:46 PM) *

smile.gif

This 'apartment' thing at the new shop will work out nicely too! thumb3d.gif
Briby37
Best of luck, Mark. I'm a midwesterner transplanted in California. It's not so bad there, I promise. I sent you an email about my 914. Hopefully we can chat soon.
TJB/914
McMark
What great news moving to GR Michigan first.gif
You are moving into a great Grand Rapids area not far from all our beautiful lakes. Don't worry about winter just learn to enjoy it and appreciate our (4) seasons.
Great move and great business climate for your skills. Now I have a place to get my 914 worked on when needed. Call on me if you need anything.
Tom
BTW: When traveling on hwy. I-96 there is a big road sign saying Grand Rapids is the "beer" capital of MI. drooley.gif Lots of local special small brewery's beer.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 29 2015, 02:05 AM) *

Did you see that new trailer? He will be hauling in projects from all over the country now!

You're still covered! My 914 will be going to Michigan this winter for a top-end rebuild.

Rob,
We have great hospitals in MI too. piratenanner.gif Why not locate here in MI.?? Life is good in MI and we have lots of Water. popcorn[1].gif
Tom
Shadowfax
Best wishes on your move. driving.gif
Dave_Darling
So, when is the move happening? It would be great to stop by and have a farewell BBQ...

--DD
72 IXXIV
Here's wishing you continuing success in your next chapter, Mark.

I for one, will definitely miss having you in the Bay Area.

In other news, 914 lovers in the midwest just hit the jackpot.
Mueller
Dang....mixed emotions about this one!

Missed you during my 914 absence and now you are leaving as I'm getting back into them!

I guess it'll just make the meets that much more important to get to!

Good luck to the both of you, let me know if I can do anything to help.

blackmoon
Thanks for your help over the years. Michigan is a little to far to come up and help on an occasional Sunday. Wish both well with your new endeavors
gopack
It is funny because the post title grabbed my attention. I am doing the reverse move in the next 2-4 weeks. Central NY to the Bay area. maybe we will cross paths. the only difference is that i had to sell the 914 for food money a couple of years ago.
Things sure move fast once the trigger is pulled!

Good luck Mark!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jun 29 2015, 05:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 29 2015, 02:05 AM) *

Rob,
We have great hospitals in MI too. piratenanner.gif Why not locate here in MI.?? Life is good in MI and we have lots of Water. popcorn[1].gif
Tom

Bliz,
We have actually considered a move back to the Midwest. Yopu is all for it but I am pretty sure that once she experiences 3 feet of snow and -30 degrees she wouldn't come out of the house for 4-5 months out of the year. Remember, where she's from, 70 degrees is cold. I just don't think you can take a tropical girl into that...
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 28 2015, 05:43 PM) *

Sounds like right move. Obviously trader joe's values your wife and her skills. Best of luck! If like last year you shouldn't have to worry about snow until October. smile.gif

Yes and it will most likely be gone by March. So that's only 6 months of every year.
(Born in Ann Arbor, grew up in upstate NY, fled to Cali)
Brian Mifsud
Very exciting.. but sad to see you go. I visited your shop only a few times (was at Dr. Evils transaxle clinic last year with my son), but was counting on you/it as a resource when I finally start the teardown and restore of my '76. VW/Porsche shops used to be a staple in the 70's, 80's and early 90's but now finding a few in any metro area is not easy.

I'd be happy to participate in any shop clean up/parts clear out you need to do to move. Moving a shop is a massive bear (done that too many times with employers and friends) but I know my way 'round a forklift, engine hoist and heavy equipment rigging. Let us know when you need to do the heavy lifting.

I sure like the prospect of potentially using the shop now and then if arrangements can work out (the lift for suspension work rather than crawling around the floor here at home).

Greatest of luck to you and family. A great adventure.
rhodyguy
EXACTLY!!! my cousin in east aurora ny called to complain about how "she couldn't take it anymore!" every week. "gee cus, only 58 years to figure it out?". biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jgara962
So you mean I'm going to have to start working on my own car again?!?!

This is a big move and I'm sure it will be great for you and Alison. I've been spoiled having you live only a couple of miles away and the shop a 15 minute drive. You've been an incredible resource.
Dr Evil
Bad news Homie, I am less than 6hrs from there smile.gif That is closer than I am to ScottyB. Scott will be happy for the relief tongue.gif
wes
Congratulations on your big move, always fun, exciting, and memorable! You are moving to a wonderful part of the country though the winter becomes quite long come January and February (Minnesota transplant) spring and especially fall are gorgeous with the colors, what no earthquake! Real estate values are in your favor and yes you can use water with no thought to the next rainfall!
Anyway as I'm sure you know you will be missed by the westerners though thanks to the to this site we can all keep up with your new challenges.
Hey it's going to be a longer drive to the next WCR. And finally so whats the date for that going away BBQ? beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 28 2015, 06:31 PM) *

sad.gif Congrats!

You will be missed and there will be a void in NorCal when you are gone.

agree.gif What he said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.