Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo set screw leaking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I am troubleshooting the leak around the speedo cable and after cleaning it, it looks more like the leak is coming from the set screw itself. I havent put a wrench on it or anything yet but it looks like there is a crush washer on the screw itself. Is it possible this is the culprit and not the drive itself. I suspect this because it appears to be wet on the top of the drive shaft itself. I cant seem to find a part # for that crush washer or whatever it is. Also, what is the torque spec on that? I saw reference somewhere to like 9#
Shadowfax
Not to say it isn't leaking from the set screw, but the part itself might be the culprit. Check out this link when you get a chance: http://shop.914rubber.com/Speed-drive-busi...-901318243.htm#
last337
I saw that as an option but it looks to be wet above the angle drive itself which is why I suspect the set screw. I cleaned it all off again yesterday and will have to inspect closely after leak continues to be sure.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(last337 @ Jun 29 2015, 10:14 AM) *

I saw that as an option but it looks to be wet above the angle drive itself which is why I suspect the set screw. I cleaned it all off again yesterday and will have to inspect closely after leak continues to be sure.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.
McMark
Sometimes this is from the bore getting worn out and allowing the speedo-drive to wobble. The double oring speedo drive an help by stabilizing the drive in the bore.
last337
Well I have yet to get either plug out and am waiting on my 17mm to come in so hopefully I can at least get those to let go. Will start hitting them with some pb blaster or something soon.
TheCabinetmaker
You won't lose much fluid by removing the drive. Not necessary to drain trans
last337
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 29 2015, 11:37 AM) *

You won't lose much fluid by removing the drive. Not necessary to drain trans

I am just so hesitant to mess around back there with all the stories of drain/fill plugs getting stuck. Ugh!
TheCabinetmaker
Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Like I said, you won't lose any fluid by removeing the speedo drive.
last337
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 29 2015, 12:02 PM) *

Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug. Like I said, you won't lose any fluid by removeing the speedo drive.

Okay thanks! Tracking these leaks down one by one!

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Got a replacement unit with both o rings and the new shat drive here -

http://shop.914rubber.com/Speed-drive-busi...2-901318243.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.