Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How often do you drive your 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
stevegm
Here is a random question for you: How often do you drive your 914? Honestly.

I'd be particularly interested in finding out how many are driving their sixes (original or conversion) regularly. But, let's here form everyone - 4s, LEs, 6s.
76-914
I drive my Subaru 6 conversion way more than I do my stock 4. Part of that is the fun of it but the reliability of the Modern day power plant and electronics is the bigger reason.
EDIT: 1-5 times a week
iamchappy
Average from Spring through Fall i say about twice a week.
stevegm
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2015, 05:25 PM) *

I drive my Subaru 6 conversion way more than I do my stock 4. Part of that is the fun of it but the reliability of the Modern day power plant and electronics is the bigger reason.

Ya, that is what I am trying to figure out. I have 3 914s, and room for only 2. One has to go. Someone said to me that after the 6 is restored I won't drive it much. But, I don't know that I see it that way. Original six or not, it was meant to be driven.
SirAndy
2-3 times a week, more in the summer, less in the "winter" ...
driving.gif
halmil
Not enough, but my mostly stock 2.0 four banger has been dead reliable. Runs like a VW!
JoeDees
If by "drive" you mean "look at it in the garage on jackstands, shake my head and say 'someday'"... I drive it every day.
Ian Stott
Very seasonal for me, very envious of the Caleefornia guys, we get shitloads of snow here! Basically it is a fair weather car for me, I hardly ever have the roof on, I don't take it out in the rain, I've been caught in the rain but on shitty days I take another car. I put about 2K to 2.5K in a summer, but getting it sorted out right now to take across the continent, probably next summer. I have taken it to work but not often. I guess it is a pleasure cruiser for me, wife doesn't like it with the top off so when I go it is alone or part of a group of other cars. Can't imagine not having it, life would be a lot more boring!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
poorsche914
Creamsicle - driven just about every day - rain or shine; hot or cold. wacko.gif

driving.gif
dlee6204
4-5 times a week for me driving.gif
stevegm
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 30 2015, 05:54 PM) *

Creamsicle - driven just about every day - rain or shine; hot or cold. wacko.gif

driving.gif

Yes! Although I admit that rain makes me cringe. I'd have to try to avoid it.
TheCabinetmaker
Every day. Rain or shine for 40 years. That's going to change cause it will be out of the body shop in a about 3 weeks after all rust repair and complete paint.

Click to view attachment
Hank914
I bought mine as a DD, so it gets driven 6-7 times per week, when it is running. I had it up on the stands when doing the transaxle rebuild, but other than that and a few other things, it stays off the jack stands. On a good week, I'll do 30 miles a day commuting for work, with 1100 round trip weekends or 1,250. But mine is not a six, just a 29mpg 1.7L four banger. High miles can't hurt it much.
gfg3
About 2-3 times a week during the summer. Say, 1-2 times a week during the winter when I have to put the top on.
Shadowfax
At least once a week. Plan on driving it more often once I replace the suspension and add the 930 tie rods. driving.gif
Reno914
Unfortunately only a couple times a month at best, and only in the summer. Probably put less than 200 miles a year on the car.
era vulgaris
Every day that it's not raining. The 2270 really makes driving around town a lot more fun driving.gif
Larmo63
I think of all kinds of reasons to drive my 914. Check the surf, grocery getter, lottery tickets, generally screwing around just driving it, etc.

I think I drive it every day for some reason or another.
MartyYeoman
Mine's driven daily as my commute runner (4 days @ 35 mile round trip). Sometimes on the weekends too just for fun. Not so much during the winter months, but given we don't have winter here anymore, it's pretty much year round.
gandalf_025
1988, does that count ???
green914
I used mine as a daily driver for the first 6 or 7 years. Over the last 10 years or so I try to get it out on the road at least once a month. driving.gif
stevegm
Anybody out there driving an original six daily? 3, 4, or 5 days a week?
76-914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 30 2015, 03:01 PM) *

Every day. Rain or shine for 40 years. That's going to change cause it will be out of the body shop in a about 3 weeks after all rust repair and complete paint.

Click to view attachment

Curt, where is the build thread? popcorn[1].gif
JawjaPorsche
When I purchased it new in 73, I drove it everyday until I had twins in 84 then it was not an everyday driver. Couldn't accommodate two child seats! Still drive it at least 3 to 4 times a week. It is part of my life and will continue to be until I die then my son will get it.
siverson
> Anybody out there driving an original six daily? 3, 4, or 5 days a week?

Yup - that's me. Almost. I drive my green six to work 3-5 days per week.

-Steve

stevegm
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 30 2015, 08:44 PM) *

> Anybody out there driving an original six daily? 3, 4, or 5 days a week?

Yup - that's me. Almost. I drive my green six to work 3-5 days per week.

-Steve

That's great. My partner at Mid-Engineering had a silver original six (this was the late 80s). He drove it every day. It was a great daily car. I am sure I won't drive mine every day. But, I'd like to think I will drive it to work 2 or 3 times a week. We'll see.
Porschef
During the spring/summer/fall months I try to drive it once to work (82miles) and again on the weekend. Doesn't always work out but I find that the car provides a degree of therapy that I've never before found in a vehicle. wub.gif driving.gif

I do my best to never drive in the rain, in the nearly 5 years I've had it, I'd say once a year wet would be about it. smile.gif
bandjoey
18 months DD, hour a day. Now about hour a week to keep it limber. Want to drive more but it's been 45 days of rain into 99degree days with a shirt and tie job.
saigon71
During the Spring, Summer & Fall it is my daily driver rain or shine...I only use my truck for business.

The 914 gets parked as soon as the salt hits the road and I tackle the list of things to address from the 9 months of driving. driving.gif

Aside from my current FI problems (and I'm still driving it) it has been highly reliable.

wndsnd
Until I broke it last week (Shift coupling fractured), a couple times a week or more.

Annapolis914
Drive my 74 2.0 every other day in spring, summer, and fall. Usually just 3-5 miles though. Shut it down every winter.
turk22
I drive my stock 73 2.0L once per week minimum. Here in Cincinnati we have a fairly long season, where driving in Nov/Dec is common. Jan/Feb is pretty iffy howeve due to snow/salt.

I find I get antsy if I don't take her out for a spin at least once per week.
thelogo
Like twice a month

About as often as I wash her
Bossman
At least once a week. Helps take the stress of week away! It's been torn apart for a month now waiting for me to install new engine. Thanks Steve!
cpavlenko
914 1.7 daily driver, except when it's raining, or snowing.
Spoke
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 30 2015, 05:51 PM) *

If by "drive" you mean "look at it in the garage on jackstands, shake my head and say 'someday'"... I drive it every day.

agree.gif

I can relate to this!!

I do drive my 914 about 1 or 2 times a week; summer and "winter" smile.gif .
campbellcj
Lately only a few days a year, which is depressing. It's not very streetable but I think I will make an effort to put a muffler on in between track events and put around in the canyons or hit a show/meetup once in a while.
shoguneagle
Let see: Owned the car for about nine years and got it running, licensed, insured, and drivable while in Flagstaff, AZ. Was getting the car straightened out, drivable, and sorted with new replacement parts for the body including seals, suspension parts, etc. Drove it about 10-14 times.

Moving to Grants Pass, OR from Flagstaff, AZ, car got stolen including all the parts. This activity does affect your desire to rebuild something that you had already accomplished.

The car was recoved from the theft in Barstow, CA but the missing critical parts were lost. Thanks to members of this board, I was able to replace the critical parts with used ones some of which I had to repair. The electrical system was hacked and I had to rebuild it taking about one year.

Now the card is currentlly licensed, titled in Oregon; getting the engine started and eliminating some of the wiring problems associated with back connections, setting, and the like.

Have not driven in on the road except for a short test trip.
Therefore, I have driven it 15 times in 9 years.

Charlie and I are back!!!

Steve Hurt
partwerks
Haven't drove it since about last October. At the moment, I'm waiting for the body guy to wake up, and finish the body work, so it can go to the mechanic to finish. I'm guessing that will be 1-2 months.

It ain't going to be black anymore, either!!
Sedonut
Three, all projects. Someday one will be a daily driver.

I had a 914-6 from 1974 to 1978, it was my only car, I put about 45,000 miles on it.
dale73914
Once or twice a week
VegasRacer
33.3 % of my seat time is in the 914.

Sometimes it is only once a week to keep things lubricated.
Sometimes it is every day for two weeks straight.
Long road trips are my favorite. biggrin.gif
falcor75
Last time I drove mine was in.....2013.
stevegm
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jun 30 2015, 05:51 PM) *

Ya me too. I'm just "dream driving." Maybe someday they'll be done.
stevegm
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jul 1 2015, 12:52 AM) *

33.3 % of my seat time is in the 914.

Sometimes it is only once a week to keep things lubricated.
Sometimes it is every day for two weeks straight.
Long road trips are my favorite. biggrin.gif

That's how I drive my Boxster. None last week, every day the week before. 2,000 mile road trip last month.
stevegm
QUOTE(Sedonut @ Jun 30 2015, 11:58 PM) *

Three, all projects. Someday one will be a daily driver.

I had a 914-6 from 1974 to 1978, it was my only car, I put about 45,000 miles on it.

That's very cool! You really get to know a car that way.
oldschool
Lately once a month....Been to tired to get it out of the garage if you can believe that.
Funny thing my grandson Sean will not come with me on any drives...only if its in the Porsche he says lol-2.gif
Tbrown4x4
1973 1.7. 183,000 original miles.

100 miles a day since I got it about 3 months ago. I do plan on fixing my "winter car" and doing overdue repairs on the 914 when the weather is really crappy.
ripper911
Every day, rain or shine!

I'm starting to wonder if I'm driving it enough though, my commute is only 5 miles each way...
sb914
2 teeners I'd say 3,4, times a week.2.0 same with the v8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.