Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I would like your opinions on intercooler mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I am playing around with different options on installing the intercooler in the trunk. let me know what you all think. Oh, by the way I fired up the new turbo install today, man does it sound sweet.
db9146
I like the "spoiler" idea. There is likely to be a little more pressure there and the look is cleaner. You could route the air down through the intercooler and dump it just under the rear rubber top cover through the bumper. With a little bit of work on the lower valence (ie. ground effects), it would blend right in.

smile.gif
iamchappy
The spoiler and the naca ducts are the ones that Im thinking I like the best.
Carrera916
Ummm....

I liked the looks and setting of the spoiler and nasa duct positions. I also think it is the best location to get the air flow it needs.

The hood scoop and grill type is too far forward where the air is pretty much in the negative area (low air pressure, not forced).

Yes I know the original engine lid is at the negative area, however it is the engine cooling fan that sucks the outside air in and it's much easier to pull air in on the low pressure air area. With the intercooler, it needs to be in the flow of the air when driving....

Just my observation, guys.....idea.gif

j
Aaron Cox
spoiler.... it sees air at speed causing it to function
Jeroen
I think the spoiler setup will work best (for reasons explained by Jerry above)
iamchappy
If I went with the forward position with the grill and or the scoop I would help it by pulling the air through it with an electric radiator fan.
With the intercooler mounted in the rear area, I agree it will be able to catch the air better I could remove the Porsche tail lense in the rear and put some grill mesh there to allow flow through. I really want to get started on it, I even woke up this morning at 4am just to see if anyone had responded.
Jeroen
A fan would surely help if you put it to the front, but you won't get as much cooling as from "driving wind"
I'd put it in the back (spoiler)
iamchappy
Here are some ideas for exit air.
iamchappy
another
iamchappy
another
iamchappy
Another idea came to mind, Have a door open on positive vacuum like the spoiler option that raises on the Porsches when the approach 50mph. idea.gif
soloracer
I like the NACA duct and spoiler model. I was concerned how you had the air exiting but it looks pretty clean with the cut out in the rear. Does anyone know how well the air will flow back there? I was under the impression it was pretty poor and that was why most track 914's have these huge 747 wings on them.
Reiche
Looks like some air hits the very back of the trunk. Most of it swirls forward but not all.
mike_the_man
I'm going to toss my hat in for the spoiler idea as well. Kinda 930ish, I think. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to air flow, but I think it would look the cleanest.

What new turbo set up did you go with? Did I miss a thread about it?

iamchappy
I just taped off the spoiler to see how it looks, I had a few extra engine grills so I shaped and cut it to size. I will post the results.

K27 turbo 3.0 six.
mattillac
NACA ducts, vent between the tail lights and a fan(s). looks really clean. maybe just one larger naca duct?
eeyore
I'll be the a-hole on NACA ducts.

To quote:
The purpose of a NACA duct is to increase the flowrate of air through it while not disturbing the boundary layer. When the cross-sectional flow area of the duct is increased, you decrease the static pressure and make the duct into a vacuum cleaner, but without the drag effects of a plain scoop. The reason why the duct is narrow, then suddenly widens in a graceful arc is to increase the cross-sectional area slowly so that airflow doesn't separate and cause turbulence (and drag).

The NACA duct and spoiler combination seem to be a cross purposes. A spoiler creates drag, the NACA duct is to eliminate drag. The NACA duct also exists to suck air in where there isn't enough pressure to push it in. Yet, the purpose of a spoiler is to hold a pile of air on the rear of the car, which equals the pressure you need to push air into the car. You either need one or the other. To have both seems functionally 'rice-like' -- such as putting a wing on the back of a FWD car.

I'd go with a 930 look. Push the intake back to the base of the spoiler, and set the grill/intake so it is below the surface of the decklid, like a shallow funnel.
iamchappy
Well I started to rough it in. I will still have to widen the opening a little more, and I plan on sloping the opening down to direct the flow over the entire intercooler.
Here are some pictures of todays carving.
mattillac
that looks pretty cool. nevermind the naca ducts. maybe a naca duct for the turbo inlet?
use a naca duct somewhere, 'cause they look cool.
iamchappy
I want to keep it with the vintage look so I decided to do the grill into the spoiler, I may duct it out the bottum of the trunk or the reflector area.
Here is the intercooler ive choosen to go into the cut out.
iamchappy
A better picture of the hole I started to make
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.