Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how do you pull a front fender off? (gently)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BritCarJim
i've got rust between the scuttle and the PS front fender (which means it is probably in both) so i'm going to have to pull that fender. i can do "trial and error" but it is usually better to ask: how do you get that fender off? in the brit-car world i come from there are always a couple of hidden bolts in a couple of inaccessible places, thus its better to ask. folks?

(bonus pic from this afternoon....primer on the underside of the "new" front lid...the one that came with the car is FUBAR'd.)

welder.gif
mepstein
no bolts. it's all spot weldsd.
BritCarJim
damnit. i was afraid you were going to say that. so, wire brush down there as far as possible and then POR-15 down the crevice or do i need to drill out spot welds...and how many are there and where?
Mike Bellis
If you don't cut it out and fix it correctly with new metal, the rust will come back.
BritCarJim
yeah, thats the way it works on my other cars, i figured the 'teener was the same.
brant
Research spot weld drill bits

I preferred an air drill for the removal
There a lot of welds.
Not a small job
mepstein
If your front fender is that bad, your probably dealing with a lot more rust in all the usual places. Post lots of pics and the the world collective will help you.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Jul 5 2015, 07:34 PM) *
do i need to drill out spot welds...and how many are there and where?

Yes, you do. And there are about 6 million of them, all along the edges of the panel. (At least, it will feel like 6 million by the time you get done drilling them or using a spot-weld cutter on them.)

--DD
JoeDees
Totally off topic, but I love that Scout.
green914
Show us the type 3.
Bob L.
QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jul 6 2015, 10:50 AM) *

Totally off topic, but I love that Scout.

agree.gif
Elliot Cannon
I used a sabre saw. sawzall-smiley.gif av-943.gif
mbseto
Man, this is my future. Is it really better to cut sections out of the fender rather than drill spot welds and take the whole thing off? I'm very concerned about my ability to weld it back so it looks right.
Chris H.
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 6 2015, 01:21 PM) *

Man, this is my future. Is it really better to cut sections out of the fender rather than drill spot welds and take the whole thing off? I'm very concerned about my ability to weld it back so it looks right.

No it isn't. He put removable flares on that car which is why he cut the fenders that way. The old school spot weld way is the way to go to replace a fender. That's why he's av-943.gif .
rgalla9146
Cut the fender away as close to the spot welds as possible.
Then as you drill out the spot welds you will be removing a thin strip of metal, not a large, rigid, stubborn chunk.
If you are installing a used fender you'll have to do the same process removing the attached body remnants from the fender.
BritCarJim
hmm. i think this car was hit in the front at some point so i don't know yet if i have a big problem on that fender or not. i am not naive about this but since it may be a replacement fender i am not assuming anything until i get a grinder with a flapper wheel and a drill with a wire-brush-wheel after it. i have done the spot-weld bit before. i come from the world of brit cars, remember? when i can get the nose of the teener in the garage and dig into that corner, i will see what i have.

i will stick up a pic of my '72 GT with bits off and spot welds drilled off.

i will also still up a pic showing the mystery car....the gray four door that you could see a bit of in the pic i put in the lead post...and which might look a bit like a type 3...is a 1963 MG Magnette IV. yes, it is a four door MG. it has the drive train out of the MGA II (4 cyl BMC B-series 1622, four speed, dual SU carbs--HD4s in the 1.5 inch, i think) though some bits of the clutch and brake hydraulics were unobtainium on these shores. she is a positive ground car. she is one of the projects i am working on now. i have her mechanically good enough to drive around the driveway though i have now pulled the carpet and am assessing the floorboards.

the Scout is a 1963 Scout 80. 4 cylinder 4WD. another project that followed me home. she has the character of a farm tractor and maxes out at 45 mph, but will do that straight up a phone pole in 4WD. it is a work in process like all of my cars...the biggest thing it needs is floorboards, but since they aren't structural, its no big deal. beer3.gif

welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Jul 6 2015, 08:59 PM) *
i have done the spot-weld bit before. i come from the world of brit cars, remember?

Oh, I figured that those all bolted the body onto a wood frame.... wink.gif

--DD
Old Yella
Is that blue car a Morris Oxford or a Worsley 28/40.
beech4rd
If you read the posts above, you'll discover it's a MG Magnette. The cars you list and the Magnette were badge engineered BMC cars with design by PininFarina.
BritCarJim
yeah, the T-series sportscars from after WW2 into the 1950s had wood in the bodies (on steel chassis) but after that...not so much. my driver is a '72 B GT (sportscar) and i have a '77 B ragtop but the 4 door cars have a certain allure as well. this being the MG version of the badge engineered car, it has the engine in MG tune and the MG badging and trim but truthfully, it carries the "sacred octagon," the MG symbol. very emotive for those of addicts.

now, having said that...i have this Porsche....which i think i can certainly learn to love...
cpavlenko
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Jul 6 2015, 08:59 PM) *

hmm. i think this car was hit in the front at some point so i don't know yet if i have a big problem on that fender or not. i am not naive about this but since it may be a replacement fender i am not assuming anything until i get a grinder with a flapper wheel and a drill with a wire-brush-wheel after it. i have done the spot-weld bit before. i come from the world of brit cars, remember? when i can get the nose of the teener in the garage and dig into that corner, i will see what i have.

i will stick up a pic of my '72 GT with bits off and spot welds drilled off.

i will also still up a pic showing the mystery car....the gray four door that you could see a bit of in the pic i put in the lead post...and which might look a bit like a type 3...is a 1963 MG Magnette IV. yes, it is a four door MG. it has the drive train out of the MGA II (4 cyl BMC B-series 1622, four speed, dual SU carbs--HD4s in the 1.5 inch, i think) though some bits of the clutch and brake hydraulics were unobtainium on these shores. she is a positive ground car. she is one of the projects i am working on now. i have her mechanically good enough to drive around the driveway though i have now pulled the carpet and am assessing the floorboards.

the Scout is a 1963 Scout 80. 4 cylinder 4WD. another project that followed me home. she has the character of a farm tractor and maxes out at 45 mph, but will do that straight up a phone pole in 4WD. it is a work in process like all of my cars...the biggest thing it needs is floorboards, but since they aren't structural, its no big deal. beer3.gif

welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Is that a princess with a straight 6 healey looking motor?
cpavlenko
Whoops, I got ahead of myself, a 4 door MG, very cool, kinda looks like a princess from the rear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.