Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 Liter....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Made it to 5K RPM on the first pull...

Made TREMENDOUS power... Till sad.gif

I have never had torque scale readings that high on the dyno before! Temps looked good too..

During the 5K RPM power pull I saw the torque scale drop and shut her down to hear a nasty screech and thats all she wrote...

To make a long story short its all apart on the bench and the parts are still warm.... Issue found and being resolved with no major damage- Just a huge loss of time.

Its just one of the things you learn from wild and craziness....

It'll be back on the dyno Monday at latest.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 25 2005, 11:56 AM)
Made TREMENDOUS power...

user posted image

biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
That's like me claiming I am a Tremendous Lover. Without someone else to witness and back up your claim well it's all for not. grouphug.gif
Joe Bob
Tem bodacious jugs have any fins?
ArtechnikA
i'm confused.

i thought it turned 8000 rpm Wednesday...
Jake Raby
No, that was the 2316 from the 914...

I am not giving any numbers till after the locl Southeast Dyno Day.... Its the main attraction there and we need onlookers with curiosity!

All I can say is that the first time it hit peak torque I saw over 200 lb/ft of torque... And thats with default jetting and timing.... I typically can make 15% more through tuning alone.

Pics and numbers will come in time.. There are too many eyes (All my competitors) on the net for me to share all this just yet....
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 25 2005, 03:14 PM)
No, that was the 2316 from the 914...

i was just going by this thread (MasIVe 3 liter- Finished, Lets make some HUGE power!) from the 22nd where you said

She'll spin 8,000 RPM by noon tomorrow! I can't wait!

hence my confusion.
Jake Raby
Ah.... That was when I *thought* I'd be on the dyno much sooner... It would have hit 8,000 today- easily...

Mark Henry
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 25 2005, 04:08 PM)
Tem bodacious jugs have any fins?

I think that Jake's 105's still have the std. 103 register and yes they do have as many fins as the 103.

But they are some huge mo fo's cool.gif
Jake Raby
They have MORE fins than a Std 103....

Heads were cooling just fine...
Twystd1
I love this stuff...

Keep it up Jake....

Can't wait till the next installment of insanity....!!!!! ohmy.gif

Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Jake Raby
Its all apart and measured... Damage wasn't very bad at all!!!

At least it gave me a chance to look at some other*scary* issues that I was worried about- They all checked out VERY well..

Once this little glitch is taken care of I think it'll be one hell of a powerplant!

What is totally twisted is when she locked up on the dyno it didn't even phase me.......
seanery
break a ring?
Jake Raby
Nope... Failed #1 main bearing. I tried a new end play setting and it didn't work out.... I had the end play shims and thrust surface of the bearing DLC coated in hopes that I could run less total end play and be safe due to less friction.... I did it with the Hybrid 914 engine and it worked fine..... This puppy makes so much power that it needed extra end play!

This is how I learn all the crap it takes to build these engines.... Its all trial and error when it comes down to it- Now I know not to do that again.

All I can say about the power is 190+ lb/ftof torque @2500 RPM and 180 HP @ 4500 and the engine was severely OUT OF TUNE- It was the first tuning run!

Now remember that i am running carbs that are too small (48 dells) and I'm not netting all my valve lift that is possible due to the heads needing one area redesigned to run a ratio rocker.

I do believe that once the Autronic SMC with 52mm T/Bs is installed and I can lift the valves another .100 we'll have a 300HP engine on our hands.. As it stands now I project 260 ponies once I get it back on the dyno- Monday........

tommy914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 26 2005, 01:27 PM)
I do believe that once the Autronic SMC with 52mm T/Bs is installed .........

Jake,
Are you switching to Autronic now?
What happened to Kit Carlson?

Mark Henry
I know Jake had the Autronic SMC from a customer...It didn't work with the customers combo and a trade was made.

Crimson axe (from the STF) was the guy I believe.

Don't know the status on the Kit Carlson system....last I heard it was in production.
Jake Raby
Mark is correct... I traded for the Autronic.

Kit Carlson is in the middle of the processes to become a business- Thats whats taking so long.

I wanted to use the Autronic this time because I had it already....
Vinson
Hay, I posted those Silver 914 speedster Pic's from Gremany a few mounth's ago!
has any one tracked the car down?

That car does rock!

I have a friend that rally's a Acura RSR and he wants to get one of those, he is only 21!
I guess you can teach the youth of America somthing after all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.