EdwardBlume
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Car should be saved....
Mike1981
Yes

I believe I get 1st right of refusal.

Perhaps they were duped or were aware this was an excercise to determine value

Buy Back was 600.00

Looks like I will buy it back and continue looking for someone who can fix it for the money I get from the Insurance co.

2 other shops in my area gave me quotes well above the insurance estimate plus they were backlogged for over a year

I have a friend interested in buying the subie conversion

EJ22 motor
WRX turbo
Radiator
Intecooler
Wastegate
Piping
Adapterplate and tranny

Im wondering If I should part it out and buy another car, use this one as pare parts

then sell the roller

Im getting 8400 from the Ins co

2 local shops are around 10-11K probably more

Any thoughts?

Mike
Chris H.
Well definitely buy it!!!! I'd say there are $600 worth of parts on it biggrin.gif .

The question is...do you want that car or something different? It would be hard to build another Subaru car like that one for that price. If you want something else you can sell the Subaru stuff and the roller, or fix it and sell it.

There's a lot of labor involved in removing that fender. Dozens of spot welds to cut. It's not too hard, just a lot of work. If you did that and sourced the parts for the repair you could probably reduce your costs quite a bit. Maybe get it close to the payout price. Just need someone to expertly reinstall the fender and line the door up, then paint it (still a lot of $). Get some direction from the board before you start! There are some tricks to removing them.

Cairo94507
Pop that car on a trailer and send it to Scotty B., the Metal Surgeon or some of the other expert metal refinishers here. They can make it look new and you know it will be done right. $600 buy back is a gift to allow you to correct the damage and take the car to the next level. beer.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

May be a good excuse to put on steel flares.
euro911
I would obtain several additional appraisals on repairs. I agree with Cairo - let Scotty have a look at it. There are also several others on this board that have mad skillz and could probably fix you up for much less than the big-box stores.

Congrats on the low $ buy-back ... I think you did well thumb3d.gif
mepstein
The $600 is a no brainer. Sending to scotty doesn't make sense $ wise. To much to invest in transport. Get some recommendations for good local repair and paint. I don't think it was a show piece to start but some careful part sourcing and the right shop will make it a nice car again.
Cairo94507
I agree re transport unless he can hook a ride on a local trailer for a great price. I was just kind of referring him to this who 100% know these cars and have demonstrated time and again their abilities to make them like new.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 22 2015, 09:08 PM) *

I agree re transport unless he can hook a ride on a local trailer for a great price. I was just kind of referring him to this who 100% know these cars and have demonstrated time and again their abilities to make them like new.

I heard scotty is switching to hundai and Kia's
Mike1981
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2015, 09:20 PM) *

Thanks Everyone for the advice

I will be buying the car back

I have been to 3 Porsche shops and all told me the repair would be north of 10000

More than I have right now

I have a buddy who is interested in the subie powertrain and renegade kit

Thinking of selling the power-train and then the roller and starting over

What do you feel the Subie ej22 and WRX turbo with all piping waste gate intercooler sensors radiator would be worth?

Thanks
euro911
The damage shown in your pic, although it probably still makes you sick to look at, doesn't look that bad. If it was MY car, I wouldn't make any hasty decisions to part it out just yet.

Depending on how good of a paint job it had, you may (or may not) need to repaint the car in a couple of years again anyway?

I think 'specialized' Porsche body shops are going to charge you more than a lot of other body shops.

Rick - what are your thoughts?
rick 918-S
Went and looked at the build thread where you show the longs with all the rivet heads showing. Unless you take a grinder to that area you will never know if it was repaired or just had a patch riveted on the long. If the chassis is really solid there is no reason the fender can't be changed. A good used door and your back where you were. Maybe a little post damage but I can't really tell from those photos.
Chris914n6
I wouldn't make that decision yet. I don't see anything close to 8k worth of paint and labor in that. Wait for someone here to offer to do the job for a reasonable cost.

If it still runs and drives then shipping would be around $1k round trip.
jacksun
if you want to learn to do some body work.

if you have a garage to do the work in.

you could, very well do the body work, and then have it painted at a shop.

this is what I started with when I bought mine.

Click to view attachment

and this is close to being finished.. character line is not perfect,, just what
my minimal experience level has allowed me to accomplish.
lights with magnets is just to show how little glazing putty is present.

Click to view attachment

I am painting mine in the garage

built a spray booth using visquene.

it will be a driver, the fun is the learning.

lots of directions to choose from.

hope to see you around the metro area.

im in Waterford

randal
Mike1981
Wow

That is inspiring

I will not make a quick decision

I intend to take the car to 2 other shops for an estimate

Thanks to all for the advice

Yes there is post/pillar damage

Also before the accident, when I jack up the car the passenger door opens

Leaves the impression the longs are not totally solid

I still love the car

Mike
euro911
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 23 2015, 08:17 AM) *
Also before the accident, when I jack up the car the passenger door opens

Leaves the impression the longs are not totally solid

Mike
Mike, now that's something that could become a deal-breaker. You should seriously check out the condition of the longs before tackling any cosmetic body work. You may find that that's more than you bargained for. If that ends up being the case, parting it and starting over again with a more solid specimen may be your best option confused24.gif

Hopefully a local board member can assist you with an evaluation before you sink any $ into it. I've seen some really bad cars brought back to life, but having the right tools, knowledge and time to do most of the repairs yourself is the only economical way that can happen.

Keep us in the loop ...
Mike1981
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 22 2015, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 22 2015, 09:20 PM) *

Thanks Everyone for the advice

I will be buying the car back

I have been to 3 Porsche shops and all told me the repair would be north of 10000

More than I have right now

I have a buddy who is interested in the subie powertrain and renegade kit

Thinking of selling the power-train and then the roller and starting over

What do you feel the Subie ej22 and WRX turbo with all piping waste gate intercooler sensors radiator would be worth?

Thanks

She is up for sale
jacksun

not to sure about the below……………

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5142993217.html
"Title is clean due to minor damage
all it needs is a fender and door plus paint"

“Also before the accident, when I jack up the car the passenger door opens
Leaves the impression the longs are not totally solid”

EdwardBlume
Sometimes you have to make hard decisions in life. Hope it works out for the best!
Harpo
Hey Mike 1981 Sports car collision in Ferndale Michigan is performing all of he bodywork and paint on my car. They are not cheap but they are doing an awesome job. BTW I'm in Royal Oak

I have an extra door & fender I can sell you.

DAvid
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 22 2015, 09:35 PM) *

Thanks

Completely contrary to your for sale thread -

"Im getting quotes around 2500 to 3000 to repair"

confused24.gif
ThePaintedMan
Yeah... WTF.gif
Geezer914
Buy back $600, used door $100, used fender $175. Buy back and parts total $875 plus $3000 for paint and labor, that leaves you $4400! That is a lot of play money for some nice upgrades! Don't think a Porsche body shop is going to do a better job, they are just going to charge double the price. Just like parts, if it says "Porsche" it's $100. If the same part says "VW" it's $30. Get the used parts yourself and take everything to a reputable body shop that likes working on older cars. Best of luck.
welder.gif smash.gif
mepstein
even more confusing, at least to me, you were able to buy back car because, I assume, insurance co. totaled it. But then your saying car still has clean title because repair doesn't exceed X% of value.
jacksun
"Salvage Titles

A salvage title is issued for a vehicle that has become a "distressed vehicle". A vehicle becomes "distressed" when one or more major component parts (such as bumpers, fenders, transmission, engine, hood, doors, frame, tailgate, body, etc.) have been wrecked, destroyed, damaged, stolen, or are missing to the extent the total estimated damage is from 75% to less than 91% of its pre-damaged cash value. The vehicle owner's insurance company will determine the amount of damage to the vehicle. The regular title is replaced with a salvage title.

Insurance Companies

An insurance company acquiring ownership of a late-model distressed vehicle through payment of damages must apply for an original salvage title using an Application for Original Michigan Salvage Title (TR-12) form.

•If the insurance company takes ownership of the vehicle, the insurance company applies for the salvage title in its name.

•The insurance company may allow the owner to keep the salvage vehicle if the owner wants it. In this case the title is not transferred to the insurance company. Instead, the insurance company applies for the salvage title in the vehicle owner's name. The insurance company completes the application but the vehicle owner must sign the TR-12. The owner's "regular" title should be submitted with the application for a salvage title."

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1...76323--,00.html

what I do not understand is the IMO contradiction in the below....

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/5142993217.html
"Title is clean due to minor damage
all it needs is a fender and door plus paint"

“Also before the accident, when I jack up the car the passenger door opens
Leaves the impression the longs are not totally solid”

as to salvage?? what is the cutoff with the insurance co.

what % of the insured value in repairs before they total?

Mike1981
Hello Everyone

Sorry I have not been available lately

Yes it looks as if some of my earlier statements were incorrect

Let me start with this:

I called McMark and asked him about the door opening when I jack the car up

He said it was impossible for the door to open due to body flex he feels it is a faulty latch

I agreed because the door sometimes opens after you close it.

Probably my mistake

The longs do have the riveted covers. I do not believe they are to hide anything just adding stiffness.

Jacksun is correct I did not know this but even if your car is totaled by the insurance company, if the repair estimate is lower than 91% the car's value. The car will retain its original title.

Hagerty Stated to me they would use 75% of insured vale to determine if totaled.

It may be different depending on which state your in.

In my mind I thought when an insurance company totals your car the title automatically becomes salvaged

Again my mistake

Lastly, the 3 PORSCHE Shops in my area all quoted me over 10K to repair

I am getting quotes from non Porsche shops one independent one general collision and they are throwing around the 3-3500 numbers nothing on paper yet.

So the good news is I have a car with clean title

I will not be taking it to a Porsche or other high end shop.

I'm happy for the clean title, my thoughts were why would I pour another 7500 into a salvaged title vehicle?

This prompted me to try to sell it and begin over with another car.

So I hope that I have cleared up the confusion I have caused

Sorry for that

Thanks
Mike
Mike1981
QUOTE(jacksun @ Jul 23 2015, 08:18 AM) *

if you want to learn to do some body work.

if you have a garage to do the work in.

you could, very well do the body work, and then have it painted at a shop.

this is what I started with when I bought mine.

Click to view attachment

and this is close to being finished.. character line is not perfect,, just what
my minimal experience level has allowed me to accomplish.
lights with magnets is just to show how little glazing putty is present.

Click to view attachment

I am painting mine in the garage

built a spray booth using visquene.

it will be a driver, the fun is the learning.

lots of directions to choose from.

hope to see you around the metro area.

im in Waterford

randal

Hello Jacksun

Waterford is next door to me

Im in Highland

Bodywork looks great

I do not have your skills though

I updated my post and tried to clear a few things up

Thanks

MIke
mepstein
I'm not buying longs riveted for stiffness.
Mike1981
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Aug 8 2015, 09:48 AM) *

Buy back $600, used door $100, used fender $175. Buy back and parts total $875 plus $3000 for paint and labor, that leaves you $4400! That is a lot of play money for some nice upgrades! Don't think a Porsche body shop is going to do a better job, they are just going to charge double the price. Just like parts, if it says "Porsche" it's $100. If the same part says "VW" it's $30. Get the used parts yourself and take everything to a reputable body shop that likes working on older cars. Best of luck.
welder.gif smash.gif

I hope your right geezer

Thanks for the words of encouragement
mgp4591
I noticed you have it for sale in the classifieds but I agree with Geezer- if you can get it back for a decent price and end up fat on the cash side, do it! It looks like you've got some great upgrades on a good performing car and unless you've got another one, it's gonna be tough to replace it for that amount. I even thought about buying it but I think you should fight for it, keep driving and have fun! driving.gif
Mike1981
Thanks for the advice

Yes after going through the list of upgrades
It would be hard to replace

140 HP at the wheels makes it a lot of fun.

You're right if I end up positive on the cash side in addition to having a clean title

Might as well keep her.

Thanks

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.