Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side swiped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike1981
Well

Got sideswiped yesterday returning from a cruise

Anyone know of a good body shop in the metro Detroit area?

peteyd
Wait for Mcmark from original customs to move his shop to Michigan. I dont know when its happening, but he knows 914.

If you cant wait that long, here are some shops that we have sold to in the past

ACR Performance Unlimited
5693 Airline Hwy.
Fruitport, MI 49415
Phone: 231.865.7060
Email: acrperformance@yahoo.com

Euro Autowerks
9240 Belding Rd.
Rockford, MI 49431
Phone: 616.874.7932
Email: eurowerks@sbcglobal.net

Garfield Auto
725 South Garfield Ave.
Traverse City, MI 49686
Phone: 231.883.7506

Munks Motors
3080 West Huron
Waterford, MI 48328
Phone: 248.681.8081
Email: service@munks.com
Web: http://www.munks.com/
EdwardBlume
headbang.gif Sorry for your misfortune! Good luck with the repair!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(peteyd @ Jul 7 2015, 06:08 AM) *

Wait for Mcmark from original customs to move his shop to Michigan. I dont know when its happening, but he knows 914.

If you cant wait that long, here are some shops that we have sold to in the past

ACR Performance Unlimited
5693 Airline Hwy.
Fruitport, MI 49415
Phone: 231.865.7060
Email: acrperformance@yahoo.com

Euro Autowerks
9240 Belding Rd.
Rockford, MI 49431
Phone: 616.874.7932
Email: eurowerks@sbcglobal.net

Garfield Auto
725 South Garfield Ave.
Traverse City, MI 49686
Phone: 231.883.7506

Munks Motors
3080 West Huron
Waterford, MI 48328
Phone: 248.681.8081
Email: service@munks.com
Web: http://www.munks.com/

While the OC does do rust repair, it is technically not a body shop. Wait a bit though, if McMark can coax Rick Ollah to Michigan... biggrin.gif
whitetwinturbo
Here's to the other guy ar15.gif
JawjaPorsche
That just sux big time. Hope they can make look like new.
Cairo94507
Sorry to see that - hopefully the insurance company does right by you and your cars moves up in value once repairs are completed.
Luke M
Give Munks in Waterford a try. I was there last fall checking out their shop and they work on 914's. They had a parts car out back too. I'm sure they can use the fender off of if need be.
Worth a shot.
wndsnd
That really sucks. He got you good. Sorry.
Ian Stott
Sorry about your car. I hope it gets repaired to your satisfaction. At least it didn't get written off and no serious injuries. Nice car by the way, I like the colour.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Mike1981
Thanks for the advice and kind words

Appraiser coming out tomorrow

I will keep you posted

Mike1981
Appraiser came by today

He feels it is most likely totaled

he said he would know for sure in 2-3 days

Anyone have any advice?

Has anyone bought a salvage title car back from the insurance company and fixed it themselves?

thanks

MIke

Cj Honeycutt
Very important question: Were you in the car when it was side swapped and if so, was the other driver identified ?
Mike1981
Yes

I was in the car

We called the police

Other driver admitted he was at fault

Other driver got a ticket

Mike
Chris H.
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 9 2015, 07:39 PM) *

Appraiser came by today

He feels it is most likely totaled

he said he would know for sure in 2-3 days

Anyone have any advice?

Has anyone bought a salvage title car back from the insurance company and fixed it themselves?

thanks

MIke

What is the insurance valuation? Market value or an agreed-upon value? Unless the tub is bent it shouldn't be totaled that easily. The door gap doesn't even look too bad at the top.

Rick 918-S...are you out there? Paging Rick....
Cj Honeycutt
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 9 2015, 06:48 PM) *

Yes

I was in the car

We called the police

Other driver admitted he was at fault

Other driver got a ticket

Mike

Then you can get your car fixed ! DO NOT sign the papers (usually the last ones in the stack from that person's Insurance company) that release Medical Liability. Go to that person's Insurance office and tell them you want your car fix and that you could then be able to sign the release of medical liability, but you need your Doctor to check things out.

They will fold EVERY TIME as fixing your car is WAY cheaper than even just a few visits to your Doctor. It is hardball, but it is the way they play the game. If you are unsure, contact a Lawyer.
r_towle
Put together 5-10 comparative cars that were sold.
Get the market value guide from Excellence magazine.

Be ready to argue, be prepared with proof of what your car is worth.
They will try to total it, don't let them if you don't want to.

Rich
EdwardBlume
IMHO its not totaled. Get it fixed.
jacksun
Michigan is a "no fault" state.....

Mike1981
Thanks for the advice

However Haggerty valued my car at 9000.00

I paid lees for it so I thought this was fine at the time.

I agreed to this value in my insurance contract

Michigan is no fault hence we have very high insurance rates.

Its not so much the parts but the labor and paint that pushes the repair cost to over 75% of the agreed value

I could buy the car back and repair it with the settlement money

Has anyone done this before?
mepstein
if its just the door and the front fender, i would buy it back, get a new door, get the fender repaired and get it painted. If the long is not just dented but bent or bowed, I would have a pro asses the damage.

To my eye (not a pro) It looks very repairable.
bandjoey
Need someone 914 familiar to do an estimate. Can't imagine that one is totaled. Good luck and increase your coverage.
vw505
Now is agood time for fender flairs.
steuspeed
I just raised my insurance to $12,000 from $5,500 which is what I paid for the car. Hagerty had no issues with my value. Picked up full coverage too for less than I was paying at Progressive.
rick 918-S
I'll check in and comment later. I'm pecking around on my phone.
Mike1981
Well

The repair estimate has come in

$ 7650.00 (probably Higher once they begin to open her up.)

Estimate is using 65.00 per hour for labor...I think that is low for a Porsche shop

Does anyone have any perspective on this?

$ 9000 Haggerty Value

Looks like she may be totaled.

Everyone was correct that I cannot replace the car for 9000.00

I have sent the insurance company all of the upgrades

I hope we can work something out

Any advice guys/gals?

Mike
EdwardBlume
Fight it. People have talked about getting more out of insurance companies to strike a more fair deal, but not without a fight. Good luck!
Sedonut
Ask them what the salvage value is and you might want to buy it back for that. The downside is then you have a car with a salvage title , which will hurt resale immensely. In this case the salvage value might be $2350.

You can buy a nice tub and swap parts, but with paint jobs at $5000 it might not be worth it.

If it were me, and the salvage value is low enough, I would buy it back. Used doors are are only about $150. Used fenders about the same. Get it spot painted and enjoy your then cheap 914. That assumes the longs and suspension are not damaged. They look fine from the pictures and 1500 miles away.
Big Len
I'm not sure I follow....Did you set the declared value at $9000 or did they?
Chris H.
Definitely could be fixed for less if you were resourceful. On the insurance side the issue you might have is the agreed upon value was determined up front. That's what your premium is based on. Not sure they will pay above that but hopefully the buyback value is low.
Mike1981
9000 was the agreed upon value when i bought the car

I should have sensed this was too low to replace the car and my rate was based on this number

I too hope the buyback is low

If it is 2300 that would not leave enough to fix the car properly
euro911
If the rest of the car is in good condition and the suspension isn't bent after this mishap, why not buy it back and repair it? How much $ are they offering you?

Unless there's something I'm missing, $9k payoff (minus the small buy back) should be plenty to fix it confused24.gif

Personally, I think nice paint jobs on a fun car are over-rated anyway - just look at my car's paint job laugh.gif

Addendum:

Looking at the Copart site, it appears that your car is going up for auction on July 20th - did you decide not to buy it back?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 19 2015, 03:40 AM) *

If the rest of the car is in good condition and the suspension isn't bent after this mishap, why not buy it back and repair it? How much $ are they offering you?

Unless there's something I'm missing, $9k payoff (minus the small buy back) should be plenty to fix it confused24.gif

Personally, I think nice paint jobs on a fun car are over-rated anyway - just look at my car's paint job laugh.gif

Addendum:

Looking at the Copart site, it appears that your car is going up for auction on July 20th - did you decide not to buy it back?

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Chris914n6
Too late now I suppose, but I kept mine after a total write off. Technically I didn't buy it back, I told them I wanted to keep it and took their payout. The parts were worth more than the difference. Then I bought a fixer upper and swapped over the good stuff.

It was a hard front t-bone. I've been using the front half to mock up the a/c unit. The back half will become a trailer unless the good car gets rear ended.
JRust
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 14 2015, 01:07 PM) *

9000 was the agreed upon value when i bought the car

I should have sensed this was too low to replace the car and my rate was based on this number

I too hope the buyback is low

If it is 2300 that would not leave enough to fix the car properly

IF the other guy is at fault. Your agreed upon value with Hagerty should not matter. You are dealing with their insurance company correct. Hagerty works for you & should go after what it is worth. Not what you agreed upon with them. So tell them to get it fixed period. Anything less is unacceptable. Value of your car is higher than 9k. Get the few estimate's you need from other cars to compare. Do not let yourself get stuck with your Hagerty agreed upon value. I don't see why you would be dealing with Hagerty unless the guy who hit you uses Hagerty too. In either case your agreed upon value with your policy. Should not be affected by the claim with the other guys policy. Even if it was with Hagerty. They are separate & should be treated that way

Don't sign anything!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike1981 @ Jul 10 2015, 02:46 AM) *

Thanks for the advice

However Haggerty valued my car at 9000.00

I paid lees for it so I thought this was fine at the time.

I agreed to this value in my insurance contract

Michigan is no fault hence we have very high insurance rates.

Its not so much the parts but the labor and paint that pushes the repair cost to over 75% of the agreed value

I could buy the car back and repair it with the settlement money

Has anyone done this before?

Yes. The salvage value will be very low. This value gets deducted from your agreed value. You can then part it out, or fix it. It will likely have a salvage title depending on your State.
Chris H.
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 19 2015, 02:51 PM) *

IF the other guy is at fault. Your agreed upon value with Hagerty should not matter. You are dealing with their insurance company correct. Hagerty works for you & should go after what it is worth. Not what you agreed upon with them. So tell them to get it fixed period. Anything less is unacceptable. Value of your car is higher than 9k. Get the few estimate's you need from other cars to compare. Do not let yourself get stuck with your Hagerty agreed upon value. I don't see why you would be dealing with Hagerty unless the guy who hit you uses Hagerty too. In either case your agreed upon value with your policy. Should not be affected by the claim with the other guys policy. Even if it was with Hagerty. They are separate & should be treated that way

Don't sign anything!

GOOD POINT!!!!
Mike1981
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 19 2015, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 19 2015, 02:51 PM) *

Don't sign anything!

GOOD POINT!!!!

Would this apply to Michigan's no fault policy?
euro911
confused24.gif

I think that's a question best left to your insurance agent
mepstein
I am confused, Unless you don't know who hit you, why isn't the driver of the car who hit you and their insurance company paying to fix your car?
euro911
"No-fault insurance is a type of car insurance in which an insurance provider covers damages incurred to its customer in an accident, regardless of who's at fault. Essentially, this eliminates the need for a driver to go after another party's insurance company in order to be reimbursed for damages that the other person caused. No-fault car insurance is currently in place in 12 states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico."
jacksun
"Collision and Comprehensive Insurance
Your no-fault insurance DOES NOT pay for repairs to your car if it is damaged in an accident. If your car is properly parked and hit by another car, the other driver’s no-fault coverage will pay for the damage to your car. Except for this one situation, the only kinds of auto insurance that will pay for repairs to your car are collision and comprehensive coverage"

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis...202_25083_7.pdf
Mike1981
Hello All

I spoke with my Insurance agent after all of the good input.

He confirmed my suspicions that Michigan being a no-fault state is a bit different

No fault means my company Haggerty picks up the tab when there is an accident not the other drivers company.

As such, Haggerty's own online pricing tool rates the car to be at least worth 9700.00

The reason my car is now on an auction site is to determine its worth

Once the auction ends I will get the buyback

Hope its low, these cars are popular and any buyback will be deducted from the appraised value if i decide to buy it back.

I will keep everyone posted

Thanks
ConeDodger
You'll probably get the buyback you want because they don't want to deal with it...
euro911
QUOTE(jacksun @ Jul 20 2015, 02:55 AM) *
"Collision and Comprehensive Insurance
Your no-fault insurance DOES NOT pay for repairs to your car if it is damaged in an accident. If your car is properly parked and hit by another car, the other driver’s no-fault coverage will pay for the damage to your car. Except for this one situation, the only kinds of auto insurance that will pay for repairs to your car are collision and comprehensive coverage"

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis_ofis...202_25083_7.pdf
That's why I said "I think that's a question best left to your insurance agent." I was under the impression that he had collision and comprehensive coverage, being that the policy was for $9k through Hagerty.

I'm not understanding their auction process. If they receive high bids, they deduct that amount from the settlement?

What happens to the people that bid on the car? Are their bids accepted, but they don't actually get to buy it? Do YOU have to bid as well?

I've never been to an auction where the highest bidder didn't get to buy the car screwy.gif
Chris H.
agree.gif It's crazy, right? I don't get it either.
Cj Honeycutt
My Dad and I did some searching here in Southern California, just for reference, as it looks from the pictures like the door spacing to the front fender and rear fender are not affected by the accident. We found a "perfect" no rust door still hanging in the opening (stripped of all internals) for $100.00 and another complete for $125.00. Found two fenders also, one at $75.00 and another at $175.00.

Body guy my Dad knows says both original door and fender on your car would not be a challenge for any good "panel beater" to get right while still on the car.

So, based on the pictures..... and the price of good replacement parts, you could be up an driving for a small investment. You will most likely spend more on paint matching than parts ! You can hang the door ourself, transfer your parts to new door and then is is just the front fender.

Just some FYI for comparison. Hope it helps. CJ
Mike1981
QUOTE(Cj Honeycutt @ Jul 21 2015, 05:01 PM) *

My Dad and I did some searching here in Southern California, just for reference, as it looks from the pictures like the door spacing to the front fender and rear fender are not affected by the accident. We found a "perfect" no rust door still hanging in the opening (stripped of all internals) for $100.00 and another complete for $125.00. Found two fenders also, one at $75.00 and another at $175.00.

Body guy my Dad knows says both original door and fender on your car would not be a challenge for any good "panel beater" to get right while still on the car.

So, based on the pictures..... and the price of good replacement parts, you could be up an driving for a small investment. You will most likely spend more on paint matching than parts ! You can hang the door ourself, transfer your parts to new door and then is is just the front fender.

Just some FYI for comparison. Hope it helps. CJ

Thanks CJ

Yes this does help

And Yes the parts are not the issue

But the amount of hours needed to straighten and re-attach plus paint is actually more than the original estimate

I could handle hanging the door myself but drilling out the spot welds then re-welding the new one plus paint pushes the cost higher

Thanks for your thought

Mike
Mike1981
Yes

Hagerty listed my car on the auction to determine the salvage value

This was based on the highest bidder

I will now have the option of buying the car back and trying to get it fixed myself

My concern is that I have taken the car to 2 different shops and they quoted more than the settlement price to fix it properly

That's life

Mike
euro911
Mike, do you know what happens to the people who placed bids on the car? Were they duped? ... or will the high bidder get to buy it after you exercise a first right of refusal?

Can you share what they determined the salvage value is?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.