Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: its ALIVE< I SAID ITS FN ALIVE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
its alivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif beerchug.gif pray.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif burnout.gif

it started, its loud with no exhaust but it started the only trouble code is the gas tank sender, its needs a bigger resistor
redshift
clap.gif huh.gif laugh.gif smilie_pokal.gif

ROCK! Dood, I am so happy for you! Damn!

M!
Allan
Hey Miles, do you really mean it or are you still in a drug induced euphoric state? Way to go Scott. smilie_pokal.gif
BIGKAT_83
Way to GO!!!!!

aktion035.gif

What did you do for a VSS
scotty914
this is some much stress off of my back, i did not know if there was something fried in the brain ( ecu ), or one of 200 something connections, or just a fucked up wiring.

now i KNOW the car is going to be okay, its just things that we all do every week around here like bolting the exhaust on, clutch cable, cy joints ect ect
scotty914
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 25 2005, 02:13 PM)

nothing yet that is an easy 10 dollar or less fix

but its ALIVE, hiede has a heart beat and brain power, shes off of life support doing very well
aircooledboy
Big Honking Congrats my man!!!! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
scotty914
the PORSHARU is alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! monkeydance.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 25 2005, 02:13 PM)

nothing yet that is an easy 10 dollar or less fix

but its ALIVE, hiede has a heart beat and brain power, shes off of life support doing very well

Give me a clue I need one myself and how many ppr do you use with your sabaru

Bob
scotty914
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 25 2005, 02:22 PM)

Give me a clue I need one myself and how many ppr do you use with your sabaru

Bob

its supposed to have 4 but i am only doing 3 so the speed governer does not kick in, i will send you something later
seanery
sweet dude!
Congrats!!
scotty914
did i mention the 98 subaru engine is in a 75 porsche 914 and running wub.gif
spare time toys
I like when that happens. It gives me a boost to get mine done. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
pete-stevers
got any pics thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
redshift
Oh, I am sick as a dog, and I am still happy!

icon8.gif
mattillac
mad.gif i hate you. laugh.gif i'm just kidding! i'm soooo jealous right now! '98 ej25 is dohc right? by the way...

WAY TO GOOOOOOO! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

TIME TO PARTY! party.gif rock_band.gif wolfgang.gif mgw.gif

now lets see some pics! wink.gif
MecGen
CONGRATS
I've been folowing your stuff in different threds since the start. You Rock !
I am an aircooled purist, but I find myself taking your stuff to a "saved" folder. Its a real option....can't wait till you drive it.
Cheers
Joe
beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Good for you Scott. That's a relief I'm sure. Hell, I feel relieved and I didn't do anything but read all the posts!
mattillac
and have a couple of these... beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif drunk.gif icon8.gif barf.gif

you earned it. clap.gif
scotty914
okay before anybody asks and for the free bump : hehe, here is a basic break down of my costs not including the car but with some stuff left to do

engine 1500 including delivery
sold stock for 450 ( so minus )
adapter kit from kep 450
various steel costs 50 bucks
wiring stuff about 10 bucks ( solder tape resistors etc )
gas welder including gas 100
very good used clutch and pressure plate 40 bucks
new suby radiator 180
new radiator fan 12 inch 1400 cfm 42 bucks
new steel fuel line 5 bucks
various hoses 30 bucks
new battery 40 bucks ( not optima yet )

stuff left to buy/do

flexible scoop for radiator intake will be about 40 buck or less
parts for speed sensor 10 or less
exhaust maybe 100

total to date $ 1997
stuff that will cost more money $ 150

total cost priceless
redshift
But how much is the cost in dog dollars?

M
VegasRacer
Great news Scott. I can't wait to see and hear it at the WCC.
Hydra
any news about that cooling?

icon_bump.gif
Chris H.
Although I am not really an expert on engineering side of this deal, I think it's gonna work. I'm a little worried about a stop-and-go traffic situation, but Scott will probably figure that out too. Anyone who can go through the Subaru wiring harness and cut out all the stuff you don't need and then actually get the thing started afterwards is a superhero in my book.
scotty914
todays update, i installed the radiator and hooked up the top cooling hose, the bottom hose is being a PIA. so i might modify the radiator to make it easier in the future. i also hooked up the heater bypass, as well as replaced a hose under neith the motor that had be cut when the motor got pulled from the suby. i tried to bolt up the exaust manifold but it hits the clutch pulley, i was hoping it would clear and i could use the stock manifold, but i get to modify the stock one, oh what fun.

i had it idleing for about a min tonight and 2 more codes poped up ( yes i ran it with no cooling for 1 min block did not even get warm ) they were codes for evap stuff that i can fix with resistors. and the last thing i found is i must have a wire wrong when i turned the key off it kept running, so i think i have the wire from the on key postion tied to the battery line, that would explain why the check engine light is on all the time.
ClayPerrine
Scott,

THis is TOO COOL!!! It sounds like an amazing car. Can you put the cobb tuning package on this motor? That would be a trick setup!!!

Series9
There is NOTHING like the first time an engine lights off.

Major congrats. smilie_pokal.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.
scotty914
yes it would take the cobb package but i have read a few things about the 96 to 99 dohc block. things like a weak point that shows up at about 210 hp, so i will stick with it as it is mad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 26 2005, 10:04 PM)
yes it would take the cobb package but i have read a few things about the 96 to 99 dohc block. things like a weak point that shows up at about 210 hp, so i will stick with it as it is mad.gif

I saw where some of the WRX motors are getting 300 HP with the cobb package. Now that would be a real trip in a 914!!!!!!!

BTW..... thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
fiid
nice work dude. shit. better get my ass in gear
redshift
how much power will this thing mill?

idea.gif

What is the rev range like again?

M
scotty914
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 26 2005, 09:42 PM)
how much power will this thing mill?

idea.gif

What is the rev range like again?

M

stock is 165 hp and 160 fp, after egr and removing one cat, i would guess about 175 hp. revs are to 7k, rev limiter at 7200, the stock tach had the red at 6500
redshift
idea.gif

Being a similar design, I guess it likes being held at 3/4 power forever... hmm..

I never seem to be able to google out what I am looking for about these motors. Where are the Xtreme!!! Tuner thingys for them?

I know there are like 320hp+ /6 out there too..

I just really like this conversion... it's smart.

M
rick 918-S
WTG! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
Hydra
icon_bump.gif
once again great job scott smilie_pokal.gif
914helo
Way to go Scott smilie_pokal.gif This is great motivation to finish up the bodywork on my car so I can get my SVX motor installed in mine. Congrats!
scotty914
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 26 2005, 10:31 PM)
I never seem to be able to google out what I am looking for about these motors. Where are the Xtreme!!! Tuner thingys for them?

I just really like this conversion... it's smart.

M

well miles for the best tuning info go to cobb tuning , they have a cam that gives 19 hp at the fly wheel on a stock head and ecu. then if you want more power they have heads good for 30 hp, pricey but nice up grade, between the cam and the head getting to 215 on an other wise stock motor would be wild.

and yes i think it is a smart conversion more hp, more reliable, modern and easy to find fi parts, and basicly the same design. i personally see it as what porsche would have done if the had keep the design and water cooled it for the modern world.

now for the update cooling is great, i put the hoses in for the radiator, filled her up, and fired her up. after about 10 mins the thermostat opened, then kept her running for another 10 mins on idle. the top hose got warm so water was flowing, the passenger side of the radiator got warm ( supply to rad. ) the drivers side ( return to engine ) never even got warm it stayed at about ambinat temp ( about 50 degrees ) the whole time, for 10 mins of idleing while sucking some exhaust gases due to no exhaust pipe. all this was done with the fan hot wired to run all the time ( 1400 cfm fan ). so it appears cooling wont be a problem boldblue.gif
MecGen
Cool ST
You have to make sure you have a guage on that puppy.
T-stat opens at 90deg cel or 180 f , so if your thermosat is working/opened but your guage says 50 ?
Maybe I'm confused, this is such a cool project, don't want anything to go wrong
Let us know
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
Chris H.
How about some pics of what the engine bay looks like now with the radiator installed Scott? cool_shades.gif
neo914-6
Sweeet! clap.gif
scotty914
okay pics it is, sorry the car needs a clean up

drivers side view
scotty914
pass side view
scotty914
close up
dmenche914
Judging from your costs of about 2 grand for the conversion, and I take a guess at the car costing say 4 grand, you have a 6 grand Boxster, what a good deal! You might even be eating them new fangled Boxsters for lunch if they want to race you. You should have at least as much power, and maybe 30% less wieght. That equals one faster car, and one that can handle quicker, all for 6 grand.

Great job. I hope you can photographically document your car on this posting some more, any underside shots? (No I not a pervert!)

I appears you have the radiator in the location that once was for the fan on the type IV engine, is that correct?
scotty914
yes your correct, the radiator is in front of the motor. here is my radiator thread, it shows pics of the radiator support frame and shrouding.

as for boxters they have 80 more hp than i do, but i have them with weight. i will have between 170 to 180 hp when all said and done.

on last thing, my car is a 2300 dollar ebay car, that needed a paint job, at the time it was almost rust free, on the surface, i have a few spots i need to fix.
Gint
'grats Scott!
TonyAKAVW
Any idea how hard this conversion would be if it had to be smog legal? It seems like it just needs the cats and everything else is already there?

-Tony
scotty914
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 8 2005, 12:18 PM)
Any idea how hard this conversion would be if it had to be smog legal? It seems like it just needs the cats and everything else is already there?

-Tony

not too hard they do em with the vanagons. as i found out the stock exhaust will not work, the cats become another issue. i did figure out how to do it but the exhaust would cost a couple of hundred alone.

but as you said everything else is there and not too bad to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.