Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a 3.2 or 3.0 Engine...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All

looking for some advice from those members who have installed either a 3.2 Carrera or 3.0 SC engine.

Trying to gather information for my conversion but the consensus of opinion is one of the following:

3.2 Carrera
standard engine with 40 IDA3 Webers - will they bolt on and how much adaption work to the manifold is required? Heard the port sizes are vastly different ?
915 magnesium case gearbox with a aftermarket gearbox mount - is Patrick MS the only one who does this?
SC flywheel required to suit 915 box?

3.0 SC engine
standard engine with 40 IDA3 Webers - should bolt straight on with no port adjustments?
915 mag case as above or early 911/01 gearbox with standard 914/6 rear mount. intermediate late required for 911 gearbox ?

I definitely want to go the route of 40 IDA Webers but don't want to track the car, so not looking for top end speed just low to mid-range. What chokes have people put in for this application and how does it drive ?

Sorry, lots of questions !

thanks

Chris
Steve
PMO has the manifolds, carbs, etc.
http://www.pmocarb.com/index.htm
PMS is the only one that I know of that sells the mount which is designed to be used with a cable shifter.
http://www.cableshift.com/915/915%20page.html
I am running an 1984 Stock Euro DME 3.2, with stock flywheel, clutch and 1986 915 transmission. I went with Martin Botts kit, which turns the 915 trans into a 916 trans.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=102988
Luke M
The 40ida's are good for the 3.0 but on the 3.2 you may want the 46's.
Both engines would need the proper size/port manifolds to mate to the heads.
Both would take a flywheel kit from PMS or KEP to run the 901/914 gear box.
If you want to run a 915 then you would need the flywheel & clutch kit from a 3.0.
Then convert the 915 to a side shifter with a kit from Wevo or Martin Bott.

As for the chokes/jets to use on the 3.0 I need to locate my notes.
You will need to have the distributor recurved for the carbs.
matthepcat
Why are you running carbs? Just less wiring and fuel line upgrades?
eitnurg
I have run a Euro 3.2 mated to a 901 transmission for 20 years now, using 46IDAs. A lot of the details are lost in the mists of time but there have been 2 pains in the arse:

1) the carburettors. I've lost count of the blocked jets/tuning/adjustment issues I've had. Finally now worn throttle shaft on one side, fixing it is expensive or may not even be possible.

2) ignition timing. The standard 3.2 distributor has no advance mechanism and had to be replaced by an older one that did, MSD boxes proving unreliable. All the older ones are about 35deg all in, the euro 3.2 runs a high CR and won't tolerate this, it wants 25deg max. Eventually an older distributor was recurved to suit but it's a dying art and ever more difficult to achieve. (there's also a problem with the direction of rotation? Can't remember now)

The answer to both is Motronic. How I wish etc.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Jul 9 2015, 01:39 AM) *

I have run a Euro 3.2 mated to a 901 transmission for 20 years now, using 46IDAs. A lot of the details are lost in the mists of time but there have been 2 pains in the arse:

1) the carburettors. I've lost count of the blocked jets/tuning/adjustment issues I've had. Finally now worn throttle shaft on one side, fixing it is expensive or may not even be possible.

2) ignition timing. The standard 3.2 distributor has no advance mechanism and had to be replaced by an older one that did, MSD boxes proving unreliable. All the older ones are about 35deg all in, the euro 3.2 runs a high CR and won't tolerate this, it wants 25deg max. Eventually an older distributor was recurved to suit but it's a dying art and ever more difficult to achieve. (there's also a problem with the direction of rotation? Can't remember now)

1) I bet it can be repaired, ask around on the pelican board. You can buy just about all the parts and there are guys who rebuild them. 46's are worth repairing.

2) 3.0 dizzy's rotate the wrong way, when I rebuilt my 3.0 engine I swapped the distributor gear with one off a 2.7.

If you wanted to go EFI selling the 46's would go a long way to buying your new system.
Mark Henry
To me adding carbs to a /6 is a lot like on a T4. If you are not changing the cams I'd stick with the factory FI.

If you are you are doing a hotter cam change then carbs or aftermarket FI is needed.
SLITS
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Jul 8 2015, 10:39 PM) *

2) ignition timing. The standard 3.2 distributor has no advance mechanism and had to be replaced by an older one that did, MSD boxes proving unreliable. All the older ones are about 35deg all in, the euro 3.2 runs a high CR and won't tolerate this, it wants 25deg max. Eventually an older distributor was recurved to suit but it's a dying art and ever more difficult to achieve. (there's also a problem with the direction of rotation? Can't remember now) The 3.0 distributors are a mag trigger and reverse rotation (counterclockwise). I had an 007 "S" distributor that the PO changed the distributor drive gear to run in reverse of the 2.7L and earlier. Problem is that I am not sure the points work the same in reverse and the centrifugal advance weights in the dizzy aren't going to work.

The 001 911T dizzy has a max advance of 28 degress up to 6K rpm as I remember.

We installed an Electromotive HPV-1 and didn't look back.

Biggles
Thanks all for the comments. Interesting to read experiences.

The reason for carbs is simply that I like the way they make the car drive. Yes can be more fussy when cold but properly set up, I don't see an issue. It's what I am used to in other cars.

The problem is matching everything up correctly. Has anyone put 40s on a 3.2 or is it a big no no? With standard cams and pistons will webers work (with obvious set up) on either a 3.0or 3.2?

Interesting about mechanical advance problem but sure that can be solved
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 9 2015, 09:21 AM) *

We installed an Electromotive HPV-1 and didn't look back.

agree.gif

For a 3.0 the Electromotive or Megajolt Jr. is the easiest solution.
Another solution is a megasquirt to run ignition only, then it give you the option to go FI in the future.

This may also be the best solution if you didn't have any FI parts on a 3.2 but had the carbs.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jul 9 2015, 09:34 AM) *

The problem is matching everything up correctly. Has anyone put 40s on a 3.2 or is it a big no no? With standard cams and pistons will webers work (with obvious set up) on either a 3.0or 3.2?

40's will be fine on a stock 3.0 or 3.2 still only 500-533/cc per cylinder.

But for a stock 3.2 you can't beat the factory FI
naro914
^^ Agree. Huey has a stock 3.2 with factory Motronic. It's awesome. Just reach in, turn the key and instant running, even after sitting for months. It just runs, period. And for a street car, that's what you want, for it to run reliably. You can easily change the power curves and stuff with re-chipping it.

I wouldn't trade our factory FI for any other option.

As for trans, we run a stock 901 in Huey. PMS has a nice adapter kit for clutch/pp/flywheel.
For Papa's 3.2 engine, we installed a 915 with Velios conversion. For the very few chances I've had to run it, it ran perfect. Again, PMS makes adapter kits for clutch/pp/fw, but the big expense will be converting the 915 to side shift.

Biggles
This link seems to answer a few questions re: the webers on a 3.2 engine

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-40s-3-2-a.html

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.