Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grelber
OK, I'm search challenged........ but what is the best headlight replacement that is plug-n-play, without new wiring or relays?
falcor75
Nighthawk LED's from Amazon at about 280$ per side.

Hella H4's with whatever bulb you prefer comes in second place.
Larmo63
Hella H4s are good with the biggest wattage bulb you can get away with.
mepstein
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jul 9 2015, 01:16 PM) *

Nighthawk LED's from Amazon at about 280$ per side.

Hella H4's with whatever bulb you prefer comes in second place.

The led's can be found on Amazon for 180/each. Not always but seem to be available every couple weeks. I highly recommend them.
johnhora
Ron...if you need/want a pair of Hella H4s... I have this set of excellent condition like new for $25 each unit plus shipping.
Std H4 12V 60/55W Halogen Bulbs
Thanks....John

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=507
657]Click to view attachment
SKL1
Just put the GE LED's on both cars- was going to do the H4's with relays but the wiring is a PITA and the LED's, while not cheap, sure are bright!!
Definitely recommend the LED's- just hope they last a long time!!
rgalla9146
H4s need relays ? with what bulbs ?
rhodyguy
does anyone know if the H2 bulbs work in the H4 lens bodies?
johnhora
You really don't need relays with H4s unless you go crazy with bulbs above the stock 60/55w....something like 100/80w etc....the 8 amp fuse supports about 96w
Make sure all power and ground connectors are clean and shiny
the original sealed bulbs were about 40w to 45w
Geezer914
Do you need a relay if using H4 100w/55w bulbs? If so, what type of relay are we talking about? Thanks.
john77
I recently swapped in a pair of the GE NightHawks too. They're expensive, but damn, they are bright.

Having done a little more research, after buying them, [always the best time to do research headbang.gif ] I'm pretty sure Trucklites are the same light. They're somewhat cheaper than the NightHawks and don't have the silver stripe across the centre of the lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270C-He...p/dp/B007K8AA7I
rjames
So the LEDs are a direct plug and play?
Grelber
Anybody know about these H4's? They say they are plug n play???

http://www.topgearautosport.com/part/A1010...Conversion.html
mepstein
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 10 2015, 02:05 PM) *

So the LEDs are a direct plug and play?

Yes
Geezer914
I contacted JWest Engineering about their 911 relay kits, 74-89 and 73 and earlier to see which one would be better for a 914. I converted my 75 914 to H4 headlights using 100w/55w bulbs.

Their response: "Neither, the 911 headlight circuit is very different from the 914. The 914 is actually much more robust. There is really nothing to gain from adding relays unless you are willing to run power from the battery directly to the front trunk, to feed the relays. Which is a lot of trouble and would most likely result in a negligible difference. James, JWest Engineering"

Here is a picture of my headlight wires. The ground (brown wire) and the yellow wire appear thicker than the white wire. I have used this set up for 3 years and have not had a problem. It still seems like a good idea to add relays to reduce the load on the switches. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.