Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Door lock wafer springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
BillC
This weekend, I decided to try to fix the locks on my door handles. According to the previous owner, they haven't worked (to lock or unlock the doors) since before he bought the car. Thanks to this forum, I was able to remove the outer door handles and disassemble the locks. They were filthy inside and totally jammed up. Unfortunately, some of the springs that move the lock wafers were destroyed in the process.

Can anyone please point me toward a good source for buying replacement springs, and maybe a couple of wafers, too (at least one should really be replaced)? Thanks!
Cj Honeycutt
This guy is Mr. Locks. He knows 914's and can help you with your locks or sell you what you need to do it yourself.

I am a Newbie, so don't know if this is against some rule suggesting an ebay seller. If so, give me a break for being new. Just tying trying to help. I have no affiliation with this seller. Have sent several emails and am very happy with the responses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261621280460?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
euro911
I think that's Dan, tweet on this forum. Send him a PM ...
TheCabinetmaker
Bill, I can send you a couple of springs. The wafers are a different story. There are seven different wafers and over 100,000 combinations of which slot they fit in. Replacement of one wafer must use the same wafer. A measurement must be taken with a dial caliper. Pm me and we can go over how to measure or you can send me your lock and key and I'll make it like new.
forrestkhaag
Mark is correct - tweet is the quintessential 914 lock guy/and gal. In my reso-infancy, I had them rework all of my locks and all of them work with master key and valet key as from the factory - precision and good communication was the norm with tweet tweets.

unless you have unlimited time, send all of your locks to these guys and they will return to you in perfect working order.

If you have unlimited time..........
forrestkhaag
also, having recently rekeyed my 50 Cal ammo box center console to a glove box lock (from Tweet's information) I can tell you - you don't need to measure with a caliper te wafer dimensions.... go to the beach, deploy your chair, and, with a pile of wafers and a fine pecky Pino Grigo do the trial and error method of insertion to mate the cylinder action to your existing key to the lock's intended action...

Again / tweet's service is well worth the price as they have all the correct parts and do wonderful work.

beerchug.gif
mepstein
Aren't the wafers numbered. I thought you just match the numbers in the correct order.
Cj Honeycutt
Mark,
I thought the same thing as most locks do have them numbered. According to the email I received from him (person I provided the link to on ebay), they are not numbered. I was surprised. If they were, with his kit, it would be very easy to do yourself. For the price, I may just try it myself and learn something. If I fail, I know I can send to him to sort out. Very nice person through email.
Carolyn
914Sixer
The some of the original ones had numbers. Most of the replacements do not. DO NOT confuse VW wafers with Porsche ones. VW are thicker and made for single cut keys depending of the years involved.
BillC
Thanks for the help, y'all. However, Cabinetmaker is sending me the parts I need. Please consider this wanted ad "closed".

BTW, when I had my locks apart, I noticed that only the #2 wafers were marked -- they were stamped with a "2" on one side. None of the others had any markings at all.
mepstein
great article on rekeying locks

http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.