Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got the parts but no instructions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Got my new parts yesterday but when I took everything out of the box, there were no instructions. Does anyone have any instructions on how to install these? I mean most of it is self explanitory but there are some things I have to question. Like, where does the large O ring go? My best guess would be it is a seal to go on the outside to seal out dirt fromt the external rollers around the washer between the control arm and the mount on the car. This is starting to look like work. Mike, you out there?? This is your design.
skline
Oops, forgot the picture

Mueller
my design, but not my parts smile.gif

he did tell you that correct???

it's not that big of a deal as long as everything works.....we talked about it and I'm cool as long as he does not pass them off as mine, I don't want to deal with broken parts or failed installs (a few people have gotten a little hammer happy trying to get the bearings into the tube once the tube is installed....on a few installs, the tube gets tweaked ever so slightly, no big deal, just clean the ID and the bearing will go in)

Rear kt instructions

do the tubes have one end turned down slightly?

if so, that is the end that is the end that you insert into the trailing (Pic 1)

Not included in the directions, but it helps, is once you test fit the tube so that it slides into the trailing at least halfway somewhat easy, remove the tube, spray the OD of the tube and the ID of the trailing arm with paint,
now insert the tube completly...the paint acts as a lubricant, sealer and locking compound.

if you have any questions, feel free to call me on my cell:

736conver
Scott,

The instructions are online.
http://www.muellerdesignwerks.com/

I also sent you a email.
Doug Leggins
The instructions are available on-line.

You can find them going to Muellers site in his post in the resources section. Or, try clicking on this link.

Muellers

Eric_Shea
Instructions are $399.99 biggrin.gif
Mueller
oh yea....if you want, you can also add grease fittings to the trailing arm once the tube is installed, the zerk fittings can be found at your FLAPS, just drill and tap for the fitting

pack the bearings and lube the entire OD of the shaft before installing.......

two people are helpful with the install, the needle bearings are darn near 0 friction, the trailing arm will pivot so freely it can be dangerous if you lift the trailing arm up with no shock on it since the trailing arm will now swing back down with 0 resistance
736conver
Mike,

You beat me in replying. I actually was suppose to send your kit to Scott. But shipped the wrong box. I have about 4 of these pre-package up.

I sent him an email about it. Didnt know it was my kit untill I saw the pics.
Mueller
QUOTE (736conver @ Feb 26 2005, 09:32 AM)
Mike,

You beat me in replying. I actually was suppose to send your kit to Scott. But shipped the wrong box. I have about 4 of these pre-package up.

I sent him an email about it. Didnt know it was my kit untill I saw the pics.

shouldn't be a problem, the parts look good to me and after talking to you on the phone it sounded like you knew what to do and how to make them....I wouldn't worry about it at all.... beerchug.gif
736conver
I just dont want Scott to think I was trying to deceive him. It was an honest mistake sending him mine. I gave him my cell # just in case.

Well I'm off to my daugther birthday party. If anyone had questions I will answer them when I get back.
anthony
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 26 2005, 09:22 AM)

Did someone rip off your design or did you work a deal with someone else?
Mueller
QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 26 2005, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 26 2005, 09:22 AM)

Did someone rip off your design or did you work a deal with someone else?

He asked if i minded and I said "knock yourself out" smash.gif smile.gif

I don't see it as that big of deal, unless he makes a deal with Performance Products and sells hundreds of them a month.... wacko.gif
TimT
Mike, your not selling the bearings anymore? damn, just when I was thinking I neede to do that
736conver
I wanted to make sure it was alright so I contacted Mike. I have a few sets here. Will just be selling a few at a time.
skline
I dont have a problem with it, The design is the same and I am looking forward to installing them. Actually, I wish I didnt have to remove the control arm to put them in. I got so much other stuff to do I dont know if I will have time to get them in before the WCC. The white car got a front end treatment today and it now handles a lot better with the Konis up front is is really stiff. I also think I lowered it too much. It bounces like a ricer. Anyway, while test driving it, I blew out a pushrod tube seal and it started dumping oil. So I parked it and went looking for the oil spout. Turns out to be the front PR tube on the drivers side. So I am now removing the HE's and getting it ready for the rear sway bar, shocks, springs, and new 2 liter HE's and muffler. The oil leak is first. But I figured it would be much easier with all that stuff out of the way. I called Brian and talked to him and he did tell me about the mistake in shipping and that if I wanted, he would send me the right ones. I said naw, these will work. Thanks Brian and thanks Mike for the instructions. If I cant get to it before the WCC, maybe we could have a tech session at the WCC and install them?? biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 26 2005, 05:32 PM)
Mike, your not selling the bearings anymore? damn, just when I was thinking I neede to do that

I'm just taking a haitus while i figure out how to make them a little more production freindly for myself.....

front kits I outsource the machined parts from local machine shops...so all I have to do is bag them, the problem is the outlay of about 2 grand with each order to buy enough parts to get decent pricing....

currently for the rear kits, it's a PITA to produce....I buy the shafts in ~3' lengths, use an abrasive cutoff saw to cut them, then I precision grind the ends of the shafts in my lathe with homemade grinding attachment (I try to keep them -.001/+.002)

then the drilling for the 14x2.0 thread, the shafts eat up my drill bits big time, it normally takes 3 bits per hole to get to the 1" depth (I resharpen the bits, so sometimes I'll get lucky and get one hole per resharpening)

for the tapping, I'm lucky if I get 4 holes per one tap...

for the tubes I do a rough cut on with my bandsaw, then I use my lathe to clean up the ends and get those within the same tolerance range as the shafts....

I have a few ideas to either outsouce the machining of the rear kits and/or, re-design the kit completely.....

let me know when your ready, I'm sure I can find an "extra" kit for you smile.gif

db9146
[CODE]Hi,

I'm new to the club and am in the process of collecting the parts to do some serious reworking of my 914. I have been looking at the best replacement for the stock rubber A-arm and trailing arm bushings - from the poly-blah-blah-blah"sleeves" to needle bearings. My question is, how's the ride on the street after converting to needle bearings? Do they add a harsh edge?

skline
I would think it would be up to the shocks and springs after the installation of the roller bearings, since there is no resistance anymore. If you had firm shocks and springs, then I imagine it would be still as firm or firmer. If they are soft and squishy, I imagine it would intensify it. I am running 180's in the back and when I get them installed, I will be able to find out.
fiid
QUOTE (db9146 @ Feb 26 2005, 08:19 PM)
[CODE]Hi,

I'm new to the club and am in the process of collecting the parts to do some serious reworking of my 914. I have been looking at the best replacement for the stock rubber A-arm and trailing arm bushings - from the poly-blah-blah-blah"sleeves" to needle bearings. My question is, how's the ride on the street after converting to needle bearings? Do they add a harsh edge?

Quite the opposite. Harsh edges in the road get eaten by your shocks instead of being transferred to the frame. Expasion joints on the freeway get almost entirely eaten by a good set of konis.

On my car - the roller bearings do not work well though since the frame is supported by jackstands.
skline
You mean they arent supposed to have jackstands underneath? I thought that was standard equipment??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.