Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Rocker panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
My rockers are looking pretty tired. So I am planning to remove, strip, and re-paint.

They are currently on with rivets which I assume I can simply drill out. Correct?

But how to I re-install? Never done any riveting. Is it hard? Can you buy a cheap revit gun? confused24.gif Or, is there a better alternative.

I am a little lost here, so any suggestions / directions would be appreciated.

thx pray.gif
Aaron Cox
Haynes: Installation is the reverse of removal procedure lol2.gif
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 26 2005, 10:01 AM)
Haynes: Installation is the reverse of removal procedure  :lol2:

Funny guy Aaron. wink.gif Just drill out the rivets and remove the screws along the bottom and the ones at each wheel well. I'm going to use stainless shallow pan head screws to hold the top of mine on so they will be easily removed for routine cleaning.
GaroldShaffer
I just removed mine also. Rocker panels To reinstall just get a hand held rivet gun, rivets and re-attach. When you remove them there are three screws on the bottom side plus there should be one inside each fender. Don't do like I did and loose the rubber instolator thingy that goes at each end by the fender. I lost two dry.gif
boxstr
I have removed and installed a bunch of these. Got to the hardware stoes and get yourself a pop rivet gun, @$15-20.00 for a good one. Then get yourself a box of rivets. Take the rocker panel with you if you are unsure of the size. Then just pop rivet the rocker back on. It looks much better, and it has a clean stock appearance.
One thing is to get stainless steel bolts and washers for the three holes on the bottom of the rockers. Also add some antiseize before screwing them back in.
The two wheelwell bolts can also be changed out for, speed nuts on the rocker panel and then a stainless screw to hold it on, also try and replace the rubber spacers between the body and the rocker panels.
It helps to have a really well stocked hardware store close by.
One more thought, paint the back side of the rrockers and valances, keeps the corrosion at a minimum.
I am installing the rockers and valances on the black 6 today.
Good luck.
CCLINROCKANDROLL
Cap'n Krusty
You can buy black anodized rivets to match the originals, BTW. The Cap'n
jr91472
thankyou all

beer.gif
wilchek
I just put my rockers back on today. I was going to use screws, but to keep it looking original, I put the rivits back in. Took five minutes to do. Use 1/8 (1/8x1/4 to be exact) rivets with any rivet gun. Just put the rivert in the hole with the long end of the nail pointing up. Put the nail point in the rivet gun hole and squeeze the handle a couple of times. On the second or third squeeze the nail part will break off and the rivet will be flush. It is a lot easire than it sounds. GOOD LUCK

EDIT: Oh yeah, The bolts on the bottom of the rocker covers are 6MM X 12 (or 16 mm long) and the two screws in the fender well are #8X3/4. I used a hex head for both, as I think they are less prone to strip out. The bottom three bolts are tight with the hex head, but fit. I was unable to find stainless 6MM bolts so I ended up with zinc and stainless washers. GOOD LUCK

RIVET GUN:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00974731000

RIVETS:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00974618000
kenpolives
I decided to replace my rockers with ABS rockers (with the porsche lettering), we I got them from AA (mistake) they came this week, fiberglass not plastic, and no holes predrilled. Worse - gray finish - no I have to get them painted and hope I don't f&*(& them up when I drill the holes.
jr91472
QUOTE (wilchek @ Feb 26 2005, 02:32 PM)
I just put my rockers back on today. I was going to use screws, but to keep it looking original, I put the rivits back in. Took five minutes to do. Use 1/8 (1/8x1/4 to be exact) rivets with any rivet gun. Just put the rivert in the hole with the long end of the nail pointing up. Put the nail point in the rivet gun hole and squeeze the handle a couple of times. On the second or third squeeze the nail part will break off and the rivet will be flush. It is a lot easire than it sounds. GOOD LUCK

EDIT: Oh yeah, The bolts on the bottom of the rocker covers are 6MM X 12 (or 16 mm long) and the two screws in the fender well are #8X3/4. I used a hex head for both, as I think they are less prone to strip out. The bottom three bolts are tight with the hex head, but fit. I was unable to find stainless 6MM bolts so I ended up with zinc and stainless washers. GOOD LUCK

RIVET GUN:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00974731000

RIVETS:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00974618000

sweeet...thanks a bunch smilie_pokal.gif
Orange914x2
I have had to take my rockers off 5 or 6 times per side and I’ve found that the bigger aluminum rivets actually look pretty cool when contrasted with the black (especially if you have aluminum thresholds) they’re also real easy to drill out. the only tricky part is inserting the rivet without chipping the paint underneath (it's a great little spot for water to pool up and start rust around the rivets). So I solved this by cutting some RC car fuel line into little washers that fit onto the rivet. This allows the rivet to break properly without chipping your paint in the process. it actually compresses the rubber fuel line to the point where it becomes a gasket that seals the hole and looks like a clear rubber washer.

can post picts later.

Porsche Rescue
A CW question here, but aren't the original rivets for the rockers the same plastic ones used on the threshold plates? I know that most are now pop rivets or screws but what is factory correct? My recall is white plastic for the early cars and black plastic for later cars. CW's, help me out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.