Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-8 conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrisg
Still contemplating what way to go with for a motor. I'm down to either staying with a type 4 (R.A.T.)or doing the V-8 thing. I'm not totally sold on doing a V-8 yet, it still seems a little out of character for the car(yet I keep coming back to that option, power and price I guess). I'm afraid of winding up with a "point and shoot" car. Any help?
Trekkor
Why is the Porsche SIX out of the question?

KT
chrisg
finding a guaranteed healthy one and rebuild costs kinda scared me off. There is still always the possiblity of that too, that was my first plan when I fell in lust with 914s.
soloracer
Usually it's a case of dollars spent vs. power gains. I would love a 400 hp porsche 6 but not for the cost of a small third world country.
Steve
I did a six conversion with a 3.2.
If I was going to do a V8 conversion I would hang out at the Pomona swap meet in So cal. and buy one already done.
They are a hell of alot cheaper than doing it yourself.
The same can be said for six conversions but I have seen more V8 conversions on the used market.
The biggest issue I see is the HP versus transmission issue.
If your running a six or V8 with 300hp or more you will need a limited slip.
Even with my car and 240 HP it will break a tire loose at 70mph which can be pretty scary.
It only chirps the tire so I'm not that worried.
I'm running a stock 901/914 trans with 245-45-16" tires in the rear and no limited slip.
I have heard of V8 914's spinning a tire at these speeds and causing the car to spin out or hit a tree.
Its easy to buy some parts and build one but you need to look at the cost of the end result which could include a beefed up 901/914 trans with limited slip or a 915/916 trans with limited slip.
With the proper brakes and everything else you can quickly end up with a money pit.
Trekkor
agree.gif

After shocks, suspension, tires, wheels, engine and conversion parts...uh oh, my wife... unsure.gif
chrisg
QUOTE (Steve @ Feb 26 2005, 12:40 PM)

They are a hell of alot cheaper than doing it yourself.
The same can be said for six conversions but I have seen more V8 conversions on the used market.
The biggest issue I see is the HP versus transmission issue.
If your running a six or V8 with 300hp or more you will need a limited slip.
Even with my car and 240 HP it will break a tire loose at 70mph which can be pretty scary.
It only chirps the tire so I'm not that worried.
I'm running a stock 901/914 trans with 245-45-16" tires in the rear and no limited slip.
I have heard of V8 914's spinning a tire at these speeds and causing the car to spin out or hit a tree.
Its easy to buy some parts and build one but you need to look at the cost of the end result which could include a beefed up 901/914 trans with limited slip or a 915/916 trans with limited slip.
With the proper brakes and everything else you can quickly end up with a money pit.

Yeah, I know. Which I guess is why staying with the 4 is probably winning out over the others. Not that I won't turn that into a money pit either.
Andyrew
It doesnt add up to be that much.. biggrin.gif wink.gif

You'll spend the same thing on a six... and end up saying "I could have had an 8"

The only thing I dont like, is that Porsche doesnt think I have a real 914...

And yes, driving around is fun..

Torque is more fun than you can imagine.. Period driving.gif
bondo
Get a ride in a V8.. just be prepared that there's no turning back smile.gif
scotty914
suby your car for 2500 or less, with 175 hp or go suby 3.3 for 240 hp stock, or turbo suby for 300 hp
914GT
I love my V8. As bondo said, there's no turning back once you experience a well made conversion. When I go drive a four it's noisy, slow, and underpowered. Downside - more stops at the gas station. You can have a fun car without suspension, brake and transaxle upgrades. When everything is rebuilt as new the stock parts are just fine for a street car.
Steve
agree.gif
Once you had a six or an 8 you will never go back to a stock four.
That being said I need to get a ride in a 914 with a V8.
Hopefully someone will give me a ride at the WCC.
I think we should host a drive the beast session.
We can take turns driving each others beasts.
Anybody bringing a Suby or Raby beast?
I will bring my 3.2 six.
Maybe Scott will have his V8 there.
I know there will be other 8's and sixes there.
Andyrew
Mine will be there (On a trailer.. YAY!!! allows me to flog it as much as I want with no worries about not being able to drive home) So anyone who needs to have a ride in one can take one in mine.

I SHOULD have it done to my likings by then, If I get some time to work on it. I have the money I need, just not the time.. lol
chrisg
I think I'm going to have to check out some 8's in person.
I'll be doing suspension and brake upgrades anyway.
Look what you guys are starting!
bondo
QUOTE (chrisg @ Feb 26 2005, 05:42 PM)
I think I'm going to have to check out some 8's in person.
I'll be doing suspension and brake upgrades anyway.
Look what you guys are starting!

Paso! Sweet, I didn't notice that at first.. we're getting a bigger group of "locals" now.. One of these days I'll have to host a 914club BBQ (once I actually HAVE a BBQ and a respectable backyard) smile.gif
boxstr
Only regerts I have about the V8 914 is that I didn't have one earlier.
CCLINIHAVEAV8
skline
I dont have any regrets except that I didnt buy one already done. The advantage is I know every single inch of this car. Good and bad. I wanted a 4 also so now I have both. The money is gone now but I will nickle and dime them both till I get them right. The other advantage is getting to do it the way you want it. I built the Chalon to be the exact car I wanted. You can never buy one like that. Everyone has different tastes. Mine will be at the WCC but when you put as much time, love and money into something like this, you really dont want anyone else to drive it. Think of this car like my wife. I dont want anyone else riding her, its mine. Sorry guys. I wouldnt even ask someone to take their car for a drive. I would feel uncomfortable. Like doing someone else wife. If someone offers, I will but I wouldnt ask.
JB 914
QUOTE (Steve @ Feb 26 2005, 02:18 PM)
agree.gif
Once you had a six or an 8 you will never go back to a stock four.
That being said I need to get a ride in a 914 with a V8.
Hopefully someone will give me a ride at the WCC.
I think we should host a drive the beast session.
We can take turns driving each others beasts.
Anybody bringing a Suby or Raby beast?
I will bring my 3.2 six.
Maybe Scott will have his V8 there.
I know there will be other 8's and sixes there.

Steve,

i just dropped a new tranny in my V-8. i need to get some brake work and alignment done for my peace of mind.

I'm in Garden Grove and you are welcome to come by and check it out and go for a drive.

chrisg
Joe Buckle,
I just might take you up on that offer one of these days.
chrisg
assuming that was to me also, and not just Steve.
Steve
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 26 2005, 05:46 PM)
I dont have any regrets except that I didnt buy one already done. The advantage is I know every single inch of this car. Good and bad. I wanted a 4 also so now I have both. The money is gone now but I will nickle and dime them both till I get them right. The other advantage is getting to do it the way you want it. I built the Chalon to be the exact car I wanted. You can never buy one like that. Everyone has different tastes. Mine will be at the WCC but when you put as much time, love and money into something like this, you really dont want anyone else to drive it. Think of this car like my wife. I dont want anyone else riding her, its mine. Sorry guys. I wouldnt even ask someone to take their car for a drive. I would feel uncomfortable. Like doing someone else wife. If someone offers, I will but I wouldnt ask.

No problem Scott.
I fullly understand.
Its part of the look but don't touch policy with the wives.
Except drooling over your car is probably ok versus drooling over wives could be a bad thing.
Don't need to drive it, but a ride in the passenger seat would be nice.
No pressure!!
Steve
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Feb 26 2005, 05:47 PM)
Steve,

i just dropped a new tranny in my V-8.  i need to get some brake work and alignment done for my peace of mind.  

I'm in Garden Grove and you are welcome to come by and check it out and go for a drive.

I think we need another barbeque and this time we can take turns riding in each others cars.
skline
Steve, I have seen your wife, very nice, I think I told you then, that you are a lucky guy. I tried not to stare but it was difficult. I dont mind people staring at my wife or girlfriend, I just dont want any of them to take her for a test drive. Otherwise you would marry an ugly woman and not worry. Its nice to know that others like what you like, but some things you dont just touch. I would be more than happy to take you for a ride. Hopefully it will be all one color primer in the next week or so and looking ok. Right now it really looks crappy to me. The body is close though.
skline
QUOTE (Sammy @ Feb 26 2005, 09:01 PM)
I don't regret doing the V8 thing, but i would never do it again.
I never fell in love with that car and don't miss it at all. In fact i looked forward to selling it.

I do love the flat six.

But Sammy, you are kind of a purist since you got the taildragger. So one out of ten isnt bad.
boxstr
Steve I should have my V8 at WCC this year, so look me up and you can take it for a drive.
CCLINDRIVEMYCAR
skline
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 26 2005, 09:17 PM)
Steve I should have my V8 at WCC this year, so look me up and you can take it for a drive.
CCLINDRIVEMYCAR

Yeah, Its probably for sale too isnt it??
Steve
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 26 2005, 07:34 PM)
Steve, I have seen your wife, very nice, I think I told you then, that you are a lucky guy. I tried not to stare but it was difficult. I dont mind people staring at my wife or girlfriend, I just dont want any of them to take her for a test drive. Otherwise you would marry an ugly woman and not worry. Its nice to know that others like what you like, but some things you dont just touch. I would be more than happy to take you for a ride. Hopefully it will be all one color primer in the next week or so and looking ok. Right now it really looks crappy to me. The body is close though.

Thanks Scott!!
I got lucky.
She is low maintenance and has a great heart.
Your right, there is nothing wrong with looking but no test drive.

If the weather holds we should do another barbeque or just meet somewhere during the day on a Saturday.
Have you ever checked out crystal cove on Hwy One early Saturday morning.
Derelect doughnuts has the rods but Crystal cove has all the rich people sports cars.
Ferarri's, Lambos, Lotus Elise, rare porsches, etc...
Its between Laguna beach and Newport beach on Hwy one every saturday morning.
Just like derelect doughnuts everyone is mostly gone by 9am.

My 914 is leaking oil really bad and I need to replace all the oil return tubes.
I might as well change the oil and adjust the valves while I'm at it.

Hopefully I will get it back together before the WCC.
Steve
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 26 2005, 09:17 PM)
CCLINDRIVEMYCAR

Your 914 looks awesome.
I bought a set of AA steel flairs.
I just need to dig up the funds to get them installed.
Several years ago I took the easy way out and riveted on some GT rear flairs.
I spray painted them silver before I put them on.
It doesn't look to bad, kinda racy but I'm looking forward to getting the AA flairs installed.
skline
Yeah, I am hoping you make it, did you register yet? He set the deadline to the 15th of next month. Maybe we could cruise up together? I know Joe Buckle is going up and anyone from So Cal is welcome to cruise up with us. We should start a thread and get a list of names and times they are planning the trip up and route. I am up to leave on Friday around noon. That will put us there around 2 or 3.
neo914-6
I started my conversion in the early eighties but life changes prevented me from finishing it myself. If I had known then what I know now I would have done it differently but that is typical 20/20 hindsight. Today there are so many parts and knowledge to do a great V8 conversion.
If you want a street rod or pseudo supercar, go for it! I won a street rodder award because few people had seen a V8 in a porsche at the time. If you want to gain more acceptability in the "real" porsche crowd or race venue, go for a 3.6 flat six.

My interests have shifted and I'm on to a new challenge...
Steve
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 26 2005, 10:05 PM)
Yeah, I am hoping you make it, did you register yet? He set the deadline to the 15th of next month. Maybe we could cruise up together? I know Joe Buckle is going up and anyone from So Cal is welcome to cruise up with us. We should start a thread and get a list of names and times they are planning the trip up and route. I am up to leave on Friday around noon. That will put us there around 2 or 3.

I'm registered and going up but the WCC is right after my kids spring break.
So sad to say I'm only attending Sunday and Monday.
I will be visiting the mother inlaw up north and camping the previous Monday - Friday.
I'm still debating on the trailer mess.
rick 918-S
Regrets? What do you think?
porsha916
I bought a 215v8 buick conversion, added a tach from renagade. The first 914 owner I gave a ride to is doing a 327ci conversion. I still need to replace the radiator overflow (to small ). 215ci conversion only adds about 50 pounds to the weight of the car I am told (have not weight it ).
I am planning to test the limits this summer, drag race/autocross/hill climb, I will post the results.
JB 914
QUOTE (chrisg @ Feb 26 2005, 12:21 PM)
Still contemplating what way to go with for a motor. I'm down to either staying with a type 4 (R.A.T.)or doing the V-8 thing. I'm not totally sold on doing a V-8 yet, it still seems a little out of character for the car(yet I keep coming back to that option, power and price I guess). I'm afraid of winding up with a "point and shoot" car. Any help?

Alot of good informaition so far.

i've built a big 4 and bought a v-8 car that needed work. I also had accumulated all the parts for a v-8 car that i bought and had ready to put in when i decided to buy one with most of the work done. i'll eventually build the 327 motor for it and drop it, but, for now it ain't broken. laugh.gif I've got a little more than stock 350 in it now that isn't even tuned right and it is scary fast. burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif

You can get silly with the $$ you spend on a 4, 6 or 8. You wanna upgrade? Open up the wallet baby:o Brakes, suspension, ect can be expensive upgrades no matter what motor you want.

Whatever you decide, do your homework and only purchase products from vendors with a good rep. i've given up on looking for the cheap fix. it always costs me more $$ & time.

Good luck with your project.
CptTripps
I've been reading this thread because I'm thinking the same thing for my 'next' 914. I think I've decided to go with a 3.0ish six. I have enough problems with people calling it a VW, I can't imagine my response if I had a 'chevy' motor in it.

Who knows though...I'm going to start collecting parts next year and maybe I'll end up with an 8....I'm also watching the German-8-or thread to see how THAT turns out. wink.gif
scott914poor
Not inthe least. I'm 69 going on 21 and the car keeps me from aging too much. Nice days I will work up any excuse to drive around a bit.
neo914-6
Not inthe least. I'm 69 going on 21 and the car keeps me from aging too much. Nice days I will work up any excuse to drive around a bit.

Scott "P"? Welcome and post a pic! smilie_pokal.gif
Felix
rick 918-S
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Feb 27 2005, 06:03 AM)
I've been reading this thread because I'm thinking the same thing for my 'next' 914. I think I've decided to go with a 3.0ish six. I have enough problems with people calling it a VW, I can't imagine my response if I had a 'chevy' motor in it.

Who knows though...I'm going to start collecting parts next year and maybe I'll end up with an 8....I'm also watching the German-8-or thread to see how THAT turns out.  ;)

Not sure you've seen the build thread for the Alien but incase you didn't, click on Alien progress link at the bottom of my post... Buy make sure you have lots of time to read.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.