Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am thinking about being rash!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 01:27 PM)
...looks like a Euro 2.4, factory carbs, no outlet for the MFI sprocket....

so, we'll ask again -- what is the engine Type Number?
i'm still holding out for 911/57

no MFI sprocket? there goes the "RSR Cam" theory ...
Root_Werks
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 28 2005, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 01:27 PM)
...looks like a Euro 2.4, factory carbs, no outlet for the MFI sprocket....

so, we'll ask again -- what is the engine Type Number?
i'm still holding out for 911/57

no MFI sprocket? there goes the "RSR Cam" theory ...

I will check the type # tonight. I never have actual hopes when I am told something with Zenith carbs has any type of "R" spec cams in it. I don't think it does. Sometimes legends are made of the engines that sit. biggrin.gif

Anyway, I am pretty sure it's a Euro spec 2.4T engine. I have heard there were a few imported to the US during that time frame. Either way, Geoff got me a great deal on what looks to be a great motor! Thanks Goeff!

One question comes to mind though, if it is a Euro 2.4, would it have bigger than the 27.5mm venturies? Hmm, I will have to look.
Bleyseng
Where is the engine type number located?? I poked around lookin for it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 02:09 PM)
One question comes to mind though, if it is a Euro 2.4, would it have bigger than the 27.5mm venturies? Hmm, I will have to look.

i'm guessing no, since the ports and valves were unchanged from the 2,2. in any case, Frère doesn't mention it, although he does show the cam timing changes.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 28 2005, 02:15 PM)
Where is the engine type number located?? I poked around lookin for it.

Posted: Feb 27 2005, 02:06 AM
by JP Stein ...

The type # is just below the hose clamp in your pic on the right side of the engine....stamped into the case just inboard of the chain housing ....
GTeener
smile.gif
GTeener
smile.gif
Bleyseng
ok, wise guys. Where in the pics is the 911/57 or whatever numbers?? I took the pics remember?

biggrin.gif

just trying to learn something here cuz I don't know sheet about 911 motors and all my reference books went to AZ for Blair to read.
Joe Bob
Just above the serial number....it's usually very faint.
Bleyseng
So faint thats its not freakin there!
sixnotfour
6- six cyl.
5- TV Zenith Carbs 1- USA mech inj.
3- 73 model
3192- seq. #

Also known as 911/57 beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
Hallejuah! someone who can read serial numbers....
kewl.

Geoff biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Below and to the right of the S/N. there's a raised boss (for a stud or oil passage) . That's a 73 (per the S/N) motor & thus prolly a 5R or 7R case...a good one. 7R, 2.4L cases are somewhat sought after
sixnotfour
5R Dan looked.

Now he hopes it runs Good Enough biggrin.gif laugh.gif
J P Stein
Right on that boss under the oil fitting, IIRC. I can't double check mine cause the engine room is sealed off.
sixnotfour
Actually it is straight back from the temp sender , stamped Left to Right , just in front of the case going vertical .
Or in the shadow of the picture.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (GTeener @ Feb 28 2005, 02:31 PM)
smile.gif

congratulations, Gwen, you have identified the Serial (not Type) number ...)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ Feb 28 2005, 12:13 PM)
5R Dan looked.

Now he hopes it runs Good Enough biggrin.gif laugh.gif

happy11.gif Been pretty lucky so far happy11.gif

I am sure it's fine. I will go through the carbs, but have a set of webbers I will toss on it for now. I could put this in and have it running in a couple of days easy, but I have been waiting for Don/GPR to start making those oil tanks. Looks like I might have to go Vellios again?

Anybody know what a Euro 2.4T puts out? US was 140hp, so I am thinking 150hp for the Euro? idea.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 03:56 PM)
Anybody know what a Euro 2.4T puts out?  US was 140hp, so I am thinking 150hp for the Euro?

130 @ 5600 / 145 lbs-ft torque @ 4000.

up 5 from the 2,2

(the US 2,4T was a MFI engine ...)
sixnotfour
6- six cyl.
5- TV Zenith Carbs 1- USA mech inj.
3- 73 model
3192- seq. #

The scecond number in the serial number indicates the engine types, in addition to the type stamped into the casebehind the sender.

1= T-E
2=E-E
3=S-E
5=TV-Ezenith
6=SC-Fcarrera
Root_Werks
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 28 2005, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 03:56 PM)
Anybody know what a Euro 2.4T puts out?  US was 140hp, so I am thinking 150hp for the Euro?

130 @ 5600 / 145 lbs-ft torque @ 4000.

up 5 from the 2,2

(the US 2,4T was a MFI engine ...)

Sounds like you are quoting the DIN rating? Maybe not? You look at different places and see different numbers, so it is what it is. I guess I don't really care. If it runs out good, I am happy. If not, I know this great engine builder who can put together something grand. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
I looked this up for the Euro spec 2.4's:

Building on the success of the 2.2-liter engine, Porsche bumped the 911's six to 2.3 liters (actually 2,341 cubic centimeters, which Porsche badged as a "2.4") for 1972 by bumping the stroke up to 70.4 millimeters from 66 millimeters while keeping the bore at 84 millimeters. This pushed output of the 911T engine (now with Bosch fuel injection) to 157 horsepower, the 911E to 185 horsepower and the 911S to a potent 210 horsepower. The new power led Porsche to install a new, stronger five-speed transaxle and a new, more robust version of the still ludicrous Sportomatic.

and this for the US Spec stuff:

Meanwhile, over here, the '73 911s had their "2.4" engines also rerated using net figures to 135 horsepower for the 911T, 159 horsepower for the 911E and 181 horsepower for the 911S. Otherwise, if you could perceive a difference between them and the '72s, you were a Porsche fanatic of the highest order. Midway through the year, Bosch electronic fuel injection replaced the mechanical unit on the 911T and that engine was rated down a single pony to 134 horsepower, but drivability soared.

So what does this mean? Maybe I have a 157hp engine? Maybe a 135hp engine? confused24.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 04:11 PM)
...This pushed output of the 911T engine (now with Bosch fuel injection) to 157 horsepower...

Meanwhile, over here, the '73 911s had their "2.4" engines also rerated using net figures to 135 horsepower for the 911T
So what does this mean? Maybe I have a 157hp engine? Maybe a 135hp engine? confused24.gif

except that you do not have a Bosch Fuel Injection 911T (Einspritzen) you have a 911T-V (Vergasser - carburetor). MFI was good for 10-15 HP.

Anderson shows 911/51 (USA-MFI) at 140HP, the 911/57 (ROW-Zenith 40TIN carb) at 130, so those look like the same units/methods (labelled DIN all...)
Root_Werks
Hmm, sounds like this is just a run of the mill ROW engine then? idea.gif Well, if compression is the same as well as timming and cam's, with some carb tunning, maybe I can squeak 140hp out of it. Happy enough for me!
J P Stein
The good news is:

Piston squirters
Counterbalanced crank
Thicker clyinder spigots
Big valve heads....but small ports. The vintage racers luv them heads.
And the compression is so low it'll run on anything. biggrin.gif

I put one of those in my 914. Good low end torque ...it would idle away in first from a stop. Ran out of steam about 6K.

Sixnot:
That's what I get for not double checking.... confused24.gif
Root_Werks
Doesn't sound like a bad set up then. I have some webbers I will toss on it for now. They are 40/36's, I forget the jetting, but it made my last 2.2T six haul! burnout.gif They will probably be even better on a 2.4T.

I learned a lot today. I didn't know there was a ROW engine, Euro engine and US engine. Sort of cool to know! Thanks everyone for the info!
Joe Bob
All that information is in Bruce Anderson's book....I just don't memorize it some guys do.... dry.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 28 2005, 05:41 PM)
All that information is in Bruce Anderson's book....I just don't memorize it some guys do

you just happened to get me on a snow day when i was home early and had access to Anderson and Frére...

i carry the '69->71 (2,0-2,2) and 914 Spec Books in my briefcase. stray from those and you get potluck on what references i've dragged along on any given day ... (today - 1997 Subaru...)
J P Stein
It's like any other reference book, you don't have to memorize info, just know where to find it.

You can't imagine how many times I've read "I bought this motor and the guy tole me it was (fill in the blank). Did I get a good deal or whut?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.