Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am thinking about being rash!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Bleyseng
Picked up a 2.4l six today and maybe this one has found a home if I scrap all my big 2.4L four plans.

I can't decide:

Big screaming four
or
2.4lsix

or wait to save up some more money and install a 3.2!

What do you think I should do??

Geoff
ClayPerrine
Go for the six....

But make sure that you don't get DWD while doing it. Or you could end up like me....

I bought a 911 tach at a swap meet (Honey, some day I want to put a six in my car, but not now). That started the 4 years and counting oddysey of my car....

Oh, DougC has a 914/6 flywheel for sale in the parts forum.
xsboost90
a six would -in theory- just add to the value of your car.
Jeroen
go six!
TimT
You can break down that 2.4 and rebuild it into a screamer....

get a 20/21 cam or a 158R or GE60 cam, have the heads freshened.....bolt it all together with the Webers that I see on your engine and things will be good.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 26 2005, 09:48 PM)
get a 20/21 cam or a 158R or GE60 cam, have the heads freshened.....bolt it all together with the Webers that I see on your engine and things will be good.

i think it's going to take more than cams to really wake up a 2,4 T ...
J P Stein
Got a type number on that, Geoff?
The shroud color says 'T' , but....?
ClayPerrine
If the webers are factory, it's a T motor. All of the other 2.4 motors were MFI......

Bleyseng
supposed to have RSR cams in it already
Factory carbs
Geoff
red914
find a roller and have both!

c'mon, like you haven't already thought of it cool.gif
anthony
Go for the big 4. Don't you already have the Nickies for that? The conversion parts alone will cost $4K to put that 2.4 in your car.
redshift
I'd put the 2.4/6 in there... but not that one. smile.gif

The 2.4 E or S makes my favorite 914 setup.

M
VegasRacer
six
Brando
if the 6 is going to be opened up... best to put some 964 cams in there, straight headers, punch it out a bit, updated cam chain tensioners (oil fed), shuffle-pinned... You can take it up to 2,9 safely. It'll be a screamer. burnout.gif
boxstr
Geoff put that six in your westy. And then get a V8 and go real fast in your 914.
CCLINRH
J P Stein
The type # is just below the hose clamp in your pic on the right side of the engine....stamped into the case just inboard of the chain housing ....should be 911/XX. Get that number before you do anything.

73.5 2.4T had CIS. Euro 2.4Ts had carbs.
Trekkor
The conversion parts alone will cost $4K to put that 2.4 in your car.

If you want to upgrade to a 3.2 someday, the parts aren't getting any cheaper.

You can get all the conversion parts for under $3k if you are me. wink.gif

Go SIX, please.

Thank you.

KT
MecGen
Hi
I, like most teeners, have thought about conversions...
Put aside HPvs$$ (V8 wins hands down), why does an aircooled six always makes me stop breathing ?
If you go for the big four, you will always see that six in the corner of your eye, if you go for the six, you will forget about the four, except when your pulling $$$ out of your pocket.
I absolutly did not help, I am confused.
screwy.gif
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
scotty b
My .02 Put the six in your driver with 67S cams, open the jets, early 911 stock exhaust,if the pistons need replacement go with a set of J.E. high comps., that makes a very fun "cheap" driver. Keep the 4 banger and build a racer!! aktion035.gif
redshift
Uhh... that is an upside down 9.

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 26 2005, 11:29 PM)
supposed to have RSR cams in it already
Factory carbs

okay - -something- is wrong with this picture...
(or you've found out why it runs like crap and was available to you cheap...)

a 72-73 2,4 911T engine should probably have come with Zeniths but a Weber change is not uncommon. it does, however, have 7,5:1 compression and the RSR Sprint Cam is a pretty radical profile - i'm surprised there's enough static compression with that much overlap to even get the fire lit.

unless it also has big compression pistons, but then you have to wonder if it has had all the other updates necessary to actually use that level of performance (big ports, big valves, uprated valve springs for the rev range where those cams work...

RSR sprint cams work great with 3,0 liters and 10.3:1 compression.

be interesting to find out what you've got there, really !
the type number is a start - i'm guessing 911/57
IronHillRestorations
agree.gif

It would have to have different p/c's to run right. The 2.4T is low enough compression you could turbo it biggrin.gif

You know what my advice is Geoff. (whispers) Go the distance......If you build it you'll have fun......

Seriously, if you do a six conversion the car will always be worth more, even if the engine goes toes up on you (then you'll have a reason to get the Motronic 3.2 you want anyway). If you build a big (pushrod) four, the car will always just be another four.

Fresh engine vrs fresh engine, the six will last longer than the hopped up four, run smoother, rev happier, and test your driver and mechanic skills more.

I've posted it before, but here it is again; nobody says "gee I don't like this six, I'm going to convert it back to a four"
Mark Henry
Build the four...you already have the nickies.

Oh wait....go six....I'll give you .10cents on the dollar for your nickies! biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
engine numbers
Bleyseng
serial#
Bleyseng
carbs
Aaron Cox
uhmm zeniths..... chatsmiley.gif
Bleyseng
new owner!
Bleyseng
Guess this means I am gonna try to build a screaming four 2.4L with Andymaniforlds and Haltech EFI.

Should make for a crazy project!

(Hows the Blogging feature coming McMark?)

Geoff
pete-stevers
six,six smilie_pokal.gif yup thats what I am doing, slowly but surely....I here it is kinda like and investment ha! ha! nothing wrong with doing a 2.4!
Go for it.... biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
DWD at it's finest wink.gif

I have a guy who might be interested in the nickies but he's a CSOB...but I think he'll give you more than my .10cents on the dollar for your nickies offer. laugh.gif

PM me with a price and I'll forward it to him if you want.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 27 2005, 11:49 AM)
Guess this means I am gonna try to build a screaming four 2.4L with Andymaniforlds and Haltech EFI.

Geoff

this is the 4 banger right?
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 27 2005, 10:58 AM)
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 27 2005, 11:49 AM)

Geoff

this is the 4 banger right?

Screamingfour(4)with103mmNikkiescamceramicliftersAndyManifoldsHaltechEFI

Should keep me busy for a few weekends.
I'll do a six conversion later after I build the new house with a two car w'shop garage. We are planning that for starting next year, gonna tear down the rental and go for it.

Geoff
Mark Henry
My bad I thought your going /6 right away.

Was going to ask what Andy's manafolds are...but then I realized Sir Andy...plenum.
Bleyseng
I hate carbs and the six motor had carbs which means I would have to do alot to it besides the cheapo six conversion like Tekkor.

Geoff
sixnotfour
agree.gif I am a big promoter of the Six, But Like you think why go back to carbs , Ive seen so many 911 owners take off their CIS wanting Power, installing carbs etc, just to end up disapointed in the way it drives cold ,hot, etc.

3.2 /6 on the other hand go for it. You made a good decision I think. smilie_pokal.gif
Eddie914
SixnotFour,

You don't happen to have a 3.2/6 lying around do you??

... and a roll cage?

Eddie
Sparky
I had a rash once, the doctor gave me some lotion and told me to keep it behind a zipper unsure.gif

I'm going 6 - soon as I finish the house and bribe the wife. Got all the parts just want the cash to freshen up the engine before I do the swap.

My best,
Mike D.
Joe Bob
Has ANYONE ever met Dirk Wright?
Bleyseng
That I recall he was in the Mid West somewhere. He was just a poster on the old boards that got funnier and funnier as he took his car apart to "I better fix this and take this apart so I'll take that apart since I am doing that I'll take that apart too".
This is way back when you Mikey had the Rocket and were thin.

I even had more hair back then.

Geoff dry.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 28 2005, 07:15 AM)
That I recall he was in the Mid West somewhere. He was just a poster on the old boards that got funnier and funnier as he took his car apart to "I better fix this and take this apart so I'll take that apart since I am doing that I'll take that apart too".
This is way back when you Mikey had the Rocket and were thin.

I even had more hair back then.

Geoff dry.gif

Yeah....but yer uglee and I can diet..... flipa.gif

I just wondered if Dirk realizes how much of a legacy he has left behind....
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2005, 07:54 PM)
If the webers are factory, it's a T motor. All of the other 2.4 motors were MFI......

2.4 T motors were MFI until early-mid 1973, when they became CIS equipped, and those aren't Webers. The distributor is a 2.4 or later, and the early ones won't fit the 2.4 and later case. Ergo, it's a 2.4 or later that has had the FI removed and Zenith carbs installed. The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 27 2005, 06:30 AM)
My .02 Put the six in your driver with 67S cams, open the jets, early 911 stock exhaust,if the pistons need replacement go with a set of J.E. high comps., that makes a very fun "cheap" driver. Keep the 4 banger and build a racer!! aktion035.gif

Can't put S cams in a T motor without changing the pistons, which makes it no longer a T. The Cap'n
mike_the_man
Geoff,

You gonna sell that six? How much do you want for it? I think you've made the right decision going with the 4. Now sell me the 6 for reeeeeeeeally cheap! biggrin.gif

Bleyseng
Its gone! Sold it.

Geoff
mike_the_man
Well that was quick. Crap! huh.gif Oh well, back to the search.

Bleyseng
Did you have a Wanted: Ad in the Classifieds? That will help to let people know you are looking.
There are other motors out there so what are you lookin for??

Geoff biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
Well, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, and I'm not looking too hard just yet. If I could find something for a decent price, I'd jump on it. I'm thinking a 2.2 - 2.4L. Something that I could use the stock transmission with, and if I could get away without an external oil cooler, that would be even better.

Sooner or later, I'll figure it out. wacko.gif

Root_Werks
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 28 2005, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 27 2005, 06:30 AM)

Can't put S cams in a T motor without changing the pistons, which makes it no longer a T. The Cap'n

Krust, I bought the 2.4 from Geoff over the weekend. Looks like a decent engine. Also looks like a Euro 2.4, factory carbs, no outlet for the MFI sprocket. The carbs look factory, all the pieces are corectly there. I haven't had the time to look deeper into it, but I am guessing it's a Euro 2.4T engine.
Root_Werks
Also, there is no Thermal time switch, so A non-CIS engine I am thinking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.