Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injectors Boots Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I am a visual learner. My 42 year old injector boots are fried. I got some new ones and would like to replace them.

However, I have searched and I can not find a picture tutorial on how to replace them.

Someone yesterday said "Remove the pins from the connectors, might be able to use small metal pick to release the springs holding the pins inside the connector."

I don't want to start monkeying with my 42 year old wiring harness if I don't know what I am doing!

If someone gets bored and wants to create a visual tutorial, I am sure I would not be only one that would greatly appreciate it.

I am sure 914Rubber would sell more boots too if an tutorial was available.
JeffBowlsby
If the boots are gone, the more important question is what condition are the wires and wire terminals in, especially under the boots? Brittle? Broken? Hardened and cracked? Corroded? Contaminated? Oxidized? Or are they pliable, clean and make good electrical contact?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 18 2015, 01:50 PM) *

If the boots are gone, the more important question is what condition are the wires and wire terminals in, especially under the boots? Brittle? Broken? Hardened and cracked? Corroded? Contaminated? Oxidized? Or are they pliable, clean and make good electrical contact?

Wires are not bad considering they are 42 years old! Car runs fine. One boot gone, one should be gone (see right one in picture!), the other two are okay. 914 has always been garaged and driven but not regularity until recently after the twins got of college and I had some folding money!
JeffBowlsby
Push the wire into the housing so the tab end does not drag on the back of the housing as you depress it or you may deform the wire terminal tab and break it off.
MartyYeoman
Very helpful, indeed!
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 18 2015, 02:35 PM) *

Push the wire into the housing so the tab end does not drag on the back of the housing as you depress it or you may deform the wire terminal tab and break it off.

Thank you so much Jeff for your help.
JeffBowlsby
Glad to help.

Torn D-Jet FI boots should be replaced as soon as they are noticed, to protect the exposed wiring from heat damage and the electrical connection from contamination. If the boots have been missing for awhile...your wiring is probably brittle, maybe cracked causing shorts and the electrical connections corroded which may cause FI system issues.

I am approached regularly to sell just the boots but there is a reason I don't sell parts separately. Just putting on new boots over damaged wiring/corroded wire terminals is pointless and may give a false sense of security. If the wiring is damaged it needs repair or replacement.
Geezer914
A small jewelers screw driver works great.
Mueller
Not sure if Jeff will agree or not smile.gif

I like to "squeeze" the terminal a little bit so it has more bite or pressure on the spade portion of the injector.

Be careful not to smash it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.