Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 928 engine in 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
garrettlee2
Does anyone know what trans works with a 928 motor in a 914? I was thinking about using an Audi motor but I want something dumber that will work with 4 Webers. Thanks for the input.
JeffBowlsby
Why not use the stock 928 fuel injection?
Rand
Dude, at least ask Rick abut this
EdwardBlume
alien.gif alien.gif
alien_2.gif alien_2.gif
very_first_smiley[1].gif very_first_smiley[1].gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...79834&st=20

Post 34
Tom_T
He's a newbie folks & I doubt he'll get all your cryptic symbolism here:

Try PM or email to Rick with the 928 powered alien" 914-8:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=43

Yes it will work & can be done.

The harder one would be to do a 908 powered flat-8 aircooled like the 2 factour 914-8 prototypes, cuz those motors & transaxles are like hens teeth!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
Buying, configuring, and dialing in 4 webers? No thank you. unsure.gif wacko.gif
Elliot Cannon
Who in their right mind would put a 928 engine in a 914? What? Oh, right... Never mind. av-943.gif
Jacob
Alien Build Thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=7725

Lots of good information there!

thumb3d.gif
Mueller
Stock 901 transmission with a homemade* adapter is what Rick did.

Transfer punches, jig saw and a wood router is what he used if I am correct!
Chris914n6
As far as I know the 928 never had carbs, so it's a no better choice than an Audi motor. The bonus is the Audi motor will bolt to the VW/Audi/Boxster trans.
Mike Bellis
What's wrong with an Audi motor? happy11.gif
rick 918-S
Webers on a 928 engine have been done. There was a street rod done in California in the 80's. More of a show car than a driver.

928 engines are a very different animal. The US spec engines are only 218-219 hp. Kind of a waste of time when you can bolt in a 6 with no drama and get that easy.

The euro engines stock are 300-310 advertised hp. shades.gif The engines are higher compression, have larger valves, bigger ports, the inside of the spyder runners are larger and the throttle body is way bigger than the US engine.

There are very few mods that can be done. The challenge is the block. It's made of allusil. The whole block. You can only run the special iron coated pistons. Try to use aftermarket pistons and they stick to the block. unsure.gif

The other limitation are the cams. They are a long duration short lift designed for F.I. Not suited for carbs.

The engine I have is what is called a hybrid. I am running a 5.0 block and pistons. The 5.0 is a 32 valve engine. I had the piston notched for 16 valve heads. I have a complete euro-spec "S" 16 valve top end with CIS. This combo is producing over 350 RW hp. in the 928's turning all the accessories. I'm only turning an alternator. assimilate.gif

Oh: and I used a 901 with an HB 5th and sorted stack. It's a custom length side shift. (as in I cut the housing with a router to make it fit. No one makes any conversion parts. I made my own adaptor plate and custom flywheel and clutch.

I drive the car hard. Sandy and I have been to almost every corner of the country more than once. I built a cruiser not a town car.
garrettlee2
thanks for all the input. and by the was taking advice from a guy that doesn't eat meat is like taking advice from a woman, rite Elliot
rick 918-S
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Jul 21 2015, 09:30 PM) *

thanks for all the input. and by the was taking advice from a guy that doesn't eat meat is like taking advice from a woman, rite Elliot

unsure.gif hide.gif bye1.gif
EdwardBlume
stirthepot.gif poke.gif
naro914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 21 2015, 10:21 PM) *

Webers on a 928 engine have been done. There was a street rod done in California in the 80's. More of a show car than a driver.

928 engines are a very different animal. The US spec engines are only 218-219 hp. Kind of a waste of time when you can bolt in a 6 with no drama and get that easy.

The euro engines stock are 300-310 advertised hp. shades.gif The engines are higher compression, have larger valves, bigger ports, the inside of the spyder runners are larger and the throttle body is way bigger than the US engine.

There are very few mods that can be done. The challenge is the block. It's made of allusil. The whole block. You can only run the special iron coated pistons. Try to use aftermarket pistons and they stick to the block. unsure.gif

The other limitation are the cams. They are a long duration short lift designed for F.I. Not suited for carbs.

The engine I have is what is called a hybrid. I am running a 5.0 block and pistons. The 5.0 is a 32 valve engine. I had the piston notched for 16 valve heads. I have a complete euro-spec "S" 16 valve top end with CIS. This combo is producing over 350 RW hp. in the 928's turning all the accessories. I'm only turning an alternator. assimilate.gif

Oh: and I used a 901 with an HB 5th and sorted stack. It's a custom length side shift. (as in I cut the housing with a router to make it fit. No one makes any conversion parts. I made my own adaptor plate and custom flywheel and clutch.

I drive the car hard. Sandy and I have been to almost every corner of the country more than once. I built a cruiser not a town car.

928 motor in a 914? Crazy talk...only crazy people would do something like that... screwy.gif alien.gif

and all 914's should be kept bone stock!!

oh...wait... av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Rick...wasn't there something about it actually not fitting and having to 'move' the firewall? welder.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 23 2015, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 21 2015, 10:21 PM) *

928 motor in a 914? Crazy talk...only crazy people would do something like that... screwy.gif alien.gif

and all 914's should be kept bone stock!!

oh...wait... av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Rick...wasn't there something about it actually not fitting and having to 'move' the firewall? welder.gif

Hi Bob bye1.gif

Ya, Not even close to a bolt in deal. Not for the faint of heart... sawzall-smiley.gif
naro914
We would really LOVE to see Alien at Okteenerfest! (oh, and you and the misses too!!) smile.gif

Amazingly, you made that engine look like it fit just fine. A true testament to "if you can dream it, it can happen!"
arkitect
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 21 2015, 07:21 PM) *

Rick,
It would be great to see your built alien in person one day. Don't know if you went to the last WCR.

Dave
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 21 2015, 10:35 AM) *

Buying, configuring, and dialing in 4 webers? No thank you. unsure.gif wacko.gif

There's a guy who comes to the local car cruse with a 4 weber IDA set up. For american iron they used to sell a bolt on manifold and all, like the one below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3kSe0qujg
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(arkitect @ Jul 24 2015, 05:28 AM) *

Rick,
It would be great to see your built alien in person one day. Don't know if you went to the last WCR.

Dave

Good news - there are 2 things that make Rick come to CA - a good deal and a good time.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Jul 21 2015, 07:30 PM) *

The only advice I give people is, if you eat meat it will kill you. Eventually. av-943.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Rumor has it hide.gif that Rick may be moving to the West coast because Mark is moving East! stirthepot.gif biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 24 2015, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jul 24 2015, 05:28 AM) *

Rick,

Dave

Good news - there are 2 things that make Rick come to CA - a good deal and a good time.

You know me so wellRob! smile.gif

Yes Dave,

Sandy and I were there. We have been to several Western events with the Alien. But this year we were in 7 of 9.

She has since been assimilated assimilate.gif into a new family that really digs her. wub.gif Photo from the new owner. I changed the color of the hood before she left but I didn't touch her big tits.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 24 2015, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Jul 21 2015, 07:30 PM) *

The only advice I give people is, if you eat meat it will kill you. Eventually. av-943.gif

Oh I don't know about that Elliott... That sandwich you had at the picnic luncheon damn near caused you to break your neck or something...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.