Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: karmen plate and trunk numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wilchek
I have two pictures attached of the karmen plate in the door jamb and the trunk number stamping. Should these numbers match? The numbers are two off. My car has been Ravene Green for some time and the door vin sticker has Ravenna Green under it. However the dash plate is the orange that goes with the Door plate stamp of "L 20 E". Is it possible that the factory messed up and realized it and never changed the door plate. The rest of the car is Ravenna and does not have any orange under anypart of the green that I can find. The floor pans, the firewalls all the rest of the car is green and had to be painted apart. Any ideas?? Should the trunk number match the plate. Two numbers off is strange. The car is local owed and I am the third owner. The guy who I bough it from was the salesman who sold the car to the original owner. He was unsure, but always remembered the car as green.

(the picture looks different colors due too the flash)
SirAndy
QUOTE (wilchek @ Feb 27 2005, 11:43 AM)
However the dash plate is the orange that goes with the Door plate stamp of "L 20 E".

the dash underframe almost always has a different color (sometimes none, primer only) ...
they were put in after the car was painted and simply came off a big pile of parts.
there's no reason to worry about the mis-match there ...

as for the paint-code on your karmann plate, it could be that the original plate was lost and it was replaced with this one later.
was the car ever repainted (in original color)? if so, they probably removed the original plate and lost it and put this one on there later ...

how hard did you look for a color-change? any overspray on any parts (wire-harness etc.) ?
idea.gif Andy
Bleyseng
The guy at karmann probably screwed up as it was Friday. Now your car is worth a ton of money!!
Have a COA done on it by Porsche to see what the color in listed on their build sheet.

Geoff biggrin.gif
wilchek
I have looked everywhere for overspray. I just don't see it. The hood bolts are not paints also which leads me to believe that it was original. How often does someone pull the hood to paint a car. Under the vin sticker is green. Who would spend the time to get a new vin sticker. Also the HO recal campaing sticker is still next to the VIN. It seems kind of unusual for the car to have been repainted prior to the the early 80's when the HO was done.

how do I get a COA done?
wilchek
PICS
wilchek
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 27 2005, 04:10 PM)
as for the paint-code on your karmann plate, it could be that the original plate was lost and it was replaced with this one later.

It seems odd that they would find a plate that is TWO serial number off
Gustl
I'm pretty sure that there is an other car around, with a Karmann plate that says 5049559 and L65K and the stamped in Karmann number 5049601 in the trunk.
This teener is orange, off course

laugh.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.