Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That's a lot of money for a 76
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
era vulgaris
I'm thinking that this guy accidentally hit the #4 button instead of the #1. The 4 is directly above the 1 on a square 9-digit keypad. He had to have meant $18,500. Right? I mean....right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-/1...em=161772363610
Tom_T
My guess, he's serious as a heart attack, given his glowing write-up & claims that the 4000 76 2Ls are the rarest & most valuable of the 914/4's - ignoring the 1000 74 LEs & higher values & popularity of the more powerful 73-74 2.0's!

He'll either find a bigger fool, or will end up on sale a long time until he gets into reality. While it's a nice 76, it's probably only a #2 or #3+ on Hagarty's value scale.

PS - I also saw it's a former CA car, but the 76s are hard to keep in CA due to the requirement to have it pass smog tests every 2 years, with smog parts hard to find now - so that also holds down prices relative to earlier cars.

However, it does look like a very nice one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Big Len
Isn't the lead picture Auto Atlanta's lot?
Tom_T
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 23 2015, 03:50 PM) *

Isn't the lead picture Auto Atlanta's lot?

Some of the later ones are (3, 4 & maybe 6), but not that first rainy day one AFAIK - although I've only been to their old facility - not the new shop across the street, if it's even done yet?

beerchug.gif
TT
///////
steuspeed
With 143,000 miles. shades.gif
Chris914n6
Looking at the AA receipts he probably has that much in the car... headbang.gif
JeffBowlsby
We should take a poll about what the real sales price will be.
mepstein
He's probably on oxy after bananabang.gif at AA.
dudzy's914
As a future seller, I hope that's where the prices are going in the future, that could be my college fund! biggrin.gif
Sedonut
I think if he got $14,300 he should be happy. I too hope he gets $43,000, makes mine worth more.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2015, 08:42 PM) *

My money's on $14,000. It is a really nice example. But it's still a '76 with 140K+ miles. Not nearly what a low mileage original 73-74 2.0 would go for.

Also, is this AA's building?! I guess their structural integrity is a shitty as their customer service.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/s...zpsy7frcywk.jpg
Jonathan Livesay
Well according to the papers it has the Dr. 914 stamp of approval, so there is that. dry.gif
rhodyguy
"FABULOUS" . too funny. flag.gif
theleschyouknow
hell it's not even forty years old
JeffBowlsby
So the '76's had two stage paint...didn't remember that. I have another factory document that confirms it. Through at least the 1974 models it was all single stage, no clear.

Andyrew
As nice as the car is, I would say he might just find a buyer at 1/2 his asking price.. The 4's are going up... Just not as exponentially as the 6's...
pete000
Good luck passing smog in CA if the car returns to its orig home...
iwanta914-6
As a buyer (not until next spring) I sure hope the prices are not going in this direction yet. Otherwise I'll be looking at used Caymans instead sad.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 09:33 AM) *

As a buyer (not until next spring) I sure hope the prices are not going in this direction yet. Otherwise I'll be looking at used Caymans instead sad.gif

agree.gif
as much as we all would like our cars to be worth more, if we have our cars because we enjoy working on and driving them , and in think most of us are in this camp- do not want them to go to that level- it will eliminate most of us from the market, not just for purchasing but even to maintain .
But yes, i have been looking at a local 2007 cayman S with 53k miles for about $20k, and if someone offered me $20k for my 914 tomorrow i would seriously consider it, however the flip side of that is - wait a bit more, but ithe way it looks if if got out now, i would probably never be able to get back into them again, its not like my income is increasing as fast as the price of the 914's seeem to be.

that car is not a $48k car---- if it is then my 75 2.0 copper metalic is a $45k car because after all only 4700 were made in 75 and less than a dozen original copper metalic are left making it more rare than the LE's right?? lol-2.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jul 23 2015, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 23 2015, 08:42 PM) *

My money's on $14,000. It is a really nice example. But it's still a '76 with 140K+ miles. Not nearly what a low mileage original 73-74 2.0 would go for.

Also, is this AA's building?! I guess their structural integrity is a shitty as their customer service.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a579/s...zpsy7frcywk.jpg

Yep, that's AA. That whole front overhang has been replaced since that was taken.

I would place that picture to about the time that I was working there, since it has George's corvette that he bought while I was there and the old structure. That puts it about two years ago.
Dave_Darling
I scrolled down--I was visitor number 00914 to the page... biggrin.gif

--DD
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 06:33 AM) *

The problem with that is that Caymans are still in their downward spiral value-wise. 914s are ascending. Which side of that curve is more important to you?
Dave_Darling
....The one that puts a bigger grin on my face when I drive it, of course!!

--DD
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 24 2015, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 06:33 AM) *

The problem with that is that Caymans are still in their downward spiral value-wise. 914s are ascending. Which side of that curve is more important to you?

agree.gif
And that is partly why I have not made that change. Btw, I had a 2001 boxer S for 3 years and really liked it. But I sold it and kept the 914, partly due to the IMS issue and knew that I was going to spend 5k on clutch tune and IMS at the 90k mile point. And I didn't want to shell that out. I paid $12,500 drove it and put 30k miles on it at sold it for what I paid for it. Kind of wish I'd kept it but I know that the 914 will increase in value , boxer not.
euro911
Looks like it's been kept well, but yeah, the price is nuts. Maybe HE paid AA way too much for it and just wants to recoup from an expensive mistake?

Anybody else notice that the COA lists blue tartan cloth inserts? - confused24.gif

TX914
Hmm, for that kind of money I could get a real Porsche. wink.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 23 2015, 03:44 PM) *

My guess, he's serious as a heart attack, given his glowing write-up & claims that the 4000 76 2Ls are the rarest & most valuable of the 914/4's - ignoring the 1000 74 LEs & higher values & popularity of the more powerful 73-74 2.0's!

He'll either find a bigger fool, or will end up on sale a long time until he gets into reality. While it's a nice 76, it's probably only a #2 or #3+ on Hagarty's value scale.

PS - I also saw it's a former CA car, but the 76s are hard to keep in CA due to the requirement to have it pass smog tests every 2 years, with smog parts hard to find now - so that also holds down prices relative to earlier cars.

However, it does look like a very nice one!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

76 cars are the most sought after as 73-74's are a lame with chrome bumper and tits! av-943.gif
rgalla9146
This guy went down to Georgia and really drank the koolaide.
What a long load of BS.
The color is great. Everything else "caveat emptor"
ripper911
We drink bourbon down here. beer3.gif

Or sweet tea.

OK, sometimes we drink koolaid too. rolleyes.gif
Chris914n6
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. 1973 Porsche 911 S targa I don't think the factory charges this much for a restoration on a 63k mile car. screwy.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 26 2015, 02:09 PM) *

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. 1973 Porsche 911 S targa I don't think the factory charges this much for a restoration on a 63k mile car. screwy.gif

I saw that this morning, crazy money. blink.gif

Look at the other '73's on eBay, it's a far cry from the $3500 I paid for mine back in the day. It's been a good investment so far, I just wonder how far they'll go.
euro911
914s and 911s are a different birds. It's been reported that a popular comedic celebrity figure purchased a first year 911 (901) for $400k, then had Porsche fully restore the car - for somewhere around the same dollar amount.

To be fair, that particular 901 has some provenance ... it was the first 911 to roll out of the factory, and it's original owner was Dr. Ferdinand Porsche.

Must be nice to have that kind of $ laying around, eh?

I think both of those sellers are in for a long ride. The 911 guy may eventually get $300k or close to it, I doubt the 914 guy will ever get $48k in his life time. Just my opinion of course ...
iwanta914-6
relisted, PRICE DROPPED! to $40k BIN...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/914-/6430/i.html?_...914&_sop=10
blackmoon
Damn, I guess I should not have back dated the bumpers on my rare screaming yellow '75 914 with dealer installed luggage rack
Cal
IMO.....this one looks to be a much better deal for less money.....$25K.

http://www.northshoresportscars.com/invent...listing_id=5463

Chris H.
agree.gif Cal. Never seen that one at any events since 2000. Probably been hiding in a garage. Dealer installed air. Definitely worth a look if you want an original late car.

Nutter965
That silver car is quite a nice car if you want a 76 , although it could be back dated ! ( might cause some eyebrows to lift)
JawjaPorsche
I see where he has relisted and "reduced" the price to $40K!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-/1...9602011?vxp=mtr
iwanta914-6
iwanta914-6
Seller getting a bit more realistic, starting bid $19,500. BIN dropped all the way down to $26,500 from $40K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-2-0-/1...em=161792125907
siverson
> Seller getting a bit more realistic

I suppose it can't hurt to try.

If it was a 73 2.0 I'd be a lot more interested...

-Steve
rhodyguy
Reality check in progress.
JawjaPorsche
I am afraid he is going to have get more realistic that a starting bid of $19,500.

Interesting following this saga and seeing how much he sales it for eventually.
Annapolis914
QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 12 2015, 11:56 AM) *

-Steve

Steve, why the 73 2.0?

I own a 1974 with a "rebuilt" 1973 2.0 engine. Glad it might be in demand.

Thanks, Mark
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Annapolis914 @ Aug 12 2015, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Aug 12 2015, 11:56 AM) *

-Steve

Steve, why the 73 2.0?

I own a 1974 with a "rebuilt" 1973 2.0 engine. Glad it might be in demand.

Thanks, Mark

I think a lot of people did not like the 74 rear bumper tits. The 73 had them on the front only.
siverson
74 is a great year too. But 73s tend to have a little more features and small changes by default - sway bars, center console, silver dot gauges, chrome base on window winder... probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

Actually they are all great years except for 75/76 - THOSE CARS ARE UGLY!!! wink.gif (and even worse 76 requires emissions in California)

-Steve
Cairo94507
I want a '73 2.0 appearance group car because I had one brand new back in 1973 and loved it. Wife may not let me get one..... after the Six I may be barred from another 914.
Cal
I agree that this car was way over priced when it first appeared on eBay for $40K. It's now priced appropriately with a starting bid of $20K. This is actually a very nice car and has had a lot of money spent on it in the past year at Auto Atlanta. The 200+ photos along with the video are IMO a plus for this car and will help with the sale.

There's another '76 that just appeared on eBay that has been back dated that also looks very nice.....it has a BIN price of $30K. Is this a members car?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...lobalID=EBAY-US
mepstein
Spending lots of money at auto atlanta is good for George but not necessarily good for the car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.