Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Bay Wiring Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VWTortuga336
So I am finishing prepping my engine bay in my '74 2.0. I've reference my Haynes manual wiring diagram, but it is too in depth for what I am looking for at the moment.

Can anyone please tell me where these wires are supposed to go? It would also be very helpful if you could tell me what type of connectors I need for the wires that have none. The top wire in the picture is connected to the car. At this point, I'm completely clueless, as nothing was connected when I bought the car so I have no point of reference. I do know the big plug connects to the relay board piratenanner.gif Other than that, no clue.

Also, is there a way I can test my electrical setup before installing the engine? I'd like to hook up a battery and test fuel pump, head lights, turn signals, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
This might help...

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
VWTortuga336
Thanks Rob.

I should have specified, the engine will have carbs. I'm not sure Jeff's kits will help me out. Is mine salvageable?
JeffBowlsby
That 12-pin connector is on the ignition harness, looks like its been modified already. I would not trust it and the same harness works for FI or carbs. Is that the battery+ cable? It looks too short but it would go over to the starter motor. The one in the car already is the chassis harness, those are the terminals that attach at the battery. It too looks modified. Not sure what the far right cable is...no connectors on it>
VWTortuga336
Thanks Jeff. I shouldn't have included that last wire you mentioned in the picture, not sure what the hell it is...

Here is a closeup pic of the chassis harness. I'm assuming the wire with the bolt on it connects to the battery? What about the other connection? Also, it looks like there are two wires that were cut, were these for FI? Any ideas on the green wire?

From what you can tell, am I missing any wires?

Please forgive my electrical ignorance!

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
All 4 red wires attach to the battery. The green wire is the oil temp sender gauge wire. The two cut wires are the fuel pump. WHY DO PEOPLE CUT WIRES and not just simply disconnect them?
Dave_Darling
Does the green wire have a black stripe on it? Or a red one? Or none at all? All three of those variations (and maybe more?) exist in the car, and they are all different wires.

--DD
VWTortuga336
Thanks for clarifying Dave. The wire has a black stripe.
bulitt
Every year is different. This may help. Or not blink.gif

IPB Image

Also-

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...wiring&st=0
Dave_Darling
Black stripe would be the oil temperature signal wire. Comes from the sender in the bottom of the engine (sender not present in all cars, even those with the wire!) and goes through the main harness to the center console or the combo gauge.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.