Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tire clearance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
Is it just me ?
Is rear tire clearance to the (stock ) fender usually tighter on one side ?
Your experience ?
michael7810
Drivers side on mine is tighter. I can slide my finger between fender and tire on the passenger side but not the drivers. I'm running 205-50-15s.
Tom_T
Shouldn't be.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
It's been a know issue with these cars for years. Hand made, loose tolerances, accidents and alignment.
Hank914
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 25 2015, 10:40 AM) *

Drivers side on mine is tighter. I can slide my finger between fender and tire on the passenger side but not the drivers. I'm running 205-50-15s.

agree.gif

Same drivers side issue. My PO rolled my narrow body rear fenders.

Interestingly, I have a small pinky-sized clearance on the drivers rear with 165 narrow tires on aftermarket rims, but thumb-sized clearance with 205 on Fuch 2.0 rims. I think because the 205s are lower profile, hence not as tall as the 165s.

I have heard almost everybody can get 195s in a narrow body, but wider tires it depends. These cars are not standard, but each is unique is that way.
mepstein
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 25 2015, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 25 2015, 10:40 AM) *

agree.gif

Same drivers side issue. My PO rolled my narrow body rear fenders.

Interestingly, I have a small pinky-sized clearance on the drivers rear with 165 narrow tires on aftermarket rims, but thumb-sized clearance with 205 on Fuch 2.0 rims. I think because the 205s are lower profile, hence not as tall as the 165s.

I have heard almost everybody can get 195s in a narrow body, but wider tires it depends. These cars are not standard, but each is unique is that way.

Fuchs 2.0 have the correct offset for our cars. Many aftermarket 4 bolts were for bugs and fit differently.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jul 25 2015, 10:37 AM) *

Is rear tire clearance to the (stock ) fender usually tighter on one side ?

"They all do that." Due to the way these cars were made, they are almost never completely consistent from side to side. There is almost always more clearance on one side than the other. And which side has more clearance is not consistent from car to car, either...

--DD
patssle
I was going to make this exact same post. I'm wanting to change my tires from 185/60 to 195/55 but I'm worried as one side has barely any clearance while the other has plenty. Both front and rear. Would suck to spend money on tires and have a clearance problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.