Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake Runners Phenolic Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
My first post said intake plenum instead of runners. Prolly made a few of ya's go.. Huh? unsure.gif Anyway, I'm restaing the question with the correct title wacko.gif sorry! cool.gif

Do these gaskets get installed dry.... gasket against metal with no gasket seal like the stuff we use on the valve covers?

Got mine off to replace runner hose so as to eliminate another vacuum leak possibility. Speaking of... I found the nuts on the runners to be a little more than hand tight. This may have been the leak I was looking for but it's off now so the new goes on.

Also, anyone know the torque?

thanks..........b
TheCabinetmaker
Bruce, I install them without sealant, but I don't use sealant on the valve covers either. Just a liberal coat of hi-temp wheel bearing grease.

None of my books give a torque value.
Rusty
I don't use sealant, either. Just a light coat of vaseline.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bruce Allert
Hey Curt, thanks. My books didn't give torque specs either.

Alrighty then, back out to cleaning the top of the tins & other stuff smash.gif

.........b
TheCabinetmaker
Your welcome.

Speaking of cleaning engine tin, hers's a pic of our spare motor ready to go in my car will I do a 2056 build. I did a little clean up. biggrin.gif
Allan
Where is your rod for the cooling flaps?
TheCabinetmaker
Cooling flaps were long gone from this motor, along with thermostat, wire, and pully. It's a spare. I don't worry about it much.
jones
But why not some sort of gasket sealant? With our FI cars not liking any vacuum leaks wouldn’t some sort of silicone goop be prudent confused24.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If the surfaces are smooth and the paper gasket material on the phenolic blocks is undamaged, there is no need for sealant, especially the silicone type. You need the blocks as a heat shield for the injectors. The Torque is 2mkp, or 14.5 ft/lbs. I use 18 myownself. The Cap'n
jones
Sorry for the hijack. What is suggested for the intake runner boots?
TheCabinetmaker
If you are referring to the boots from the plenum to the runners, they are available new for the 2.0L. Part#039 133 241. You can use them on the 1.7/1.8, but clamps will be necessary.
jones
vsg914, I have new ones for my 2.0L. Do they require a sealant for install? My old ones would spin by hand on the runners thus a probable huge vacuum leak. Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
I've never seen them with sealant. If loose, they are prolly old and stretched. If the new ones are loose, I would use some hose clamps, but ya shouldn't have to.
McMark
QUOTE (jones @ Feb 27 2005, 05:21 PM)
vsg914, I have new ones for my 2.0L. Do they require a sealant for install? My old ones would spin by hand on the runners thus a probable huge vacuum leak. Thanks

You'll know the answer when you try to put the new ones on. wink.gif No sealant necessary. Vury tight.
Allan
agree.gif Very tight. I'm thinking I will have to use some type of lubricant to get them on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.