Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 oil level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Peashooter
The owner's manual for my 914-6 calls for 9.5 qts. of oil. After installing my engine for the first time, keeping in mind it was completely apart, clean tank, lines, etc, it didn't show on the dipstick(warm and at idle) until 10 qts were in, and it still shows low.
Any thoughts on this? I am thinking the 9.5 refers to an oil change, there being some residual oil left in the lines,etc.
Thx, Bill
siverson
Yup, that sounds about right.

-Steve
Perry Kiehl Clone
You are checking it with the engine warm and idling on level ground? An extra 1/2 quart isn't going to cause a problem.
rgalla9146
No enthusiast owned 911 or 914 6 should show oil above the half full mark.

914itis
Oil changed , drained both from tank line and motor , took 11 1/2 quarts.
larryM
X2

also be aware that there are some incorrect dipsticks in the wild

i b'ot one yrs ago, "certified" oem -6 from a guy who sold us all a lot of -6 stuff - it was nowhere near my real oem stick in length or marks

original -6 German lid sticker says "5 min, 7 max" - see picture

my car with front Behr GT cooler likes 10 qts - if more, it blows it out the vent (and into the track required "catch can")

QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 28 2015, 09:24 AM) *

Yup, that sounds about right.

-Steve

6freak
QUOTE(Peashooter @ Jul 28 2015, 08:32 AM) *

The owner's manual for my 914-6 calls for 9.5 qts. of oil. After installing my engine for the first time, keeping in mind it was completely apart, clean tank, lines, etc, it didn't show on the dipstick(warm and at idle) until 10 qts were in, and it still shows low.
Any thoughts on this? I am thinking the 9.5 refers to an oil change, there being some residual oil left in the lines,etc.
Thx, Bill

the book tells you 9.5 then put 9.5 in ! Steve is right and mines the same it reads just a bit low,but check it when the car is hot and has been driven 11.5 is to much in a stock system
MikeC
Peashooter
Thanks for the replies...since my car was all apart when I got it, I am not 100% sure the oil fill neck and dipstick are right. I have a friend with an original six and I am going to stop by and compare the two. If everything looks good, then I will fill it to where it is reading correctly, then see what it takes when I do a simple oil change. That should be the 9.5 qts. I hope!
patssle
I think I put in about 11 quarts the first time after my /6 conversion. It was bone dry and no external oil cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.