Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most important pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carl456
First time poster.
Looking at purchasing a 914 but new to the whole process.
My question is, before going to view a car, what are some of the most important HD pictures you like to see ("request") when looking at a used 914 online?
Any specific angles?
76-914
Behind the rockers, jack points (beneath and sides), Hell Hole area beneath the battery, suspensions consoles, battery tray, floor area surrounding the pedal cluster, all 4 pans but especially where the rear most pans meet the rear firewall, behind the pad of the rear firewall, bottom of doors/sill plate areas, inside of door jambs, top of fender cowlings (close to windshield), behind the vinyl on the sail panels...................
montoya 73 2.0
Below is a link to my blog on some pics I have collected from other members here.

Rust...where to look
Cairo94507
You will really need to look under the entire car and look for rust or areas that appear to be recently painted or coated with underseal. Some sellers are devious and conceal damage and rust.

Use an ice pick or long pointed steel rod to poke and feel for rusted or soft metal. Look anywhere water can rest and collect. Look inside the trunks with the carpet removed so you can see the metal. Behind the seats, under the seats, the door jams, especially where the door latches as the area below that is prone to rust out.

Also, with the top off and the doors open stand on the floor of the interior and jump and down a little and see if the car flexes. These cars can fold in half when badly rusted. Take a flashlight and look into the jack posts on the rockers below the doors in front of the rear wheels. Pull the black cap off if it is there and check it out. The entire engine compartment, especially on the passenger side below the battery and towards the firewall behind the seats. This is the "hell hole" and if the battery is still located in the stock position, when the car got wet and did not have a sealed battery, acid tended to run out and cause the metal to rust badly. It is not uncommon to look down and see the ground through the chassis due to the rust.

Check all of the electrical to see if everything works - everything, even the cigarette lighter and interior light.

These cars are a ton of fun but the rust monster can ruin your experience quickly. Aside from that it is all fixable. Don't be impulsive and snap up the first car you see. You need to see quite a few cars to know what you are looking at. Or if you take someone with you that knows these cars, terrific - you will be better informed when you find the one you want.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png

Rust, rust, rust...

Buy the nicest car you can afford...
iwanta914-6
All I can offer since I am also in the market, buy the best car you can afford! BUT, do it soon as prices are quickly escalating!

OR, if you have nothing but time and money, find something solid and restore it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 29 2015, 06:46 PM) *

welcome.png

Rust, rust, rust...

Buy the nicest car you can afford...

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

welcome.png welcome.png
Claus Graf
Welcome to the forum.

When you find a car you're interested in, ask in the forum if somebody knows about the car or lives near and can go and check it out for you.

Look out for longitudinal rust.

Regards

Claus

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.