Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 frankenmotor- born in the basment of an undisclosed location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
chad newton
Was running good 2 years ago when I pulled it out. Supposedly rebuilt before I got it, I ran it maybe for 3 hours before I wanted a 6 cyl. Was=1000.00Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Now, whatever I can get....
chad newton
Click to view attachment It must have bus heads, idk. It even comes with the really cool solexs.smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
That engine case code is a 66HP bus motor if its still stock.
chad newton
Hah, could be. I actually thought that c could be a g? But idk, the cb signifies a type 2 dosnt it?
Jonathan Livesay
'72-'73 Type 2 1700 a bus motor all right.
That being said 1K is a bit high. dry.gif
chad newton
Can't be a type 2, no air box.
bdstone914
As a bus motor it will have hydraulic lifters. Was it in a running 914? If not it may still have the bus flywheel. Not interested just trying to get out the right info on the engine.
chad newton
It was in my 914 when I bought it, bolted to a sideshift, running.smile.gif. I really think its a 914 2 liter with bus heads.
JamesM
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 30 2015, 06:42 AM) *

It was in my 914 when I bought it, bolted to a sideshift, running.smile.gif. I really think its a 914 2 liter with bus heads.

Heads are really what make a "914 2L" a "914 2L" Bottom end of the 914 and bus motors are pretty much the same, in this case though the case is a bus serial number as well.

There is nothing here that is 914 2L specific, might explain the desire for a 6 as with this setup you were probably about 40HP down from a stock 914 2L.

Not knowing what crank this thing actually has you are probably looking at 1.7 core motor prices (couple hundred bucks at best)
chad newton
Well someone make me an offer, I just want to get it out of the back of my truck...
sean_v8_914
where is it?
that might help to sell it
mepstein
You should update your ad to reflect the product correctly
chad newton
Hah, I'm going to leave just to piss u off
mepstein
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 30 2015, 04:41 PM) *

Hah, I'm going to leave just to piss u off

No problem.
euro911
If you don't know for sure what it is, why not call it what we all know it is - a mystery motor? confused24.gif
chad newton
Lol, I will change it. Frankenmotor- of unknown origin.
euro911
thumb3d.gif

Since our cars are so old and just the nature of the beasts in general, many of our cars don't even have their original motors. Over the years, many have been rebuilt (some, multiple times), and unless the build documents followed those motors, you could have a 2.xL in a 1.7L bus case and not know it unless you open it up confused24.gif

I had what appeared to be a 1.8L motor that came out of a 914 I acquired a long time ago. It had a rebuild tag riveted over the factory stamped number, so I didn't even know what case it was, let alone what was inside it - so I listed it as a 'Mystery Motor'. Turned out, it was a 1.8L bus motor ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.