With notched rear balance

And what kinda sound should I expect

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/5150524940.html

beerchug.gif
thelogo
I talked to seller

But wanted to check here also

"""Hi I'd like to get the exhaust system 
But what would you say the noise level or difference will be from stock ,slightly louder , much louder , or obnoxious loud . Me
?

Seller
Hi. It will probably be a little louder than stock undrr acceleration. Sportier. It's a brand new turbo muffler never installed. I decided to go with a header. Thanks Gary

Hi Gary and will it fit a 1.7 engine with the notch exit location ? Me

It should it was o n my 1.7. But every car is different .Muffler is a little bigger so you may need to dent it a little to fit. My suggestion would be to have a muffler guy change it out and they should he able to fit it easily.
Seller

JawjaPorsche
Here is chart to help you make sure it will fit your exchangers.
thelogo
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 2 2015, 03:51 PM) *

Here is chart to help you make sure it will fit your exchangers.

I appreciate you posting the diagram

But have no idea how to interpret how this help me determine the fit

Do I just measure the muffler and if it's. 21.5 Or less then I'm ok ?
JawjaPorsche
Yes, take tape measure. Inside holes should be 21.5 apart. Measure center of the hole to center of the hole. (CAN NOT BE LESS! If it is, it is probably a 2.0)

Outside holes should be 29.5.

If not, it is probably for a 2.0

The 1.7 body models also had a different hole for the roll pan. Maybe someone else can offer more information. What year is your 914?

Hope this helps.
thelogo
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17704?...EFo0BoC_VDw_wcB

So it's a 30 dollar muffler welded to a 914 manifold

What do you think this cost to make yourself?

7TPorsh
It will fit the early exchangers with the turned up pipes in back. Excgangers are listed in cg too. I'm the seller. Any issue may be the muffler will need a dent or too to fit depending on the car which is normal. You can have all this made but it won't be for $125.
thelogo
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 2 2015, 04:32 PM) *

It will fit the early exchangers with the turned up pipes in back. Excgangers are listed in cg too. I'm the seller. Any issue may be the muffler will need a dent or too to fit depending on the car which is normal. You can have all this made but it won't be for $125.

Ok fair enough

I think I'll pass , on any other car I would try to fit it in
But the 914 , I don't like taking it to a " muffler guy "
For experimental fitting . I don't like taking it to any shops ,except 1 guy . Steve s machine shop in azuza

Prefer to install myself ,

But thanks for being straight with me .
Valy
Regarding the sound, its something like brrruuuuummmmm!
Chris H.
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 2 2015, 07:24 PM) *

lol-2.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 2 2015, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 2 2015, 07:24 PM) *

lol-2.gif

Great I was thinking more like

Vroooooooom driving-girl.gif

But that s why you all are the experts here

beer3.gif
rhodyguy
exhaust note will be comparable to a bursch. shipping $ will prob suck.
maf914
If the exhaust system is local to you as your post states, why not drive your car to the seller, unbolt your current system, six bolts, and test fit the new system? With new bolts removal of the muffler is one of the easier 914 tasks. Wear gloves as that system will be hot! idea.gif
SLITS
It's a flippin' Sebring exhaust system with a different muffler attached. The original was a round glass pack as I remember. It would burn out fairly rapidly with a commensurate increase in loudness in the exhaust note.

Bursch had the oval muffler like the one pictured.

Performance Products sold them for one. At the time they were $129 new. I had one on my 1971 back in the day.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 2 2015, 05:24 PM) *

I thought it was more like.... rrrrummmppfff!
7TPorsh
RRRRRAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!.....shift.....RRRRRAAAAAAAWWWWWW....shift....repeat
mrholland2
I think it would be clever if we could make them sound like original Beetle exhausts

screwy.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 4 2015, 11:21 AM) *

I think it would be clever if we could make them sound like original Beetle exhausts

screwy.gif

I love that sound. wub.gif
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 5 2015, 07:44 AM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Aug 4 2015, 11:21 AM) *

screwy.gif

I love that sound. wub.gif

That would be a "fweeeeeeeemmmmm"!!

I have the same system on my car. It works fine. It was a bit restrictive on my 1.8L and made the engine sound like a Beetle/Bus engine since it had the exact same single quiet pack muffler (poorly designed muffler). So I removed the stock muffler it came with and built my own dual dump similar to a Triad. It worked great but was a bit too loud on early mornings. So I built my own single muffler that is similar in design, on the inside, to a Flowmaster 40 and had my son Josh weld it up for me (his first welding project). It sounds good now and runs very well with it. I had to make my own because a Flowmaster is too large for the area it needs to fit in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.