Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mazda RX7 Oil Cooler Flow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
Have a modified RX7 Oil Cooler that came with the car which was in process of a 6 conversion. Hoses are run to the engine bay ready to hook up to thermostat. Does anyone know if it matters if the oil enters from the top of cooler or bottom or does it really matter? Internal Tank thermostat is removed already I am going to run a Mocal. Appreciate the input especially from anyone actually running one. Thanks!
screenguy914
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 3 2015, 11:17 AM) *

Have a modified RX7 Oil Cooler that came with the car which was in process of a 6 conversion. Hoses are run to the engine bay ready to hook up to thermostat. Does anyone know if it matters if the oil enters from the top of cooler or bottom or does it really matter? Internal Tank thermostat is removed already I am going to run a Mocal. Appreciate the input especially from anyone actually running one. Thanks!

Typically, oil should exit from the top most fitting. That way, trapped air can circulate out of the cooler.

Sherwood
Lucky9146
QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Aug 3 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Typically, oil should exit from the top most fitting. That way, trapped air can circulate out of the cooler.

Sherwood

Thanks Sherwood that makes sense and I hadn't though of that.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 3 2015, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Aug 3 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Sherwood

Thanks Sherwood that makes sense and I hadn't though of that.

I have this same oil cooler but it's not installed yet. Do you have any more pictures you can post of how it's mounted? Also, are those electric fans mounted on the back side of the cooler?
'73-914kid
I concur. I was always told with oil coolers, "in low, out high" for the same reason Sherwood mentions.
Lucky9146
I have this same oil cooler but it's not installed yet. Do you have any more pictures you can post of how it's mounted? Also, are those electric fans mounted on the back side of the cooler?
[/quote]

Yes I have pictures of the fabricated frame and fans that I cannot take credit for making because the PO did it and a good job at that! Trying to post pictures but not working for me this time will try again later. SorryClick to view attachment
lonewolfe
[quote name='Lucky9146' date='Aug 3 2015, 02:36 PM' post='2218255']
[/quote]

Yes I have pictures of the fabricated frame and fans that I cannot take credit for making because the PO did it and a good job at that! Trying to post pictures but not working for me this time will try again later. SorryClick to view attachment
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep an eye out for the pictures later. Does your setup have a shroud that covers the oil cooler and fans inside the trunk?
Lucky9146
Yes I have pictures of the fabricated frame and fans that I cannot take credit for making because the PO did it and a good job at that! Trying to post pictures but not working for me to well trying

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
You might want to cushion the line where it passes thru the hole. Actually, there is a little flexible plastic circle designed to do just that.
Lucky9146
You might want to cushion the line where it passes thru the hole. Actually, there is a little flexible plastic circle designed to do just that.

Thanks those are actually old pics from PO that I provided at Lonewolf request to see fans and cooler.
gms
here you go
Click to view attachment
McMark
If the thermostat has been gutted, you can flow the oil either direction.
jcd914
If memory serves me, there are 4 rows in one direction and 3 rows the other way.

I would think you would want to flow the hot oil in on the 3 rows and back out on the 4 rows. The oil will cool and thicken some in the first pass and will flow easier and slower thru the 4 rows back out. I'm no engineer but this seem most efficient to me.

I don't have a cooler here to look at and see if that is how Mazda did it or not.

Jim
Lucky9146
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 6 2015, 08:23 AM) *

Glen, thanks for the picture of the RX7 oil cooler flow. I looked but apparently not hard enough to find it! That is how I had it and then switched it to the opposite direction because some have told me it should go in the bottom out the top. Now I don't know if I should switch back it because as others have told me it can flow either way! Thanks again maybe others will chime in.
gms
As Mark said, if you removed the thermostat it does not matter.
I did not see that when i posted
Mark Henry

Although this sounds logical, I doubt it really matters, oil pressure will push any air out PDQ.
If you follow the above schematic the oil flows out the bottom.
rgalla9146
Thank you Glen for posting the factory diagram.
I have that cooler and was going to use it for a GT project.
By handling it I realized that there was a thermo incorporated in it.
I've since found a better configuration(for me) but I wonder why someone wouldn't use the built-in thermostat ?
Two hoses to the front, built in by-pass, easy peasy ! nothing more needed.
lonewolfe
Perhaps the thermostat temperature setting is in the wrong range for an aircooled motor. Also, it's better to have the thermostat located closer to the engine heat source. That seems to be the majority opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.