Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.2L is not enough
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
It would be interesting to start a thread that focuses on the evolution of one's mindset on upgrades to power and reliability in the 914MorphWorld. We all start off with a beater and go in every direction money makes possible.

I am satisfied with the outcome of my upgrade to a 2.2L normally aspirated dual-2 4 from the very sedate 1.7 that unshakably took me to PS, SS, and out of State runs regularly... The change in power, RPM range and delivery of response is very rewarding.

Now, after 1K on the new mill, its time to consider what is next.

My (30 year old) kid is a Chevelle guy with a beautiful AZ car / 12 bolt main 4 spd 2 bucket 502 SS - he cannot even fathom why I start my car up in the morning.

But. Given an unlimited budget and a willingness to exceed it, what is the read out there on a Chevy / Renegade FI LS conversion?

I have had all the 911, 993 and 996 stuff I can stomach. I have the brakes and suspension set up on all four corners / the basis of any good power upgrade.

Jessie's car at Ruby's on Sunday was an eye opener as to start-up, music in the engine bay, and especially the GITGO!

All nightmares and antidotes welcome...

beerchug.gif
76-914
Go for it. You only live once. How much down time are you allocating for the build?
Horsepower is addictive. I just saw a set of Pauter Rods, a set of turbo's and low compression pistons for my 3.0 and I'm thinking, "How much will an additional 400hp cost me, per hp"? biggrin.gif I'd better get my AC installed first. dry.gif
steuspeed
Why not start with a V8 conversion car? There is always one or two on ebay or craigslist for low bucks. Anything you do to it would probably be an upgrade.
rnellums
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 3 2015, 07:23 PM) *

Go for it. You only live once. How much down time are you allocating for the build?
Horsepower is addictive. I just saw a set of Pauter Rods, a set of turbo's and low compression pistons for my 3.0 and I'm thinking, "How much will an additional 400hp cost me, per hp"? biggrin.gif I'd better get my AC installed first. dry.gif

So I'm not the only one with these thoughts??? At least I was responsible and picked up two spare EZ30's so I can build while I drive...
Larmo63
The beautiful red car with the V8 is Eddy's…..

Click to view attachment

matthepcat
LS V8 and moderns transaxle... You will embarrass your son....of coarse if you want to thrash it and cost is no object ...go Mendeola transaxle. Big power means you will need big flares to fit the rubber to harness the power.
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif Good BIG stirthepot.gif ............
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif Go BIG ... here's a little madness I'm sorting out fro PO stirthepot.gif ............

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 3 2015, 09:20 PM) *

LS V8 and moderns transaxle... You will embarrass your son....of coarse if you want to thrash it and cost is no object ...go Mendeola transaxle. Big power means you will need big flares to fit the rubber to harness the power.

Mendeolas are LONG transaxles;
The fore/aft deflection angle of the output drive flanges on the Mendeola sequential transaxle will more than likely not enter the trailing arms of the 914 correctly.
This can be solved by jogging the engine forward into the cabin. blink.gif
914werke
why screw around, confused24.gif
if you want a jack straight in to you adrenal gland,
If you want mind blowing speed, heart stopping breaks, nimble handling
potential for 200mph ...& street legal ....
& show your sons Chevelle your tail

buy a new generation liter class SPORT BIKE!!!! w00t.gif
sunglasses.gif
cali914
I had a 427 world small block in my 914. I beat my cousins Mercedes sl65 amg with a reentech kit on it. Your son does not stand a chance LOL, and yes as the guys are saying use the mendeola transmission, I had the Pantera but hated the shift pattern. If only they had LS back when I was running them. LS3 to be exact. HAHAHAHAH
1stworks
In same boat,my car has brakes,suspension, chassis stiffening. I was running a 2056 and
Got board. My choice is 5.3 l33 with boxster S 6 speed. ....
I just couldn't say no :-)

IPB Image
Alapone
ask your son if his car goes around a corner......
914_teener
Go for it Forrest! I got dibs on the 2.2.

You definately are running down the slippery slope.

Must have been around Larwrence.s new six last Sunday a little too long.

iamchappy
930 turbo fits the car just fine, and with far less work...
eric9144
popcorn[1].gif I need Chappy to drop a 930 motor in mine since it's far less work confused24.gif

sb914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Aug 4 2015, 08:36 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif I need Chappy to drop a 930 motor in mine since it's far less work confused24.gif

And 3x the $. But 3x the cool as well.
Alphaogre
I thought it would be fun to drop hayabusa motor in one with a turbo or super charger. I know they have conversion kits that buggies use, but I thought high revving, F1 sounding motor would be a blast.

They run around 200hp, and are a small low weight engine. Any one of us would be elated to be bulling 200hp out of a 914 motor!
SirAndy
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 3 2015, 06:05 PM) *

Get a 3.6L engine and a set of Boxster brake calipers. All you'll ever need ...
w00t.gif
forrestkhaag
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2015, 10:11 AM) *

w00t.gif

My 993 3.6 dyno-ed at just under the spec286 HP and the torque was awesome. The simplicity of the V8 juice has its appeal and maybe Eddy can chime in but I think the side shift can be adapted to a 250 or less HP motor with a Renegade kit?? maybe... But then and LS motor would want to produce more HP and I would in turn, want more juice....

The slippery slope is more negotiable in a mid-engine car I've heard.
914_teener
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 4 2015, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2015, 10:11 AM) *

w00t.gif

My 993 3.6 dyno-ed at just under the spec286 HP and the torque was awesome. The simplicity of the V8 juice has its appeal and maybe Eddy can chime in but I think the side shift can be adapted to a 250 or less HP motor with a Renegade kit?? maybe... But then and LS motor would want to produce more HP and I would in turn, want more juice....

The slippery slope is more negotiable in a mid-engine car I've heard.

Is that my new 2.2?
forrestkhaag
And on the cornering issue with the SS, .......the answer is no. It doesn't need a steering rack, control arms, etc. as drag strips are mostly always built as straightaways! poke.gif

beerchug.gif
1stworks
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 4 2015, 02:13 PM) *

And on the cornering issue with the SS, .......the answer is no. It doesn't need a steering rack, control arms, etc. as drag strips are mostly always built as straightaways! poke.gif

beerchug.gif

Only if you don't know what you're doing .
bootyshake.gif

http://youtu.be/neZ5QuZxFR4
Dave_Darling
That one had a Mendy box in it. Tube frame, I believe, as well.

--DD
whitetwinturbo
Jeez.......I wub.gif Chevelles BUT who doesn't love big honking drain pipes attached to a lump beer.gif ?
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.