Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 914s of all time?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Stacks914
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Aug 5 2015, 02:31 PM) *

I have been for fortunate enough to see that one run... I say you go with the top 10 scenarios that the 914 under dog beat big boar guys!

Click to view attachment

Yes
EdwardBlume
This one is pretty special given point A to point B, and the outcome.... SocalAndy
URY914
The Altec Lancing car is nice and very well known but it didn't win a race.
jt914-6
I think the top 914 in my mind was the #40 Le Mans class winning car and next is Walt Mass's IMSA winning 914......My $.02......
mepstein
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 6 2015, 06:35 AM) *

This one is pretty special given point A to point B, and the outcome.... SocalAndy

I agree. Andy transformed that car from junk to jewel.
mepstein
QUOTE(72 IXXIV @ Aug 6 2015, 12:42 AM) *

I thought that the 914-8 had double headlights...

There were 2. The red car was modified even more than the silver.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 5 2015, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2015, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 5 2015, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 06:41 AM) *

The best 914...EVER, EVER... idea.gif

Click to view attachment

How come we don't see any tribute cars to this one? Lots of GT tributes, but none of this one.

I had planned to do one without the flat 8 but ended up with a flared shell. I am still looking for a car to do the tribute. Cosmetic only, no way am I in a position to do the engine.

I have a spotless (almost) silver '72 if you want to do a tribute car. :-) I have a 2 car garage, and 3 cars. One will have to go eventually.

Your silver car is too nice to modify.
Cairo94507
Paul's car is a definite candidate:
IPB Image
[/quote]
Cairo94507
SoCalAndy's car is another top candidate.

Cairo94507
Limiting it to the top 10 maybe tough....
tp_reading
Click to view attachment

I think I might be in with a shout ! I am the proud owner of this 914-6.
1974 2.0, road car until 1984, then raced by some top drivers including Rick Fairbanks, Chuck Piazza, Andy McNeil and John Forbes. A whole string of victories over the years, and now in England where the car is being prepared for 2016 Historics season. Still on the track and been used in anger for over 30 years.
iamchappy
first.gif
StratPlayer
Chappy that is one beautiful car.... beerchug.gif
Andyrew
If you delve into conversions then I suggest grabbing Neo914 (Felix)'s car... Im sure you all are familiar with the build.
Kansas 914

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:47 PM) *

I'd nominate the humble little '73 1.7 named Buttercup. Not only does it represent the essence of the 914 concept, but it also represents the best of the 914 community and the way the cars and the people are connected.

Click to view attachment

agree.gif
Kansas 914
I would further nominate The Alien completed and driven all over the country by Rick Ollah.

Any poll done on 914World wouldn't be complete without a Porsche 914 powered by a Porsche V8.

Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
Since they are both from MN and have some spectacular 914s, I too would nominate both Chappy and Rick! Maybe I'll meet them sometime and see their cars with my own eyes!
Porschef
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 6 2015, 07:25 PM) *

Since they are both from MN and have some spectacular 914s, I too would nominate both Chappy and Rick! Maybe I'll meet them sometime and see their cars with my own eyes!

agree.gif

Chappy's... drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif beer.gif

Rick's... drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif beer.gif

Both outstanding vehicles, displaying great imagination. Both owned by active forum members, cars that are driven, enjoyed, and, most importantly, tangible.

Ain't that what it's all about?
EdwardBlume
Too 5 is definitely not enough.
AlanG
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 5 2015, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 5 2015, 09:41 AM) *

The best 914...EVER, EVER... idea.gif

Click to view attachment

agree.gif blows away everything else. The ultimate sleeper 914

agree.gif
stevegm
We are thinking Top 14. The best, of the best, coolest, most well known. Whatever "best" means to you.
Cal
GINTHER RACING PORSCHE 914-4

Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 6 2015, 08:04 PM) *

agree.gif

I was going to add Ginther's car if someone else didn't. Any 914 that get a scale model produced needs to be reckoned with. All anyone has to say is "Ginther Windscreen" and you know exactly what they are talking about.

Besides being a great driver (along side the likes of Phil Hill) he is probably most noted for his time in a 914.
Cal
Troutman 914-6 GT Pick-Up Truck
boxstr
Blackula
Cal
1972 Porsche 916

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9iz3UXSiL0

914_teener
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 6 2015, 07:04 PM) *

agree.gif

I saw this car at the last Rennsport.

Amazing race for a -4 and a great car owned and operated by some great folks.

I am glad somebody else brought it up.
URY914
The World's Lightest! smile.gif
jt914-6
I'm not nominating my 914-6 3.0RS conversion, but I am proud of it. Something I always wanted to build. Full cage, fuel cell, pretty much a street legal race car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stevegm
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 6 2015, 10:13 PM) *

Troutman 914-6 GT Pick-Up Truck

I saw it at Amelia this year. Neat car.
ripper911
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 7 2015, 06:30 AM) *

We'll need a picture or two.
poke.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 6 2015, 10:07 PM) *

Any 914 that get a scale model produced needs to be reckoned with.

biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Aug 8 2015, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Aug 6 2015, 10:07 PM) *

Any 914 that get a scale model produced needs to be reckoned with.

biggrin.gif

smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Aug 8 2015, 03:53 PM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 7 2015, 06:30 AM) *

We'll need a picture or two.
poke.gif

Kinda doubt if I'll make the list. I can't even get a car of the month vote. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 6 2015, 10:04 PM) *

I'd like to do a tribute car of that one as well smile.gif
rick 918-S
Too many ways to address the best of all time. The most well known? The most perfect resto, the best unrestored car, the most documented reliable cars, The best conversion cars, the best race cars. The list could go on. Personally I have a fondness for a couple cars. One yet to be completed, one that until just recently was not well know and one that needs a complete makeover due to many punishing road trips across the country from shore to shore. None are "famous:" as in celebrity famous. Just cars the I really like.
EdwardBlume
agree.gif agree.gif

Too many cars, too many categories. All awesome.
stevegm
"Best of" stories are always fraught with such issues. But they are still worthwhile and fun. It is interesting to see everyone's take on it.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 9 2015, 08:51 AM) *

"Best of" stories are always drought with such issues. But they are still worthwhile and fun. It is interesting to see everyone's take on it.

Perhaps spread over several issues with categories similar to 914 events (Best Original, Best Custom, Best Track Car etc.).

stevegm
Please keep nominating cars.

We decided to split this article into two parts:

First, there will be a 914 Experts panel that votes on the "Best 14 914s of All Time." I guess what we mean by this is the cars that defined the 914's legacy, shaped its image, contributed to what it is today, or became so ingrained as what a 914 is that these cars come to mind when you think of the Best 914s of all time. They can be race cars, street cars, modified, or stock.

Second, we are going to do a "People's Choice Top 14" vote on 914world. Again these will include race cars, street cars, modified, or stock.

We are working on forming the panel now (I think you will agree with the panel we have in mind). Nominations will continue for a couple more weeks. Then we will do the "People's Choice" Poll, and panel vote.
TJB/914
QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 10 2015, 08:11 PM) *

First, there will be a 914 Experts panel that votes on the "Best 14 914s of All Time." I guess what we mean by this is the cars that defined the 914's legacy, shaped its image, contributed to what it is today, or became so ingrained as what a 914 is that these cars come to mind when you think of the Best 914s of all time. They can be race cars, street cars, modified, or stock.

Second, we are going to do a "People's Choice Top 14" vote on 914world. Again these will include race cars, street cars, modified, or stock.

We are working on forming the panel now (I think you will agree with the panel we have in mind). Nominations will continue for a couple more weeks. Then we will do the "People's Choice" Poll, and panel vote.

Hi Steve,
I don't like "politics" and where this is going. Be happy with the ebb & flow of interest in 914 in general. stirthepot.gif So much 914 material we don't need a panel group of experts with their choices, it makes enemies in the ranks.
My opinion. idea.gif
BTW: I didn't receive my 2nd issue.
Tom
stevegm
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Aug 10 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(stevegm @ Aug 10 2015, 08:11 PM) *

Hi Steve,
I don't like "politics" and where this is going. Be happy with the ebb & flow of interest in 914 in general. stirthepot.gif So much 914 material we don't need a panel group of experts with their choices, it makes enemies in the ranks.
My opinion. idea.gif
BTW: I didn't receive my 2nd issue.
Tom

Hi Tom,

Actually, it was the politics that we were trying to avoid. We want to write an article that spans the decades of 914 history, and reaches out beyond 914world to include others that aren't necessarily heavily involved in 914world. I don't think it will stir any pots. The voting will be blind, and who voted for what won't be published. I didn't mean to make this complicated. Just a good "Best of All Time" article.

PM me your last name and I will check. The last one mailed weeks ago. So, I will check and then mail you a copy tomorrow.
HAM Inc
The Wayne Baker 914/4 IMSA GTU that won at Sear Point in 81 is worthy of consideration IMO.

IPB Image
VegasRacer
Max Moritz.
dlkawashima
First production 914-6 ...
IPB Image

First production 914-4 ...
Click to view attachment
URY914
This is getting stupid.

How about most rusted 914?

Most bondo on a 914?

Worst body kit on a 914?

Just make a list of the ones YOU think are best and everyone will flame your list and it will keep us entertained for weeks.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 11 2015, 05:44 PM) *

... everyone will flame your list and it will keep us entertained for weeks.

Pretty sure that'll happen no matter who picks the cars.
CodyBFR
To start with, this is Cody; I figure we should make a new account for the shop itself, but since this one has some post history I'll use it for now ;-).

I might be a bit biased, but I've got to throw the Garage Karthaüser / Black Forest Racing green and orange 914-6 in the mix. It's probably the most successful yet unheard of 914 race car in history. The car was originally built into a race car by none other than Kremer Racing... you know, the multiple-LeMans-Winning-Team that built most of the 935's, the 1981 917, and many of the 962's among a series of thier own branded cars. The car was sold to Michael and Reinhold Karthaüser in early 1971 and began it's racing career doing a handful of GT races at Spa-Francorchamps and Nurburgring, but mostly ran hill climbs in Belgium and western Germany. In it's original career under Karthaüser it won at least 25 races (we have the results sheets), but we know there were more that we don't have hard record of. My father bought the car in 1988 and began racing it two weeks later. With my father driving the car it continued winning races. I'm still looking for better records, but it looks like the number will be well over 100 race wins. It even went pro-racing again in the early 2000's with a startup series called ARL where the car won a few races overall and took the inaugural championship with my father and Joe Cogbill driving and beating Randy Pobst, Michael Galotti, and other future World Challenge drivers and teams. In 2003 the car was crashed badly by a co-driver at The Walter Mitty Challenge (while leading for the record) and the wreck was put in storage for a decade. Two years ago my father decided he had been out of racing long enough and re-tubbed the car to bring it back to life. Since September of last year I have shared the car with him at a few events and won 9 out of 10 races entered (finished 3rd at Indianapolis this summer).

The Sonauto car only did well in one race, while a great achievement to finish where it did at Le Mans it did nothing else ever. The Brumos / Peter Gregg car had a way better original pro career, but was also then subjected to a mostly dormant life until it started vintage racing in the late 80's... where it was regularly beaten by our car ;-). The Automotion / Garettson car (which we maintained for 15 years) is another with one or two great years, but then it's been collecting dust since we stopped racing it in about 1992 (and before about 1987).

1971 @ Tros Marets (1st place finish securing the 1971 Hillclimb Championship)
IPB Image

1975 Publicity Photoshoot for Coca-Cola whom sponsored the car for a few years:
IPB Image

1976 when it was put in it's current color scheme:
IPB Image

1988 St. Petersburg Grand Prix:
IPB Image

About 1998 at Daytona pulling away from Hurley Haywood in Brumos' other 914-6:
IPB Image

2000-ish @ Moroso (now Palm Beach International Raceway):
IPB Image

2015 with me driving at Indy:
IPB Image

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Welcome, and cool info on that car.
I love the original hood tie-downs and that S-look front valance in the St. Pete photo
CodyBFR
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Aug 17 2015, 02:27 PM) *

Welcome, and cool info on that car.
I love the original hood tie-downs and that S-look front valance in the St. Pete photo

Yeah I kinda miss the original hood tie downs, but the pins are so much safer for the speeds we hit these days. The roof once came off at Daytona once which was 'exciting' to say the least! We've got original style rubber ones on the back though.

That actually is a real 911S front valance which it raced with from roughly '73-88 until my father decided he didn't like it and went back to an original 914 valence. We fully intend to fix the original chassis, transfer all the original parts back over to it, and make the current chassis a replica. When we do that it will go back to the mid-70's spec. We've got all of the original parts down to the Belgian fire extinguisher that was bolted to the passenger floor and even the original door glass and door panels survived the crash.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.