Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Install Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iiibdsiil
Okay, I did a search, didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Not this weekend, but hopefully the following I will be putting my transmission back in my car.

I didn't pull the motor, which was all I found in the search. So, what's the best way to put the trans back in?

Should I level the car on the jackstands, or just raise the rear? How am I going to support the trans on the jack? I had fun taking it out. (Said a prayer and hoped it didn't fall, was ready to move out at a moments notice.)

Any pictures of a transmission jig for a jack? Maybe ideas to build one out of wood? I would go and take measurements and try to figure something out, but the car and trans are like 200 miles from me, plus the trans is still in peices.

I still have not figured out what axles I have, so I am just going to drop them off to get rebuilt, and when they ask what they are from, I am going to go "You're the expert" I found pictures of a bus CV joint, and I think that is what it is, because the picture of the 911 one wasn't it for sure. And it is bigger than the 914 one for sure.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Gotta go to the Bird Board for some advice on the ECU now.
Ctrout
I can't claim to be the biggest or strongest in this group (5'8" 165lbs) but I just balanced mine on my chest and slid myself under the car and bench pressed it into place. (I'm probably not the smartest here either.) Wasn't that hard. I have the advantage of regularly pressing Aim-9 missiles up to the launchers under the F-15E wing too which may account for my super-human feat of strength.
JB 914
just did this last weekend. you need two people to do it safely.

we just put it on the jack and rolled it in place and lifted it up to about even with the engine.

Mine was going into a V-8 and the adapter has one bolt by the starter that we just slid it onto and the rest was just putting the bolts in and wrenchin.

It was not too bad with two people. would not even try it alone.
sj914
I balanced the engine and tranny on my jack and just lifted it up into position.
TheCabinetmaker
sj914 nailed it! It ain't that heavy. Insert the pilot tool, place tranni on jack, jack it up, stab it in!!! Done deal!!!
MattR
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Feb 28 2005, 05:12 PM)
just did this last weekend. you need two people to do it safely.

we just put it on the jack and rolled it in place and lifted it up to about even with the engine.

Mine was going into a V-8 and the adapter has one bolt by the starter that we just slid it onto and the rest was just putting the bolts in and wrenchin.

It was not too bad with two people. would not even try it alone.

Yep. I was the second person. The ass end was up with 2 jackstands, one jack held the engine up, and another jack hoisted the trans up. Just get the tranny studs in the trans first, then get the main shaft in. If the main shaft doesnt go in right away the splines may not be lined up, you might have to rotate the output shafts (where the CVs go) to get the splines to match, and it should slip in. Make sure to install gaskets on the CV joints biggrin.gif

The second person helps with balance. Basically one person balances it on the jack while the second lines everything up. You may also be able to replace the second person with a piece of wood or something flat for balance.
aircooledboy
Trans only weighs 90 lbs, so its not too tough. Just be careful not to let the weight of the trans hang on the input shaft while you move it around to coax it in.
iiibdsiil
Thanks guys. I forgot about the stud that I have on the engine case.

I will definitely have my bitc... er I mean good friend help me. Heh, he usually ends up doing most of the work. biggrin.gif Usually gets frustrated because I am like "It's too heavy" and goes "Man, get out of the way" Works every time!

Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.