Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Putting old brake pads back in
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
I took my driver side rear brake pads out to check if the rotor was warped. If I want to drive the car 'as is' until I have a chance to get them machined, do I need to adjust the pistons for clearance when I put the old pads back in?

Excuse my ignorance on this, it's all completely new to me.
BeatNavy
I think it's a always a good idea, or maybe even just plain necessary, to check brake venting clearance after working on the rear brakes. It's not that hard. Here's a good reference:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625
john77
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 12 2015, 04:34 PM) *

I think it's a always a good idea, or maybe even just plain necessary, to check brake venting clearance after working on the rear brakes. It's not that hard. Here's a good reference:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625

Thanks Rob.
john77
Okay, now I'm confused, these aren't the same brake calipers as in Eric's article. There's a raised logo that kind of looks similar and P67 stamped on them. Anyone know what they're off?

IPB Image
914Sixer
Bolt pattern please. 3" or 3.5" ?
john77
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 12 2015, 06:32 PM) *

Bolt pattern please. 3" or 3.5" ?

3"
Eric_Shea
Those are 911 rear M-Calipers with 10mm spacers and vented rotors. You probably no longer have a handbrake.
john77
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 12 2015, 06:55 PM) *

Those are 911 rear M-Calipers with 10mm spacers and vented rotors. You probably no longer have a handbrake.

Thanks Eric. Nope, no handbrake.

Just pulled my copy of 101 Projects off the shelf to see if that could help and noticed they're exactly the same as the ones in the project...

So the pistons don't need to be messed with to give the pads clearance on these? I checked on my passenger side rear and the pads are flat against the rotor with no clearance at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.