Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Does anyone have one of these I could buy from you (paypal) and have it shipped to my place quickly? or compufire....i honestly don't know which is better...or are they the same?
scotty914
i would bet pp would get it out today, or you local vw shop would have it
mightyohm
Pelican Parts sells them.
Cap'n Krusty
Sorry, I dumped the trash ............................... I'd use a Compufire, were it my car, or a Crane Allison, ehich I've been selling for years. The Cap'n
bd1308
no VW shops in Bowling Green, and the VW guy in Louisville likes using points. Go figure
mightyohm
Pelican parts sells them.
mightyohm
PS: Politely ignore the crowd that tells you YOU WILL DIE if you use a Pertronix, they work fine. You might be asking for trouble if you leave the key on with the car not running, but that is the case with points also.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 1 2005, 01:29 PM)
Does anyone have one of these I could buy from you (paypal) and have it shipped to my place quickly? or compufire....i honestly don't know which is better...or are they the same?

Uh oh. I wondered when we'd see this post. laugh.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
bd1308
i'm just kinda gettign sick of the whole points crap every other day......I am goign to hobble, pop, and ping my over to sears to get a 10mm wrench then i am goign to time my car ONE MORE TIME. If it doesnt stay for more than a week, i'm through with points.
rhodyguy
make sure you have the correct coil with the right internal resistance before you burn up the points replacement. what is the problem? hard to get the dwell right? point relacment isn't going to help if the distributor is shot.

k
bd1308
yeah i think the dizzy is shot....but i dont remembering it swaying side to side. My feeling is that the little pill thing with grease just doesnt cut it....i'm going to try to time it one more time (with BOSCH dizzy grease) b4 i just rig it so it works. First time i set dwell...i put the points closed at the flat part of the lobe....ran surprisingly well too! I'm learning as i go along, last thing i had was a Jeep.
anthony
My car ran way better after I cleaned and lubed my distributor. I had the same problem with wandering timing and dwell.
bd1308
so anthony let me ask you this then....if i go and take my dizzy out and clean it in my dorm....how hard is it to put back in? do i have to find TDC and push it for a mile and buy a voodoo doll in the shape of a 914 or what?
Joe Ricard
After you get the "Jesus" clip off it is all down hill.. Why the name for the clip? Because when it goes flying off the shaft you say "Jesus where'd that go"?
It would be cheaper to buy my Vaccum advance/ retard unit with FI points already rebuilt. PM me and I'll hook you up. Unlike the relays you want this one working right?
anthony
Removing and reinstalling the dizzy is really easy if you set it to TDC ahead of time. I didn't find taking the dizzy apart and putting it back together that hard but getting the advance weights right was a little tricky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.