Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 cylinder oil scavenge line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
Quick question for those of you running heat exchangers and an external oil cooler..

What did you do for the oil scavenge line that come out of the passenger side of the engine case? I have an old pipe that someone welded a -12 AN fitting to, however it was pinched long before I ever came across the engine, and I'm looking for an alternative.

Patrick motorsports sells a line than looks exactly like mine for $160 (option 1)

My other thought was to run an AN line off the case to my thermostat at the firewall, however I don't know if there is sufficient room for this line to fit with heat exchangers and the heater boxes.

So, what have some of you done that are in this situation? I would much rather build a line myself with AN fittings than blow a bunch of cash on a rather simple oil pipe from PMS..

'73-914kid
IPB Image

This is the patr from Patrick Motorsports
CodyBFR
It's really tough to get an AN all the way from the engine without it touching things you don't want it to. I like the Patrick part. That same part can be made by cutting up that pipe from a 2.7l 911 engine. The 2.7l 911 pipe makes a 90 degree turn and goes across the front of the engine then another 90 by the lower valve cover on what in a 914 would be the drivers side. You can cut it any place that's most appropriate for your particular line routing and weld on the right AN fitting.

IPB Image

$30 brand new from Pelican.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2533%2529%2520
(If the link doesnt work look for part# 911-107-741-11-M260)
I have an unused -6 OEM line. If interested, pm me. Local pick up in Baldwin Park or Duarte.
Steve
I'm also running the Patrick line. Been running it for over 20 years.
patssle
I cut the stock hard line that comes with the 6 engine and had -12 AN bung welded to it.
porschetub
QUOTE(JohnBFR @ Aug 19 2015, 10:41 AM) *

It's really tough to get an AN all the way from the engine without it touching things you don't want it to. I like the Patrick part. That same part can be made by cutting up that pipe from a 2.7l 911 engine. The 2.7l 911 pipe makes a 90 degree turn and goes across the front of the engine then another 90 by the lower valve cover on what in a 914 would be the drivers side. You can cut it any place that's most appropriate for your particular line routing and weld on the right AN fitting.

IPB Image

$30 brand new from Pelican.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...%2533%2529%2520
(If the link doesnt work look for part# 911-107-741-11-M260)

Did the same thing with the pipe from Pelican but had to buy case adaptor fitting male/female from Elephant Racing,still cheaper than PMS part.
I'am using all metric Cohline fitting ,but you could weld a AN adaptor as mentioned.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I've used a metric AN adapter fitting that screwed right into the case. You take off the metric oil pipe fitting that's in the case, then you can use a AN 90* fitting and route a flexible oil line toward the rear of the car and away from the heat exchangers.
bob
The Patrick Oil Pressure return line doesn't fit with stock 914-6 heat exchangers... it rubs the box and I didnt want to bang a dent into my NOS pair... so I cut a stock line like the poster above and welded on an -12AN fitting as well... (I have a couple of extras if anyone needs one)

-bob
'73-914kid
All very good advice from the group. Question though.. Steve, you say the PMS line fits no problem with your heat exchangers, and someone else says it doesn't fit.. I was going to just order the PMS part so I didn't have to worry about welding on a fitting, but now there is some concern..

Can anyone else either confirm or deny that this line works with factory heat exchangers?
CodyBFR
We have an original 914-6 line that we could sell and could weld on whatever size AN you need.
worn
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl Clone @ Aug 19 2015, 05:30 AM) *

I've used a metric AN adapter fitting that screwed right into the case. You take off the metric oil pipe fitting that's in the case, then you can use a AN 90* fitting and route a flexible oil line toward the rear of the car and away from the heat exchangers.

Just fitted same except I used the 120 degree elbow to move the hose close to the case. Thermostat is on the firewall. But I am running headers presently.
Steve
It is pretty crowded with the heat exchangers, but never had a problem with the PMS line.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.