Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black painted trim areas...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Hi all
so...I am officially the PCA 914 Registry Advocate - supposedly meaning that I'm an expert in 914's...but really meaning that I was the one crazy enough to volunteer and take the job! That said, I am now the person that gets all the 914 questions that go to the PCA National office, or from people who find me on the PCA website...

As most of you know, I am FAR from an expert in 914's...especially when it comes to stock or originality. Though it has been said that our 914's are very close to stock blink.gif , I am not much of authenticity/historian type of person...

So, I am asking the 914World brain trust (and directing most people that ask me questions to ask here too)....is there a specific color code or paint that should be used for restoring the black painted bumpers, engine deck lid grating and rocker panels? I had a gentleman ask me that, and I have no idea.... He's doing a full restoration and would like to get it right.

Thoughts? Opinions? actual knowledge??

Thank you!!
mepstein
Talk to scotty b. He really knows the details. Not just internet lore and hearsay.
Steve Snyder
I believe black trim was originally a semi-gloss (30%) black. It only looks flat or matte now due to 40+ years of weathering. biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 20 2015, 06:32 AM) *

So, I am asking the 914World brain trust (and directing most people that ask me questions to ask here too)....is there a specific color code or paint that should be used for restoring the black painted bumpers, engine deck lid grating and rocker panels? I had a gentleman ask me that, and I have no idea.... He's doing a full restoration and would like to get it right.

There is black paint under the engine grille (and under the small grilles next to the lid on the body) that is flat black. Most times I have seen this re-painted satin or semi-gloss like the grille but in my opinion it should be flat black. My early '72 looked like it was brushed on even had a run or two in it.

Interested to see what Scotty B says - he would know.
Dave_Darling
At least the rocker panels and such should be semi-gloss. IIRC, the stuff under the engine lid panels was some very thick stuff just gooped on with a brush; not sure if it was flat or semi.

I remember the bumpers on my 1.8 being flat, but that could have been decades of sun exposure at work.

--DD
johnhora
Bob...

Seems like some have used the Wurth Spray Paint product line...
Stoddards and others sell this for the early 356 and 911 group...
They call theirs a Satin and Matte finish...
toolguy
SEM Products - Trim Black
Part Number: 39143

available at parts supply stores in aerosol or liquid
Geezer914
Rust-Oleum Satin Black. I use that shit on everything. piratenanner.gif
Tom_T
It's actually a Satin finish - between Flat & Semi-gloss.

In addition to Dave's SEM paint, there is also a Wurth Satin Black that John mentioned, Eastwood's version, & some other satin blacks which are close to original, if he's doing a self-resto paint.

PS - I've also used Geezers' recco'ed Rust-Oleum Satin Black on my 88 Westy, 85 BMW 325e, son's 88 Honda Civic, etc. - which is fine for DD cars & close but not 9 or 10:10 restos - but I don't like the way they get a white oxidation on them within a year or 2 in sunlight, & they also tend to chip more easily on road grit facing items such as the wiper arms.

Most are having to find the formula & have it custom mixed to get exact, if that's what he wants. It was the same satin black as used on the 911/912E black-out grill material too, so a shop doing high quality restos of them would have a line on a contemporary paint which they use (have him/her go to some local PCA Concours & ask where owners have taken their 911/912/914s for restos if they look good).

PPG has a classic section on their website which has most/many of the original mixtures for both trim & main body color paints. There are also some on the Glasurit website (they're a subsidiary of another paint co. now), & both have satin black trim paints in "professional quantities" that are close to the original.

But some codes are not translatable without the original paint makers' materials & tints, so the other option is to have an auto paint supplier "shoot" an unexposed area to get their paint codes to get a match (e.g.: on the engine grill's edge under the lip of the engine lid where it's held in - although that still will have +/-40 years of heat & air oxidation).

The 74-76 914's black bumpers' were the same Satin Black as used on the F & R Valences & Rockers (also on the black-out trim at the sails/rollbar & targa top) with the splatter-shot of VW-Porsche's undercoating material to get that "heavy eggshell" texture (same undercoating as used under the body color paint in the wheel wells & underbody before the body color was shot), then the satin black.

However, the engine grill has no such texture coating, but the parts can & should all be shot as a group to get a good match throughout.

There used to be a factory paint manual the dealers had for "proper factory specification body damage repairs" or some wording like that, which had that & much more info., & would be great to have & reproduce for all - if one could be unearthed. It may

It will depend on how exacting a resto your guys is trying for, & whether he's doing the paint work or his shop.

You might want to post this on the O&H Forum to get some of the other Oldtimer gurus like Pat G. to chime in on their secret formulas & paints, & for other of these types of originality & recreation of same questions.

BTW - most of the targa tops get painted with too much gloss/semi-gloss than was original, &/or they get worn smoother than original ver the years of washing & prepping (same but not as often with rockers, valences, bumpers, engine grills, etc.)

Good on ya for volunteering! smilie_pokal.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Ed_Turbo
Ok so I am doing my research and resurrecting this thread to find out the most accurate and best satin black to re-paint battery hold down, gas tank hold down, fuse panel,etc. and basically all that stuff that has that semi gloss finish.

Wurth?
Eastwood? 25-35% gloss
SEM? This is more of a flat black though.

What do you think is the most accurate satin black @tom_t ?

-Ed
Specracer
Deleted
Mikey914
We actually made this quite easy. We took factory pieces that were NOS and matched the paint.

Available in the large or small can (Ground shipment only)

6 or 16 oz

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/e...tin-black-paint

We also did the same for the headlight housings and the intake paint

Tom_T
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 19 2019, 10:00 PM) *

Ok so I am doing my research and resurrecting this thread to find out the most accurate and best satin black to re-paint battery hold down, gas tank hold down, fuse panel,etc. and basically all that stuff that has that semi gloss finish.

Wurth?
Eastwood? 25-25% gloss
SEM? This is more of a flat black though.

What do you think is the most accurate satin black @tom_t ?

-Ed

Ed -

I'm not sure that anything is a perfect match nowadays, what with air & carcinogen etc. regulations & all changing the paints - as well as the years changing the original stuff with aging.

If you're CW about it, then the Body volume of the 8 binder 914 factory repair manuals lists the various paint types, including the satin black, which may be able to be matched by PPG, Dupont, Glasurit, etc. at a good pro auto paint supply shop for the most exact match. Get enough to do everything in satin black that you'll need (air boxes, engine tins, etc. are all in it too), since it's a custom match.

It seems to me that there was another paint maker than the 3 you mentioned as another option, but I'm blanking on their name.

I'd go with either the Wurth because they have in the past worked with Porsche Classics to match the "exhaust gray" & other colors (also with VW) -

or go with the SEM because Dave W./toolguy really knows his resto stuff, & his -6 was a regular winner (it's sold now).

Those are both passable for CW concours use too.

Also, VW Resto suppliers like Wolfsburg West sell some color matched VW paints which might be a good color match, but their stock is a moving target, so I don't know what they have on hand. IIRC the Karmann plant was also building the VW Beetle Cabrios &/or Ghias in `69-76 as well, so they'd have used the same paints for them & 914s. So it would be good for CW also.

Lastly, although I'm not a general fan for Rustoleum in general for the exposed areas (due to some paint failures on my other 2 cars), it is good for rust prone uses, such as battery hold-downs, fuel tank straps, etc. - but may not be an exact match to the parts still in original satin black. It will give you good rust protection from battery acid, etc. - vs. standard paint.

In any case, get some of your best candidates & test spray some to compare to the original satin (which will have faded & aged some from original days), because their paint formulations will have changed often - even since when this thread was started - especially here in SoCal where CARB regulations force the changes.

It all depends on how anal CW you want to be.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
On my decklid
DRPHIL914
"Hi all
so...I am officially the PCA 914 Registry Advocate '

so maybe you can explain the PCNAs decision to set up a
"914 50th celebration" with out even discussing it in any way shape or form
with the 914 community at large?? - ie thru our PCA chapters, the club, world etc
and thru you if you are the 914registry contact?
poke.gif

curious if they did reach out - because I called both the PCA, emailed Vu Nguyen, and called PCNA-------- crickets confused24.gif

stirthepot.gif just stirring the pot to add to the excitement.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
semi gloss wurth trim paint for the rockers bumpers and valances, semi gloss regular paint for the engine lid grille, flat black under the three engine lid grilles

Any time you have a question I am always here for an answer, have been around these cars in since 1974 so should know them well by now but always keep my ear open

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 20 2015, 05:32 AM) *

Hi all
so...I am officially the PCA 914 Registry Advocate - supposedly meaning that I'm an expert in 914's...but really meaning that I was the one crazy enough to volunteer and take the job! That said, I am now the person that gets all the 914 questions that go to the PCA National office, or from people who find me on the PCA website...

As most of you know, I am FAR from an expert in 914's...especially when it comes to stock or originality. Though it has been said that our 914's are very close to stock blink.gif , I am not much of authenticity/historian type of person...

Thoughts? Opinions? actual knowledge??

Thank you!!

yeahmag
I used the SEM Trim Black too. I think it even comes in a 2K can. Click to view attachment
Olympic 914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 20 2019, 05:33 PM) *

I used the SEM Trim Black too. I think it even comes in a 2K can

Another vote for the SEM trim black , But I used the EURO Trim black... Cause ya know we're Euro an all that...

Click to view attachment
Ed_Turbo
Yeah @tom_t I hear you about the new paints and regulations. I know all about the change in hue. If I am going to re-paint the satin-black pieces then I want to do it right.

@Olympic 914 I think euro black is discontinued, but I bet there are shops and people that have a box lying around. Finish looks good dude flag.gif

Thanks @dr914@autoatlanta.com beerchug.gif

I like the nozzle option @Mikey914 . Much easier to get a good coat and less fatigue on the finger.

Wurth is a good option. I know the VW/Porsche market uses those products.

Decisions decisions! idea.gif

-Ed
Literati914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 20 2019, 04:33 PM) *

I used the SEM Trim Black too. I think it even comes in a 2K can. ..

Would this not be an appropriate choice for the A-arms, trailing arms, Fuel tank, etc too - as an alternative to powder coating ? I'm not CW, but would like to use something pretty close to original.

DickSteinkamp
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 21 2019, 06:16 AM) *

Would this not be an appropriate choice for the A-arms, trailing arms, Fuel tank, etc too - as an alternative to powder coating ? I'm not CW, but would like to use something pretty close to original.

No 2K for SEM Trim Black...

It's mixed 1/1 with a good urethane reducer only.

I used it on my rocker covers, valences, engine lid mesh, targa top. It goes on quite nice with an HVLP gun. Durable (so far).

I used their Color Coat (also available in aerosol cans) to freshen up the sail panels and some interior parts (including the dash).

Both blacks match.

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you are looking for bone stock original, this may or may not be it. I don't know (and don't care too much smile.gif ). My guess is that if you talk to 10 914 experts, you'll get 11 answers on what shade of black and what sheen was stock.

bbrock
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 21 2019, 07:16 AM) *

I found the suspension stuff a bit more glossy than the SEM Trim Black which is a satin. I used VHT Rollbar and Chassis paint gloss black for my suspension stuff. It says gloss but is more of a semigloss that matched the protected remnants of the original chassis paint pretty well. It is quite a bit cheaper than SEM too. Can't say how it will hold up but reviews are good.
yeahmag
QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Aug 21 2019, 06:46 AM) *

Brain fade... It's the SprayMax line I was using. Comes in 1K and 2K.
mb911
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Aug 21 2019, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Aug 21 2019, 06:46 AM) *

Brain fade... It's the SprayMax line I was using. Comes in 1K and 2K.

Spraymax is awesome.. Much nicer then SEM..
Literati914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 20 2019, 07:30 PM) *

Another vote for the SEM trim black , But I used the EURO Trim black... Cause ya know we're Euro an all that...

Click to view attachment

Hey Olympic, that's honestly the best looking painted bumpers I've seen, the sheen looks perfect to my eye. Any idea where to get the Euro Jet Black in quarts?
Literati914

Click to view attachment

Hey Olympic, that's honestly the best looking painted bumpers I've seen, the sheen looks perfect to my eye. Any idea where to get the Euro Jet Black in quarts?

Olympic 914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Aug 23 2019, 01:17 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately it looks like SEM discontinued the Euro trim black in 2018. I still have a little left for touch-ups.

SPI has a single stage black satin that might work for you, I think you can adjust the mix to get whatever amount of satin / matte you want. I considered this when I painted mine. But went for the SEM because it was easier.
doug_b_928
I called SEM about this earlier this summer. The rep said that "Trim Black Ultra Satin" is the new name but the same thing/look.
Literati914
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Aug 23 2019, 08:08 AM) *

I called SEM about this earlier this summer. The rep said that "Trim Black Ultra Satin" is the new name but the same thing/look.

That's great info you got Doug... unfortunately SEM doesn't see it necessary to make this in a quart size - least I can't find it. $70 for 4 spray cans is on the steep side (who do they think we are - 911 owners?). sigh.. I may have to just bite the bullet tho.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.