Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How hot is the oil at this mark on the gauge?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete000
How hot is the engine oil at this point on the gauge? Stock temp sender and mounting.
MJHanna
Half way between cold and really hot. lol-2.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Aug 20 2015, 10:43 AM) *

Half way between cold and really hot. lol-2.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif

...........touch the glass lol-2.gif ?
screenguy914
QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 20 2015, 10:38 AM) *

How hot is the engine oil at this point on the gauge? Stock temp sender and mounting.

I guess the 914 help desk has spoken. rolleyes.gif

Not familiar with that gauge, but if similar to 911 VDO oil temp gauges, you might look at the vertical side of the gauge at an oblique angle and see numbers that relate to the actual temperature.

But 914 gauges apparently aren't that revealing. Here's a related thread from Pelican Parts forum that might provide more info.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...temp-gauge.html

Sherwood
Steve Snyder
Straight up is 100 degrees Celsius.
Range begins at 30 degrees. Redline begins at 156.7 degrees and ends at 170 degrees.
It's actually marked, but you must disassemble the gauge (including prying off the bezel) to be able to see it. WTF.gif
914Sixer
Just take the 4 screws of the back of the gauge and pull it out. You can see scale. I included a shot of the 911 scale as a reference. My stock 914 temp has been modified to accept a light bulb by using the base of a gas gauge like the factory 911 one has but on the other side.
Steve Snyder
...yeah, was thinking of disassembly of the console temp gauge. Getting old has its drawbacks...
pete000
Thanks for the info!
Firstcar
Answer to OP's Q: About 212 degrees - optimum operating temperature
turk22
Click to view attachment
flipb
QUOTE(turk22 @ Aug 20 2015, 10:07 PM) *

I have a low VIN 1974 2.0 with the early-style guage. Which sender would've been original from factory?
turk22
Flip,

check out this site:

http://www.p914.com/

go to the gauges section, and it should answer your questions.

Turk
r_towle
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Aug 20 2015, 07:26 PM) *

...yeah, was thinking of disassembly of the console temp gauge. Getting old has its drawbacks...

Mark Henry
I wouldn't trust any of this info especially with VDO and who knows if it's even the correct sender.
I'd bench test it with the sender in boiling water, then at least you know exactly where 100C is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.