Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 AX Shootout, Sunday March 20th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Otmar
I am way overworked lately, haven't done diddly on the car, and probably have a battery going out that will show itself after a few runs, but I do have a place to crash in Monterey and there are not nearly enough people on that list!

I think I'll try to make it. biggrin.gif

I hate racing twice without modifying my car in between. sawzall-smiley.gif Especially since I did so poorly last time out (WCC 04)
I can think of two things that I would like to do:
1) De-Camber the rears and toe out the front (not too hard).
2) Get some AX rubber.

Does anyone in central Kalifornia have some 4 bolt AX wheels wth rubber to sell me? confused24.gif
I've got a little cash to throw at it, and not a lot of time, I'd love a bolt on solution even if I have to buy new rubber (does anyone stock decent stuff around here?) I've got no flares, and am running 2.0 mags for my street tires so nothing too wide.
I've got a set of EMPIs but no short bolts to mount them with and I don't like the incorrect offset. Should I even consider making them my track wheels?
When the PO used them he burned the paint off the left fender from rubbing. dry.gif
Trekkor
Who is on the "yes" list?
One week away...

KT
nebreitling
Otmar, if for some reason i can't get my engine together, installed, tuned, and atleast somewhat broken in before next sunday (i should make it, but it's damn tight at this point), then you can use my race-rubber/wheels for a six-pack. even if my car's not done, i'll be down there.

n

dan10101
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Mar 13 2005, 12:32 AM)
Chris Julian is planning to debut his V8 monster. smilie_pokal.gif I can't miss that!

Now that would be worth the price of admission boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...hl=chris+julian

This 4 car garage is going to be nice when it's done, but until then I see 2x4s in my sleep... blink.gif And we're missing all the good stuff.. sad.gif

Otmar
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 13 2005, 05:32 PM)
Otmar, if for some reason i can't get my engine together, installed, tuned, and atleast somewhat broken in before next sunday (i should make it, but it's damn tight at this point), then you can use my race-rubber/wheels for a six-pack.

That's real great of you Nathan.
I'd rather you get your car together in time but if it doesn't happen then you can take a lap or two on your tires in my car . laugh.gif
SilverBullet
You can count Darren and I (Jason) in for this one. See you all there.

driving.gif
Dave_Darling
If I can convince the car to get there, I'll be there!!! laugh.gif I already said I'd be there.

(My attorney is not pleased, though. That's the 1st anniversary of the day we met... I think I need to go buy some flowers & chocolate, or I'll be sleeping on the couch yet again!)

--DD
neo914-6
sleeping on the couch yet again!

laugh.gif
Just tell her you're bringing her to Monterey for dinner with one stop...
nebreitling
laugh.gif that's a good one, felix! smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
Man, that'd be worse than completely ignoring her!! She doesn't like autoXing; she only wants to drive and you don't get much of that at an autoX. If we were running at Seca, that'd probably be regarded as the best anniversary present ever. But she really doesn't like all the standing around we do during an autoX.

Not to mention the whole waking up at 6:30 AM on a Sunday bit. (Hard enough to get her moving at 7:30 on a weekday!!)

--DD
Trekkor
Weatherman says we may have rain. I'm in rain or shine.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 15 2005, 11:04 PM)
Weatherman says we may have rain. I'm in rain or shine.

KT

I'm sorta wimpy when it comes to weather since I have to run with the top off to fit with my helmet. If its sprinkling I'm in. If we are having downpours I'll probably not go.
Dave_Darling
Grant--just take the bottom seat cushion out when you run. It's quick, easy, and it works. It gets you down almost 2" further in the car, and gives you better lateral support!

If you have racing seats, that's another matter. Bolt 'em directly to the floor and get rid of the seat rails and adjusters.

--DD
Trekkor
Grant, I have three thin foam cushions that are perfect to take the place of the stock seat. Already cut to fit wink.gif

First three takers get one. biggrin.gif

Here's mine custom covered compared to a stock cushion.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 16 2005, 03:58 PM)
Grant--just take the bottom seat cushion out when you run. It's quick, easy, and it works. It gets you down almost 2" further in the car, and gives you better lateral support!

If you have racing seats, that's another matter. Bolt 'em directly to the floor and get rid of the seat rails and adjusters.

--DD

laugh.gif I'm talking about not fitting with the seat cushion out. I'm almost 6'4" tall. So I have to keep my head down. It really distracts me from driving fast.
kermit
How about just bringing the Boxster instead?
nebreitling
Grant -- i saw your car today at HPH. looks great with the header (and awesome choice in muffler!). larry did a good job routing the clutch cable around the hot spots...

can't wait to see it in action.
grantsfo
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 16 2005, 08:02 PM)
Grant -- i saw your car today at HPH.  looks great with the header (and awesome choice in muffler!).  larry did a good job routing the clutch cable around the hot spots...

can't wait to see it in action.

Cool! I cant wait to see how it turned out. I have the r compounds and wider wheels ready to go too! My little stock 1.8 needed some help. I may be nipping on heels of the 2.0 prepared cars now on tight courses. ..And if not at least I'll sound cool. driving.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (kermit @ Mar 16 2005, 07:39 PM)
How about just bringing the Boxster instead?

My tires are almost gone on the Boxster and I just dumped a bunch of $$ into the 914. I need a couple of months more out of the S03's. They are so damn expensive to replace.

Actually I could drive my Echo! That car would rock on a wet course with the Falkens I have on it.
AndrewBlyholder
Sorry to disappoint, but I have to bow out, too many other projects on my plate for the weekend. You'll have a great time, Marina's got great grip. I used to get my white car up on two wheels there. That takes a lot of grip to get a 914 healed over that much.

Don't forget to post pictures after for those of us that can't make it!

Andrew
Trekkor
I am really looking foward to this event. April 25th of last year was my first in a bone stock, dead shocked streeter "B" car.

Now, almost a year later, I'm in "FM" and all cocky. chowtime.gif

I can't wait to throttle up through the start lights at 7k rpm's. burnout.gif

Let's have some fun.

KT
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 16 2005, 07:06 PM)
laugh.gif I'm talking about not fitting with the seat cushion out. I'm almost 6'4" tall.

Then cut out all the hinge crap and bracketry and bolt the seat directly to the floor! See Steve Iverson's pics in the "five-point harness" thread.

--DD
GTeener
I'll be there if it rains a lot Saturday night and my prior commitment gets cancelled...
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 17 2005, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 16 2005, 07:06 PM)
laugh.gif I'm talking about not fitting with the seat cushion out.  I'm almost 6'4" tall.

Then cut out all the hinge crap and bracketry and bolt the seat directly to the floor! See Steve Iverson's pics in the "five-point harness" thread.

--DD

Yeah thats what Rich said today at HPH. Thats the only way I'm going to fit with the top on.
Otmar
Bad news,
With way too much work still undone and feeling under the weather it doesn't look like I will be making it after all. Sorry to miss it. sad.gif

Have fun though and take pictures please! smilie_pokal.gif
Trekkor
Rain tires are on. dry.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Mar 18 2005, 09:47 PM)
Rain tires are on. dry.gif

KT

I'll bring my kayak. laugh.gif ...looks like I may have time today to get the Yoko's mounted on my skinny Fuchs. I'll bring the 914 and just pull the top off for runs.

Is there anyone going who would like to take a look at my American racing wheels? I can bring them. I can bring some Falkens that have 50% tread left too if anyone is intersted.
Trekkor
Grant, those Yok's will be perfect on your 914 rims.
I have mine on my 5.5" Pedrini's and it's good.

Nathan, hope you can make it.

I'm going to get trailered up and be outta town within the next hour or two.

The weater look's pretty good right now. The ground is actually dry again, so I'll pack the Hoosiers, too. cool_shades.gif

See ya all at 7:00am or after...slackers! lol2.gif

KT
Chris Julian
Not going to make it. The cars still at Custom Alignment torn apart. Bummer- I was looking forward to this. Good luck with the weather.

Chris

nebreitling
bummer to hear about that, chris. sad.gif

i won't be driving, but i'll be there bright and early to setup the course and give any technical support i can.

cheers, n
nebreitling
For those that missed, it -- the Marina LPR/914club AX was a good time. The weather had been threatening to rain, but we had none, and the course was dry by early in the AM.

I left a little early, so no results yet...

here are some shots from the morning...

weather was beautiful, if a little chilly

nebreitling
off the top of my head, we had about 10+ 914's (but about another 6 of us showed up w/ out cars just to watch).

nebreitling
birgit was a little frustrated in the am -- but she REALLY drove smooth and fast in the pm.
nebreitling
britain flogged the hell out of his early 1.7, and by pm was being really consistent. i was impressed with your driving today, britain

nebreitling
but you're still my bitch. flipa.gif flipa.gif laugh.gif
nebreitling
Dave Darling was there, sans lawyer, driving the hell out of his 2.0 Bi car.
nebreitling
i didn't meet this guy -- someone told me his name, but i forgot it... (sorry, guy).

but he was HELLA fast. i believe he still had the TTOD at the time that i left... nice car, too
nebreitling
and grant did some seriously impressive driving with his 1.8 (equipped with new header and ultra-bite front brake pads that would lock too early... there was another second on the course for him if he could get his bias resolved)
nebreitling
howard yao is just a damn good driver. he could flog a damn horse and carriage around the course faster than most 911's.

proving something to this effect, he brought a stock mercedes on street tires, and promptly showed us that the driver is the most important factor.
nebreitling
i forget this gentleman's name -- nice looking stock car -- but he made some impressive strides throughout the day, and was earning some impressive times when i left.

imagine if he had a swaybar...
nebreitling
trekkor was, of course, out in full force. during lunch, he game me a ride in his /6 conversion. ughhh,,, it's F A S T. maybe not quite scary-fast, but really, really fast. it made me shout like a cowboy a few times.

cam doesn't really come on until about 5k, though -- and then it pulls HARD clear past 7k. keeping those revs high w/ a stock tranny is going to be his season's challenge.

trekkor, re. that noise -- it sounded to me like it could be some baffling in a muffler coming loose.

nice job, trekkor
nebreitling
mo' tk
nebreitling
i've got about 70 other photos if any of you racers want 'em.

hi-res too. email me.
kermit
Nathan, thanks for posting the cool pics. If you have a couple hi-res pics of the 190e, please email them my way.

Like I announced in the trailer today, any 914club members that didn't beat my time - owes me a beer! beer.gif But judging by how well everybody was driving though, I'm not expecting one. We'll see when the results get posted on the LPR site in a few days...

It was funny, I started going faster when I eased off the gas a bit, the rear tires were just spinning out like crazy. I hate street tires! But hydroplaning on the 101 on the way home would have sucked more...

Great meeting a lot of you guys in person today.
McMark
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 20 2005, 06:06 PM)
i forget this gentleman's name -- nice looking stock car -- but he made some impressive strides throughout the day, and was earning some impressive times when i left.

imagine if he had a swaybar...

That looks like Matt (plas76targa)! Nice to see he could make it out. Looks like I got his battery tray welded in just in time. wink.gif
plas76targa
Mark - yep dat was me! Had a blast. The grin is still barely evident 12 hours later!

Nice photo's Nathan. I'd like to see more of #34 if you have any. I'll email you tomorrow from work

I'll add thanks to DD who got me pointed towards the right people to get me set up to start. Add to Randall who rode as my instructor. He set up a fun course too!

I'm hooked. Starting my wish list already!

Matt
Britain Smith
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Mar 20 2005, 06:54 PM)
but you're still my bitch. flipa.gif flipa.gif laugh.gif

That was a fun day...good weather also.

I was able to pull off a 55.9 in my little 1.7L, almost enough to catch Trekkor's top time. It was definitely a course that you could not make any mistakes on.

-Britain
Britain Smith
QUOTE (plas76targa @ Mar 20 2005, 10:36 PM)
Mark - yep dat was me! Had a blast. The grin is still barely evident 12 hours later!

Nice photo's Nathan. I'd like to see more of #34 if you have any. I'll email you tomorrow from work

I'll add thanks to DD who got me pointed towards the right people to get me set up to start. Add to Randall who rode as my instructor. He set up a fun course too!

I'm hooked. Starting my wish list already!

Matt

Hey Matt...I really wanted to meet you. I also drive a bone stock 1.7L, orange, with steel wheels. Well, I put on the fuchs for the events. Anyway, when I started a year ago I had no sway bars either. I have come a long way in a year, but if you need any advice on catching the 2.0L guys with you 1.7L I can help you out.

-Britain
nebreitling
yeah -- all you guys driving less-than-2.0's really kept up the pace today. clap.gif
nebreitling
matt -- i think i've got another 4 or 5 of you...

send me your email address and i'll pass them on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.