Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Well, I've got my engine/tranny in the car and I have successfully started and run it, Woohoo...

Anyway, I would like some pics and/or descriptions of how others have routed the throttle cable up through the engine tin or the engine shelf.

As you can see in the pic, I've got the hex-bar pointing towards the front, with the bracket mounted to the engine.

scruz914
My engine is out right now but I recall that the throttle cable snakes from where it cumes out of the tunnel through the engine tin and into the engine compartment somewhere around where the arrow is pointing.

-Jeff
watsonrx13
Thanks Jeff. I've seen one engine set up that has the cable coming through the engine tin where the fuel pump wires would normally route through, but I thought that would put too much of a twist in the cable.

I'm trying to determine where I need to drill a hole, if it's best to have the cable come through the engine tin or the engine shelf.

Any other opinions and/or pics?
scruz914
I'll take a look at my engine tin tonight and check out where the cable comes through. My recollection is that it comes through the tin in front of and to the side (passenger) of the fan inlet. When I pulled the engine I just grabbed the cable from underneath the car and pulled it out without paying attention to where it is routed.

-Jeff
scruz914
I took a look at the front engine tin and there is no hole where I thought the cable should go through. Nothing in the shelf area at the firewall. I am going to have to put the engine back in and see where I might be able to feed the cable through. I know it went through there somewhere.

I would pick a spot midway between the fan housing and firewall to run the cable to avoid sharp bends. Someone else has to be able to provide a picture for you.

-Jeff
rhodyguy
run the cable through the stock location. right side of the engine tin about as far forward as the front of the battery. what are you going to use to hold the cable?

k
watsonrx13
run the cable through the stock location. right side of the engine tin about as far forward as the front of the battery.

I thought the hole on the right side of the tin was for the fuel pump wires?

what are you going to use to hold the cable?

Do you see the triangle-shaped bracket attached the fan housing, in front of the distributor and next to the coil?
MecGen
Hi
When I get to the shop I can take a pic, it won't get posted till tonite.
I have the hex bar mounted like yours but I had to build a pulley to change the direction of the cable. The sharp curve made the pedal too hard to push.
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
watsonrx13
Thanks Joe, I'll await your reply... smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Rob you should be set up to route your throttle cable just like I did mine. I used my stuff as a model to do yours. However you might not have a hole in the new tin you welded. Let me know I can get you measurements of where the hole should be. Never though that tin would have been such a PITA.
watsonrx13
Joe, that would be great if you could get me the measurements and a pic... biggrin.gif
machina
Mine pulls from the rear. The stock cable was too short and felt tight so Terry Cable made me one 24" longer and now it feels much smoother.
rhcb914
Hi Rob,

Greetings from the snowy northeast....This picture shows the stock location where the thorttle cable comes out. It's the hole just to the left of the battery. Hope this pictures helps you out.

I love the Tampa area! wub.gif My brother lives down there...I have to plan a long weekend to visit him and get some of that warm Florida sun. rolleyes.gif

Good luck with the project!

-Rob
Kargeek
My solution was to point the arms towards the back, use the stock length cable (mine's a Terry cable too) and make a bracket off the right side carb. I routed the cable through factory hole in the engine tin. No problems with the linkage working the carbs evenly either. DH
watsonrx13
Gentlemen, thank you very much for your assistance.

Rob, that's exactly the pic I was looking for, the hole in the tin appears to have both the fuel pump wires and the throttle cable.

You guys are great.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.