Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas pouring out of this hole. what's missing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Was driving along today and started smelling gas. Good thing I pulled over right away cause gas was gushing out of the hole circled in yellow. It's a Weber 44 IDF. Looks like a screw or plug is missing, but I can't seem to find it on a schematic. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
VWTortuga336
That hole should be plugged, just like the one to the left of it is.
iankarr
I found the plug in the engine compartment. Not sure if it's re-usable...and, if so, how to put it back so I don't blow myself up in the future. Thanks for your help!
Click to view attachment
VWTortuga336
I believe those plugs are made of lead. You should be able to just press it back in. You can take a punch and peen it to swell it in the bore.
ejm
If that one fell out it's only a matter of time before the other 3 do the same thing. The permanent fix is to replace them with threaded plugs just like is done with the engine oil galley plugs that tend to pop out.
Mark Henry
I'd be careful with tapping and pipe plugs, that is a weak area, don't over torque them.
I'd put the plugs in barely tight and let loctite 620 do the holding.

Another option is to peen the plug back in and then JBweld/epoxy over top. But carb will need to come off and the casting has to be super clean for the epoxy to stick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.