Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Alphaogre
All I ever hear is how reliable they are for all cars in replacing points. But I'm on my third one now headbang.gif , now when trying to get the motor running after my rebuild , it looks like the current one I have is not working again.

I got spark when we bypass the coil with a test kit , I have a Bosch igniter coil that tested good, the plugs are all on the right cylinders...so the only thing left is the Pertronix not working again right?

Are there any other options to electronic ignition? Is there something with the 914 set up that these things don't like? Or is it just my motor? confused24.gif

1970 914-4 1.7
porschetub
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Sep 4 2015, 05:39 PM) *

All I ever hear is how reliable they are for all cars in replacing points. But I'm on my third one now headbang.gif , now when trying to get the motor running after my rebuild , it looks like the current one I have is not working again.

I got spark when we bypass the coil with a test kit , I have a Bosch igniter coil that tested good, the plugs are all on the right cylinders...so the only thing left is the Pertronix not working again right?

Are there any other options to electronic ignition? Is there something with the 914 set up that these things don't like? Or is it just my motor? confused24.gif

1970 914-4 1.7

Have owned 17 air cooled VW's never seen them points friendly,I fitted my first Pertronix when they first came out,its night and day without question....just do it you will be happy,get the Ignitor 2 and matching coil,money well spent,cheers.
somd914
Been running Pertronix for four years now w/o an issue - average about 3,500 miles per year. I don't miss adjusting points.

Spoke
What coil are you using with Pertronix?

Have you had an event where the ignition was turned on for a period of time without the engine running?

I have had one in both 914's I've owned without a failure. Been in my present 914 for about 7 years.
scott_in_nh
This comes up every now and then.

Some have had problems most have not.

Although the install base is smaller, I had not heard of any Hot-Spark failures and have used one myself for about 4 years and 24k without a problem.

They are less expensive too - so why not give one a shot you have nothing to lose...
rmital
...but as the Crusty one has said in the past...."keep points in the glove box just in case".
76-914
I've never had a problem in 5yr's. I do keep a spare set in the car. A spare set of Petronix, that is. Why would I want to go thru setting the point gap on the roadside?
PS, call Petronix. They have a service dept. with some sharp guys. IIRC, their website list the phone number.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Sep 4 2015, 09:24 AM) *

This comes up every now and then.

Some have had problems most have not.

Although the install base is smaller, I had not heard of any Hot-Spark failures and have used one myself for about 4 years and 24k without a problem.

They are less expensive too - so why not give one a shot you have nothing to lose...

I have a Hot-Spark unit and am going on 6 years, never heard of a failure-
Phil
cpavlenko
7 years, no problems.
Johny Blackstain
Pertronix II installed now for 8 years, no problems. I did read before installing that it's important to get a matching coil for them, "Flame Thrower", so I did so when I ordered the Pertronix. Pulled my Bosch blue before I installed & put it on the shelf. I've also read that they can burn out if you leave the ignition on too long w/out the engine running, so I never do.
turk22
I have had mine installed for 2 years now, on my 73 2L
Installed with the Bosch Blue coil, no issues.

I agree with Johny, I have heard that it is not good to have the ignition on without the car running, so I never do that either.
era vulgaris
As others have said, the ignition should never be in the "on" position for more than 3 or 4 seconds without the engine running. That will damage the pertronix unit. RTFM!!!

I've run them for years in ACVW's and in my last 1.7 914 also. Never had an issue. I always used the matching Pertronix flame thrower coil along with them as well.

There's also the Mallory Unilite dizzy if you want a step up in non-points ignition. I'm running it right now and am very happy with it. It is however, a massive step up also in price over the pertronix.
Alphaogre
So if you are needing to turn the key and not start the car when chasing down some other electrical issue or check something, do you then just disconnect the distributer from the coil? That could be the issue then....
Java2570
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Sep 4 2015, 07:00 PM) *

So if you are needing to turn the key and not start the car when chasing down some other electrical issue or check something, do you then just disconnect the distributer from the coil? That could be the issue then....

That is what I do if I'm going to be working on the car and don't want to chance frying
the Pertronix unit....just disconnect the wires from the unit to the coil. I've had mine installed for over 3 years with no issues & had one on my Karmann Ghia before that.
No problems.
iankarr
Pertronix has been great for me.

What kind of spark plug wires do you have?

From the pertronix website...

You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.
porschetub
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Sep 5 2015, 02:16 PM) *

Pertronix has been great for me.

What kind of spark plug wires do you have?

From the pertronix website...

You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

Thanks, correct as I found out @ my own expensive,it pisses me off that sellers or Pertronix don't tell you directly, this ran my budjet for my "6" from $112 to $282.
I highly recommend the Clewitt Engineering leads,very nice fit and quality.
The Ignitor 1 set-up can be used with standard solid core leads.
Leaving the key on and ruining the unit....?? is this a wives tale or fact or is it really cause people run the wrong coil or other reasons,never happened to me,can someone prove it.
bretth
Years ago i had one die on me on my 68 camper. I hate the fact that you cant leave the ignition on. Every year when i get my car inspection or alignment i have to switch back to the damn points because i don't trust the mechanics to not leave it on while they check the lights and directionals.
Al Meredith
I always carry a spare distributor with points installed. I time the spare beforehand so if I get a failed protronix I just have to slip it in and go. I have never had one fail though.
pete000
Can you run the Bosch Blue coil with the Pertronix?
Spoke
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Sep 4 2015, 07:00 PM) *

Yes, I disconnect the +12V wire from the coil then turn the ignition on without running the engine.

What can happen if you leave the ignition on with the engine not running is if the hall effect sensor is aligned with one of the magnets in the shaft piece, the FET switch will be on and the coil will have constant 12V across it and high currents will flow. These high currents (high power) for a length of time can damage the FET switch.

They may have changed this issue with newer models but I don't know for sure. They still have this Q/A in their troubleshooting guide:

What will happen if I leave the ignition switch on when the engine is not running?

Leaving the ignition switch on when the engine is not running, can cause permanent damage to the ignition system, and related components. This does not apply to the accessory position of the ignition switch.
DBCooper
+1 - It isn't the Pertronix, it's you.

Customary practice in servicing VW engines with traditional points is to use the ignition to set timing, to find top center when adjusting valves, leaving the ignition on to troubleshoot, or to run some accessory, ALL of which will kill solid state ignition. So stop doing that. And yes, Pertronix will function normally with a Bosch blue coil.

catsltd
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 21 2015, 08:44 AM) *

+1 - It isn't the Pertronix, it's you.

Customary practice in servicing VW engines with traditional points is to use the ignition to set timing, to find top center when adjusting valves, leaving the ignition on to troubleshoot, or to run some accessory, ALL of which will kill solid state ignition. So stop doing that. And yes, Pertronix will function normally with a Bosch blue coil.

I have the Igniitor 2 I just bought from Pelican,which I would sell you,Not used.

I bought the Mallory,so dont need it.
I have the ignitor 1 in my 1.8L and love it,bought my advance is not working so I am going to install the unilite.

Let me know,I could save you a couple bucks from list price.
Grant
era vulgaris
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 4 2015, 10:41 PM) *

Leaving the key on and ruining the unit....?? is this a wives tale or fact or is it really cause people run the wrong coil or other reasons,never happened to me,can someone prove it.

RTFM!!! If you don't know what that stands for, look it up! wink.gif

Look at the FAQ on page 2
http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/p...nitor12vpos.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.