Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body Repair Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I am asking for some help from the body repair guys on the forum. I had some body work done on my 74 and in doing so we found about 5/8" thick of bondo filler on spot about 10" square. We cut through this area of bondo, did the required repairs and welded the cut area. So, there in about a 1/2' wide area at the weld line.
I am an amateur at bondo, and I can read the instructions, but I would like to hear from you guys on any tips, tools or methods. Thanks. Mike confused24.gif
JoeDees
Use as little as you possibly can. Extra metal work pays off in the long run.
JoeDees
And pictures would be extremely helpful.
914Mels
Resist the urge to stir in the hardener, use a putty knife or plastic applicator in a flat sweeping motion to mix. mix on a nonporous surface, cardboard will absorb the catalyst, a flat piece of plastic or old window glass works great. Use acetone to clean up your tools. Shave off the outer layer before it gets rock hard, you'll save a lot of sanding time. Make sure the metal is clean and has some roughness for the bondo to get a bite on. Don't put bondo over paint.
Grump
YouTube has many video's on how to use bondo.

Bill
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif If you post some photos of the metal after you remove the filler we may be able to give you some positive suggestions.

Start with correcting the poor metal work. Nothing will give you more pleasure than successfully welding and finishing a metal repair. Take your time and you may be able to skip the filler all together. Here is a place to start.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107923

Or if you have lots of welding and don't want to make a life time project out of it, Some filler is ok as long as the metal work is very close.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=51775&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.